Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
always wandered what you drove around! that steerin is nuts. its almost the same size as your 30 :eek:
A jeep of course,

I hope to be done with the front in the next week, My joints should be here pretty soon, I will be nice to drive it.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
If you are buying 3/4 heims I would spend the extra $2 or $3 dollars and buy 7/8 heims.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you are buying 3/4 heims I would spend the extra $2 or $3 dollars and buy 7/8 heims.
I had the 3/4 heims left over from some short arms I built a while back. But I end up doing Creeper and Ballistic flex joints.

By the way I am following your build,

Looking good.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Link Ends

Got my Crawler ends today, Thanks "Indy Will"

Man they make the 3/4 heims look silly small

Here is a mock up of how I doing the lower links, Links will be around 34 inches, I will get an exact measurement when there welded up

I used a scrap piece of DOM to show what I am doing.

I am going to weld the Ballistic Joint the tube and Tap the other end for the Crawler Joint.

I am so glad I decided to use the flex joints

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
Got my Crawler ends today, Thanks "Indy Will"

Man they make the 3/4 heims look silly small

Here is a mock up of how I doing the lower links, Links will be around 34 inches, I will get an exact measurement when there welded up

I used a scrap piece of DOM to show what I am doing.

I am going to weld the Ballistic Joint the tube and Tap the other end for the Crawler Joint.

I am so glad I decided to use the flex joints
This is the same setup Im using for my project 3 link. My lowers are 35" long too. Which way are you orienting the links? Adjustable at the frame or axle?

·
Registered
718 Posts
where did you get the yoke for the 8.8? Is it the one made by yukon? build looks good by the way:smokin:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is the same setup Im using for my project 3 link. My lowers are 35" long too. Which way are you orienting the links? Adjustable at the frame or axle?
I am putting the adjustable joint at the frame end, At least that was the idea before the Crawler joints. I will most likely keep it that way, my thinking was the frame side may be more protected, Just don't want to bogger up the treads on the adjustable end.

where did you get the yoke for the 8.8? Is it the one made by yukon? build looks good by the way:smokin:
My buddy works for a big rig rear end service center, He had his boss order it through a vendor. It was $40.00.

If your looking, You might check with a rear end shop, It is a 1330 yoke, I using a 1310 to 1330 u joint.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finished the Steering side of the front

Well I was able to finish the truss today. That completes the front steering. All thats left for the front is the 3 link.

Next I will start on the links for the front.

I am going to drive it tomorrow and see how it handles, Hasn't moved in 6 months. I will be nice to just drive it again.

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
I am putting the adjustable joint at the frame end, At least that was the idea before the Crawler joints. I will most likely keep it that way, my thinking was the frame side may be more protected, Just don't want to bogger up the treads on the adjustable end.
That was my thinking also, good to see Im not the only one who thought that way.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Good deal. As far as my build its getting a lot closer. The front suspension is done pretty well. Im going to try to redo my trac-bar and make it straight.
How do you like your bedliner. I won also and have some to put in my rig.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good deal. As far as my build its getting a lot closer. The front suspension is done pretty well. Im going to try to redo my trac-bar and make it straight.
How do you like your bedliner. I won also and have some to put in my rig.
Glad to hear your getting close on your build, I have to start linking the front this weekend, Shouldn't be all that hard. The rear is what is going to be the biggy.

As for the liner, I love the way it looks and feels, Today was the first day driving it since the install so I haven't used it enough to tell how it going to hold up. I did notice on my door sills where I wrapped it over, I didn't get the paint roughed up enough in a little spot and it flaked off, So be sure to scuff it good.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well it drove pretty good, The steering feels very precise and quick.

I moved my rear axle back a inch or so with some short arms I built a while back for the front the fix a caster issue. Well I now have the factory rears on the front until I get my front arms built. While doing a getto flex test on a mound of dirt at my shop I realize the rear tire are getting into the bumper "wrap a rounds". I got the bumper off a CJ we have.

So I took the sawall to it and solved that issue. This is just a temp fix so I can wheel it at a local spot Sunday. I building a rear fold down carrier.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well I took it out this weekend and hit some trails, Had a great time meet some guys up at a local OHV, Fairly easy trails but I wanted to take it easy first time out.

I really need to get the short arms off the front there killing the ride on the road and trail.

Hopefully I will get my brackets this week so i can start that this weekend. Talked to Dan at Ruff Stuff he said the brackets were out of stock (not like Ruff Stuff) but he should be able to ship them last Friday or this Monday.

Question

What are you guys feeling on separation at the frame on upper and lower link mounts? I know I will have to put it where I can.

Just wanted to know if I should try to place them with more or less separation?

This is a Front 3 link, with a Track bar ,2 lowers, One upper on driver side off the top of the diff, about 8 1/2 inches of separation at the axle.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Ive always ran 8 or 9 inches at the axle and about 70 percent of that on the chassis. When I ran my 3 link in the calculator it loved 8 at teh axle and 6 at the chassis.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ive always ran 8 or 9 inches at the axle and about 70 percent of that on the chassis. When I ran my 3 link in the calculator it loved 8 at teh axle and 6 at the chassis.
Thanks,

I was hoping you might see that question.

I will aim for around 6 inches at the frame or as close as I can get.

Should I still go for around 70% length on my upper?

Debating with a buddy who builds he thinks it should be longer. More like 90%.

I am thinking that if my lowers end up 34-35 inches, At 70% is like 24 inches.
90% is 30 inches.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
On the front my upper is pretty much the same as the lowers.
I talked with Triaged who made the 4 link calculator and thats what he thinks is the best. All 3 of my links are 40"

21 - 40 of 257 Posts