Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
It drives MUCH better now than it did with the short arm lift on it. You would be fine either way on the Road. Something to consider is if your driving 70 miles on the road (Mainly Interstate) You might consider the radius arm with four links or a Four Link, The three link set up I have is great and I would do it the same if I did it again, But I don't drive mine more that a few miles at on the road and not at high speeds, Not that I don't trust it, Like I said it drives really really good. Its just the fact that I have only one upper and if it were to fail then it would make for a bad day at 65 miles an hour, At least on a 4 link set up you have to have two links fail. Just the way I see it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Fenders

I started the fenders yesterday, I was able to get one mostly mocked and fitted.

Before Pictures

Cut away

I began laying them out with some measurements and blue tape on the garage floor, I do not have a 1.5 Tube Dia, So I decide I would do a little different look and angle mine.

Measurements are 8 7/8 X 41 is the square measurement, Then I decided on my angle and layed that out inside the squared area. The angle is ~50 degrees.

Top Fender

Side Bar

Mocked up on the Fenders

Using Templates to cut out the 18 gauge sheet metal

That is as far as got last night, I post as I make some progress. The other side should be allot quicker, Less figuring to do. And don't be hating on the pink :flipoff2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
It drives MUCH better now than it did with the short arm lift on it. You would be fine either way on the Road. Something to consider is if your driving 70 miles on the road (Mainly Interstate) You might consider the radius arm with four links or a Four Link, The three link set up I have is great and I would do it the same if I did it again, But I don't drive mine more that a few miles at on the road and not at high speeds, Not that I don't trust it, Like I said it drives really really good. Its just the fact that I have only one upper and if it were to fail then it would make for a bad day at 65 miles an hour, At least on a 4 link set up you have to have two links fail. Just the way I see it.
Good point, Mike. Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I sent over some info to Mud at Mud Pro Metal works, He is bending up my front winch mount and bumper mounts, He is also going to come up a fair lead mount, Should be interesting. May even throw some D hole mounts on there also.

Here are the drawings I sent him.

Here is the what the front hoop bar will look like, It will be mounted to the front face for the bumper mount.

These are just the parts drawings, I will post when I have the whole thing together.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
With some help from Kyle I finished up the fenders yesterday in time for a night ride up to Brown Mtn with the family and the jammers.

Here are some pictures from building fenders,

I got the sheet metal all tacked on and ground down ( I hate sheet metal and body work )

I picked up some " Metal Filled Bondo" to help smooth the connection between the sheet metal and tubes, It was my first time deal with it. All in all it turned out good.

Filled and roughly sanded

Just after finale sanding and just before primer.

And here is the finale product, I will get some of shots with both fenders in it, when I get a chance to clean it, it was little muddy last night :D
(Sorry it fuzzy, Kyle was takin the pictures :flipoff2:)

Paint flat black for now (Thats what i had), I may try my hand at matching them to the body color, or at least a semi gloss black.

I am very happy with how they turned out, there by no means show room type fenders, but I didn't intend from them to be.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Well I got it together for the flats this weekend,

Went ahead and mounted the bumper plate, Still have to do the tube work and mount the fair lead mount, but I needed something to get me by for the weekend, I kind like the less is more look.

Both Fenders installed

See Yall Saturday.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
I am working on the front hoop, Turning out nicely, The angles on the saw are a not enough so I have to cut them by hand with a cut off wheel. I got the hoop tacked on and I am I cutting the spreaders that will brace it back to the top of the bumper.

Here are some pics so far

Here is the angle it will sit at

I will update as I make progress

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Few pics from todays progress. I got one of the spreaders shaped and started getting it to fit.

gives you the idea of what I am doing, I also going to plate a little of the bottom of the hoop to extend the winch mounting area.

Still a bit more to do...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Progress on the front bumper

Worked on the bumper a little today, Got the layout pretty much complete, I am still on the fence about D-Hole mounts. Not sure I want them hanging out in front of the hoop, Seems to me that they would get hung up. I may look at another option.

First off I finished up my spreader that will run from the hoop back to the top of the winch mount.

I made the first one by trial and error. I am using a degree finder and a HF tube notcher along with a Flap wheel and cut off disc on a grinder.

First one complete

After making the first one, I made a template using some note book paper.

Traced around the paper and cut it out. If you using this method, be sure to pay close attention to the angles and center lines on the tube.

Fitted to the hoop

I added a cross bar below the bumper plate to add support to the fairlead mount, I wanted to push it forward a little more to allow more room.

Cross tube

I plated the top of the cross tube with some 3/16 plate to allow the fairlead mount to set flush
You can see the edge of the plate here, I fitted it and bent the points down to fit in the joint better.

I went ahead and burned the hoop and cross bar on before I ran out of time today. Needed those burned in before I can weld the top filler plate in, I am plating the bottom of the hoop from the cross bar down. Need to pick up some flat steel.

Some of my welds, I think I did alright for a noob and a 110v welder.

201 - 220 of 257 Posts