Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got written up today for not having wide enough fenders to cover my tires. I am curious if anyone has Bushwacker fenders and if so how do you like them?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i just read another thread and i like the look of them but 2 guys mentioned that they are thin and the bolts rip through them if you tag anything, they don't take hits very well.

i think the warns are the best bet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am running the Bushwackers on my XJ. They seem to be of good quality. As for the bolts pulling through, I simply got a larger stainless fender washer to use on the bolts and swapped the small 10-32 self tapping screws for 1/4-20's with a large fender washer on the back with a nylock castle nut. They look nice but no flare will hold up to being beaten on the rocks. Most of the trails I do are mountain passes and I don't end up killing the flares too often. I also am working on extending out my skid rails a bit to keep them at least even with the flares. My rig is my DD but it is still set up with lockers, skids, 4.56's, and 35's. I was surprised on the XJ that the inside of the flare was not trimmed back and actually reduced the tire travel somewhat. If I am going to flex a bunch, I will end up trimming the inside of the flares.

http://www.a-v-t.com/XJFront.jpg

I had to cut down the rock rails since the flares interfere and I haven't got them put back on. It has been below zero aroung here.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks alot of responding to me i thought i wasn't going to get any response just because i am a newbie.

thanks for the info!
Cobra

·
Registered
891 Posts
I doubt you'll be happy with them, a buddy of mine had them on his 4Runner and wound up hating them.
Smashed one completely off when he rubbed a tree, another one almost shattered like glass when we where wheeling in below freezing temps. (not sure what or if he hit anything)
A bunch of us are running Xenon or Warn flares, seem to hold up rather well other than having rock rash.

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Check out xeon's, they flex well when you hit shit. Stay away from that hard plastic crap.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the info. I think i am gonna take your advice and stay away from Bushwackers. I want something reliable and that looks good. I saw a jeep with big fenders once and it didn't look good made it look like a wide Hummer.
Cobra

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
6" Is huge! More to get snagged on!

I would say stay with the narrowest set you can get away with!

I have yet to measure mine to see about flares - I`m worried about flaps first!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
What about running some sort of mudflap set up?
Some thing quick releasing so you can pull them when you get to the trail.
I know it may look like something from the Dukes of Hazard, but I would do that before running flares. You could do it for a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
94YJGuy said:
6" Is huge! More to get snagged on!

I would say stay with the narrowest set you can get away with!

I have yet to measure mine to see about flares - I`m worried about flaps first!
Yeah it sucks but my tires stick out 6 inches from the body. I don't think i can get away with any smaller than 6 inches because they wouldn't work.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I go and build my own. Get some 1/16 lexan and cut and bend it in a shape like this
Code:
   _____
  /     \
 /       \
/         \
Attach that with some stainless screw, bolts, rivets and your set. 1/16 lexan is nice and pliable so it can take a beating, if you ever break one you can easily replace it. Now take the extra mojo you have and buy some :beer:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered Xenon ones. I noticed Bestop makes some lame mud bump or something and i want my Jeeps flares to look stock not like a TJ or YJ. Hopefully they cover my tire enough i think they are 5 inch.
Thanks for all the info and i'll let you know how it turns out and i'll post some pics if your interested.
Cobra

1 - 16 of 16 Posts