Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some help here,

The other day I burned up my dewalt chop saw, I've had this thing for about 2 years now and have abused it routinly without any trouble, but a piece of 6 X 2 channel was more than it could handle, and I let a little too much smoke out. Anyway, I took it apart, and found (as I suspected) burned up brushes. so no biggie, a few minutes and 10 bucks out of my pocket, and new brushes were on the way from dewalt, however after installing them tonight, and trying to cut some 2" tube, I noticed it smoking and not sounding right again. Anyway I took it apart, and my 10 bucks went up in smoke again :mad3: Now it looks like the rotor is in pretty bad shape, I can get a new one from dewalt, but that's quite a bit more money, I wondering if I should bother, or look for something new. the saw was a fairly good one (and a gift from my wife) so I hate to give up too easy, but don't want to keep throwing money at it if it's not worth it. Any of you electronic wizards out there think of anything else that could be causing a problem?

As always, any advice appreciated

Chad

·
Registered
773 Posts
i bought a dewalt chop saw and it lasted 2 months. i took it to dewalts repair facility and they sent me a 175.00 bill. i told them to keep and and just kept using the cheapo clark chop saw that just keeps on going. good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My dad just picked up a Makita. Didnt see what model it was but it was $130 bucks. I geuss we will see how well it holds up.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I took two bad Dewalts to the tool repair place. A week later they call me with a quote, $140, I said ok, the guy said $140 for one, and $175 for the other, I told him to keep them. I now have a cheap Ryobi, and it is on its way out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought my Ryobi 5 days ago and it is already dead. What a piece of junk.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
I'm very partial to Milwaukee.

I've had good experience with older Dewalt products. I've destroyed just about every newer Dewalt that I've picked up in record time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT, BUT AT HOME DEPOT, THEY WILL RETURN JUST ABOUT ANYTHING, JUST A THOUGHT :confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
had ryobi, burned up, had dewalt, smoked and burnt up

now have Milwaukee HD chop saw and works great :)

I chop up 2" .25 all the time no problem

·
Registered
264 Posts
My dad has used a Jepson (are they still around?) for 10+ years and it is still going strong. I've got a cheap HF band saw that works well but is very slow.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
JHarsany said:
My dad has used a Jepson (are they still around?) for 10+ years and it is still going strong. I've got a cheap HF band saw that works well but is very slow.
My dad had a Jepson 10" that was 15 years old and worked perfectly but it was stolen. :mad3: Any one know if they are still around?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I like my Makita..Have the cordless drills too..one over 8 years and lots of usage!..

.My saw is a couple of years old..but still works flawlessly...Dont ask what kind of material this has seen!...You can pick up a new one less than the Dewalt! Makita chop saw for $160.00 ..just my dollar 298!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Check the commutator, if they are blackened it will cause a lot of resistance and fry your brushes prematurely.

Happened to me dozens of times with RC motors, I gotta true the commutator alllll the time, gotta love that lathe :D

EDIT: looks like someone else mentioned cleaning up the commutator.. Just be real careful not to get it too off, or get divits in it and etc, or else it won't work so well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts