Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 1989 S10 Blazer 4x4. The motor is blown but i have another one to put in it. My main concern is whether or not its good off road. I plan on putting a 5" susp lift and 3" body lift. The guy only wants $300 for it. body is good interior is good. If you have any info please email me [email protected] or If you know of any parts or accessories. Thanks, Safe 4wheeling

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much am i looking at spending on the swap. and also can i swap 84 parts with it.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Most 84 parts will swap.

Find a beat to shit Ford or Dodge truck for cheap, cut everything out from the spring hangers down, and reweld under the front of the S10. If you can find a trashed first gen Bronco, or someone pulling the axles out from under theirs, they are only 1 1/2" narrower than the S10. Different backspacing on the wheels will take care of that.

Since it has a blown motor, put a good rebuild on the 700R4 that is in it, and drop in a V8.

For $300 bucks, it is a great rig to just cut the hell out of and wheel. Hit the link in my sig for good info.

EDIT: Stay away from the 5" IFS lift, and stay with a 2" body lift. 5" suspension lifts tear up chit too quick, and you will go broke trying to keep it together. The 2" body lift will give you alot more clearance to fit the V8.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the great info. I really appreciate your time. Happy trails

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I forgot to add ( hate when I re-read something and notice stuff I left out)...

You would actually be dollars ahead doing the solid front axle swap over the 5" suspension lift, if you watch what you spend and shop around. Another option is a bolt in kit to do the SFA swap. A company called Fabritech (not to be confused with FabTech) is doing a bolt in kit now using coils. I don't remember what the cost is, but that info is on the Extremist site.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate all your help. I wan't to do the straight axle swap. It scares me a litttle. Price/Time. It might sound funny but im only 20. I can weld like a fool build a plane out of bike parts and and out drink most Irish men, so it shouldn't be to bad. I would appreciate any help you or anybody else can give me.
Price=low,high
Time
Axle
I have a hobart Mig and plasma cutter. Access to a shop with lifts
and every tool you could think of. Any Info will help. Thanks lol

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Sawzall the fenders and swap in some full width axles from and old pickup. You will save $ from the IFS junk!! Then you'll have a trail happy beast... I hear the new 40" MTRs callin' your name.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts