Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for getting my first cruiser. I am looking at a 93-97, specifically 95-97, FJ80. I like the bigger motor and rear disc brakes. I am trying to find one the also has the stock lockers. What kind of things should I look for, be carefull of? I am going to want to lift it later, any best solutions?(so I can fit 35's or so) Is the TRD supercharger as cool as it sounds? Best modification is? What kind of gas mileage am I going to be getting pre, post lift. Can or is a second transmission a good idea, ie marlin gears? I currently am driving a 2002 Tacoma V6 5spd 4x4 TRD, how is the cruiser going to compare on/off road? (The Tacoma is for sale). Any newbie advice is appreciated.

·
TJK
2,308 Posts
Read this:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Then look through the FAQ at the Mud 80 board.

I love my TRD supercharger. It's a thirsty beast, however.

Fuel economy is hard to predict. Expect bad and be happy if you do ok. Or, like the rest of us, don't consider it a factor. If it is, you don't want an 80.

I have found that one transmission suffices just fine.

Lower gears are better on the trail, of course, but with a Tru-Speed installed I don't notice 35s on the highway.

An 80 will kick your Tacoma's butt off road and then blow your doors off on the way home. But I'm way biased....

:D

TJK

·
Registered
556 Posts
93 to 97 all had the "bigger" motor...and lockers available...and yes...It will kick much Tacoma ass...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts