Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
On the front my upper is pretty much the same as the lowers.
I talked with Triaged who made the 4 link calculator and thats what he thinks is the best. All 3 of my links are 40"
Your the man,

thanks again,

I will post up my progress

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Sounds good. Just trying to help. Im hoping to get mine out of the shop tomorrow or wed and flex it out a little to see how it works. Might be a little tough without seats or brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I like the steering but I would change one thing. I would have the bolts coming up through the knuckle instead of down. it would suck to have to repair on the trail and have messed up the threads on the bolt. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I like the steering but I would change one thing. I would have the bolts coming up through the knuckle instead of down. it would suck to have to repair on the trail and have messed up the threads on the bolt. Keep up the good work.
very good point. but, i wonder if he tried that and didnt have enough clearance.
on the other hand, if thenut on the bottom was struck hard enough by a rock [or curb, or trash can, etc.] that might unscrew the nut...maybe.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
very good point. but, i wonder if he tried that and didnt have enough clearance.
on the other hand, if thenut on the bottom was struck hard enough by a rock [or curb, or trash can, etc.] that might unscrew the nut...maybe.
Good point by both of you,

The bolt will go in either way, My reasoning was if the nut were to come off I would just lose the nut (and steering), The other way I would lose the bolt and nut.

It would take a hit just the right way the get it up into the bolt with it being as close to the wheel/tire.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I wouldn't worry about hitting that bolt on a rock. I have never seen it happen and a rock would have to get way up in there to hit it. I never understood why people ran the bolt upside down on the steering. I had to run my bolt with the nut on the bottom because it would not fit the other way because it hit the rim. But if you had rims with less backspacing it would probably not be an issue.

Thanks for the link to DIY4X.COM Their prices are great! Like 1/4 the price of bluetorch or anyone else.

Build looks great. Hurry up and get this thing 3 linked!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I wouldn't worry about hitting that bolt on a rock. I have never seen it happen and a rock would have to get way up in there to hit it. I never understood why people ran the bolt upside down on the steering. I had to run my bolt with the nut on the bottom because it would not fit the other way because it hit the rim. But if you had rims with less backspacing it would probably not be an issue.

Thanks for the link to DIY4X.COM Their prices are great! Like 1/4 the price of bluetorch or anyone else.

Build looks great. Hurry up and get this thing 3 linked!
Thanks, That was my thoughts also on the bolt.

I have only gotten some gussets from DIY4X.com, Kinda wanted to see what I was getting before ordering allot of things. The gussets are very nice and look to have been cut with quality.

So I will order from them again.

I will work some on the links this weekend, Being a Mothers Day, I am sure I will be limited in garage time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Frame link Mounts

I am still working with Dan at Ruff Stuff to get my frame brackets, He is having some trouble getting his hands on them to ship (Not that I have the time to mount them yet).

Dan called me last night to let me know about the delay, I am very pleased with the customer service givin by Dan at Ruff Stuff, The fact he called me is unheard of, I mean I ordered less than $50 worth of stuff and he's treating me like I ordered $1000 worth. It's kinda nice to know you get just as good service even if your the little guy, I will buy from them if they sell it.

Thanks Dan :beer:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Upper Link

I am in the process of getting the upper link layed out.

Should I keep the upper link parallel with lowers (Side To Side) or should I have some angle in it, I know the axle end of the link will need to have a angle in it to fit the mount properly. Should I try to get more or less angle. Just not sure whats best.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well on the upper link I going to keep it parallel with the lowers.

Still waiting on my Link Brackets, Dan said he is having troubles getting them.

I am leaving for the beach on Saturday, So It will be Memorial Day Weekend before I can get any more done, Hopefully my brackets will be here by then.

Hopefully I will be at the 4x4cross on Saturday the 23rd watching some locals race.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I am in the process of getting the upper link layed out.

Should I keep the upper link parallel with lowers (Side To Side) or should I have some angle in it, I know the axle end of the link will need to have a angle in it to fit the mount properly. Should I try to get more or less angle. Just not sure whats best.
Build is looking good Mike. Nice work.

As for the link, leaving it in a parallel position will result in a very "factory" type feel. It will perform great, theres absolutley nothing wrong with it. Keep things to note while your doing this: If you make the upper link longer than the lowers than the pinion will rotate upwards during travel, which is a good thing. 2nd, frame end separation (or axle) will change anti-squat values. So make your upper, frame end mount with 3-4-5 holes (on being parallel) and experiment. Like I always tell my friends " It need to be right, but we arent building NASA spaceships". Give yourself enough adjustment and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Build is looking good Mike. Nice work.

As for the link, leaving it in a parallel position will result in a very "factory" type feel. It will perform great, theres absolutley nothing wrong with it. Keep things to note while your doing this: If you make the upper link longer than the lowers than the pinion will rotate upwards during travel, which is a good thing. 2nd, frame end separation (or axle) will change anti-squat values. So make your upper, frame end mount with 3-4-5 holes (on being parallel) and experiment. Like I always tell my friends " It need to be right, but we arent building NASA spaceships". Give yourself enough adjustment and you will be fine.
Good advice,

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I know this is off topic, but did you change out your master cylinder for your brakes? I have an 8.8 in my XJ and after bleeding the sh*t out of them they are still soft. If so what did you use?
You need to remove the rubber sill from the prop valve, This will help.

Link to Prop Valve Mod

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Frame Brackets

Well got my brackets, and man there beefy

3/8 thick material

Thanks Dan, @ Ruff Stuff

Clamped it in place

Anyone see any issues, The hang a little low, thats my concern.

I can go in front of the skid or I can notch the skid, I have enough link material. Not sure it would make that big of a difference. looking at a 34 inch link compared to a 37 inch.

The brackets will handle getting beat on, Just hate to have some thing getting hung up.

Has anyone ever notched lower side of the frame and recessed mount?

Just an Idea.

41 - 60 of 257 Posts