Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Finished up a few small items, Most to make the wife more comfortable in the jeep. You know how that goes.
Reworked the dash again, Just tried to make simpler, The wife even helped :flipoff2:
054.jpg

Ever since I made the front bumper she has been on me about adding the lights back, I didn't want to crowd it with to many lights, But I think it turned out ok, I just welded a small tab I got from Mud Pro to the winch fair lead. Worked out great.
050.jpg

051.jpg

Added a couple cheapo lights in the wheel well to spot in front of the tires in hopes to add a wider light pattern at night.
048.jpg

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
Here is what Mud has come up with so far on the diff cover, This a prototype that is mocked up in sheet metal, the finale piece will be out of 3/8 material.

Talking with Mud, I don't believe it needs a fill plug in the cover since the 8.8 has a fill plug in the housing. What do you guys think, does it need a fill plug?

Ford 8.8 001.jpg

Ford 8.8 002.jpg

The finale goal is that this will be a product that will be offered standard on Mud Pros web site.

www.mudprometalworks.com

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I have been having issues with my Ballistics Joints. The issue is that there getting loose and rattling. Researching it I see it has been brought to there attention and the fix is a solid race. I spoke with Ballistics and got some new races. The races I had were the "ribbed" or hollow ones, which seem to not be holding up. I will take pictures of the rebuild and see what they look like a year later and report back here.

Also I picked up some 2'' wheel spacers to solve a frame, link, coil bucket, steering box rubbing issue I have.

Mud has finished the prototype for the 8.8 diff cover, time for some testing :D, I will post some pictures as soon as I get time to put it on. It looks great and weighs 13 pounds. Once the bugs are worked out it will be offered on his site.

So I have a question, I need the thickness of a 4.88 ring gear, The 8.8 will go to a 5.13 so that would be even better if someone had one, Just need to be sure the clearance is where it needs to be.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
Diff cover looks great. I just picked up a Crane cover for my 8.8 and wanted the extra beef so I understand not going with Solid.

How are the creeper joints holding up? Oh and who did you get the wheel spacers from? I need to get a set too.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #247 (Edited)
I picked the wheel spaces up used from a guy on my local forum for around a $100 shipped, Nothing special but I am happy with them. Not sure on the brand.
085.jpg

Here are the pictures of the 8.8 Diff Cover from Mud Pro, There not listed for sale yet, I have to finish testing it first :D

Cover is 3/8 material, PreWelded, and Air Pressure tested for leaks. Hardware is 5/16 - 18 pitch 3/4 in lenght, The holes are counter sunk to help protect the hardware. The mounting surface is machined, but I didn't feel it was needed, but he wanted to see how it would turn out. I compared three non-machined to a this one on a housing and you cant tell the difference, there is less than a 16th of a gap at any point and it pulled tight with no RTV. I am very impressed with his work.

086.jpg

088.jpg

090.jpg

091.jpg

Next thing is to paint it, I will update at that point.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
Diff cover looks great. I just picked up a Crane cover for my 8.8 and wanted the extra beef so I understand not going with Solid.

How are the creeper joints holding up? Oh and who did you get the wheel spacers from? I need to get a set too.
The Creeper joints are doing very well and have no play in them what so ever. When I order the rear joints I will get Creepers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
id like to pick one of those covers up and drill/weld in a fill and drain plug. i hate taking my riddler cover off every time i wanna change my fluid...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey man this i really nice build. I was wondering how the 2.5L was holding up? Do you plan on changing it out for a bigger motor down the road or is it enough to do everything you want it to do?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Looks great i really like the build up. Keep up the Fab!
Thanks, Working on a Hard Top at the moment.

Hey man this i really nice build. I was wondering how the 2.5L was holding up? Do you plan on changing it out for a bigger motor down the road or is it enough to do everything you want it to do?
Its fine for what I use it for, right now there are no plans for a motor swap. I do plan to re-gear it soon. I drive it very little on the road. The motor is holding up just fine, I have around a 100k on it, 10k in the last 8 years.

Down fall is wheel speed and the ability to "power" up. I don't mind not having that due to a wife and kids that wheel with me, so we crawl most of the time.

241 - 257 of 257 Posts