Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I'm overseeing something crucial, I don't see the issue, but double checking.

Found a YJ with a dash/cowl fire. Whole interior burned out of it. between the wheel arches and door frame are a little wavy. Nothing left of the melted dash. Besides a complete pain in the ass to clean up. Any reasons to avoid it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd have concerns about the steel having been weakened by the heat of the fire, especially if panels/tub is already wavy, but I don't have any professional experience/education/whatever to back up those heebe-jeebies...so I could be concerned over nothing. But then, I'd assume full cage work is going in/tied to the frame, so it's probably a moot point anyways.

I'd still be checking the frame real carefully just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If your going to cage it, metal fatigue in the body is not an issue. As long as the frame didn't get to hot your OK.

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The frame, and even body mounts, were unscathed. Yes, full cage. Off to try and find a 'crispy' build.

Nothing left of the steering wheel :laughing:

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Unless I'm overseeing something crucial, I don't see the issue, but double checking.

Found a YJ with a dash/cowl fire. Whole interior burned out of it. between the wheel arches and door frame are a little wavy. Nothing left of the melted dash. Besides a complete pain in the ass to clean up. Any reasons to avoid it?
How much if it are you using? If you're going to be scrapping or swapping out most of the parts, it's probably better to buy a high mileage running one and part it out. I've parted a few out and wound up with the frame and body for next to nothing, or even made money selling what's un-needed.

With a burnt one, you're stuck throwing that stuff out instead of selling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts