Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
UTVGuide.net
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my 99 F250 Superduty with a new truck.

Narrowed it down to Ford & Chevy. Dodge is not an option for me (back seat too small).

4x4
Crew Cab
Short bed
Diesel
Auto Tranny

The 05 Fords seem to have some nice new features, but I also like the Allison in the Chevy.

I have heard some of the 6.0L going away rumors. Should I be concerned? Is the 5 speed Ford auto as good as an Allison?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If I had to pick between those two choices, I would pick the chevy. Alot of this is based on the fact that I have quite a few friends who have Duramax trucks and love them and the fact that my dad has a PSD and it is one big POS. I don't have any good solid reasons for you though.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The "rumors" you are hearing are likely about a planned displacement increase from 6.0 to 6.4 Litres. Think along the lines of the 6.9L IDI going to 7.3L IDI back in 88.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have quite a few friends that have and love the dmax, allison set up in the new silverado. Seems very reliable, I'd get one if I had the money

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
You just have to go drive them and see which on you like better. Me personally, i like the chevy.

·
UTVGuide.net
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove them both today.

Both are much quieter than my 99 Ford Superduty. Both seem to have better response that my 99 did stock.

Pluses for Ford
- Power rear slider (makes it usable in a crew cab)
- built in trailer brake controler
- better tow mirrors
- rear seat space seems a bit bigger

Pluses for Chevy
- built in DVD for the kids
- power telescoping mirrors

I am a bit leary of the new coil spring Ford front end. Better turning radius than my 99 for sure, but it is new and has some electronic steering stuff that I am unsure of.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
electronic steering issues??

And the allision is all it's cracked up to be.. more a name that anything else.. I know of a person who's (new)allision/Dmax was in the shop 6 times in 2 months for tranny work. #5 was for a new tranny, #6 was on a wrecker, to be traded in for a 6 speed.

And the radius arm setup isn't exactly "new" ford used it for 14 years...

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I just raced an 04 King Ranch Ford. Crewcab shortbox diesel 4x4 with an equally equipped 03 2500HD GMC. We launched at the same time, he pulled away at first while I waited for the turbo to slowly spool up (20MPH). The Duramax fully spanked the big ford, until I backed off at about 80MPH.

I have an 04 Ford f-350. I'm a bigger guy, so the roomier interior of the Ford is nice. Whenever I'm driving the duramax truck it feels like I'm too close to the steering wheel, dash and roof. It has a lot of blind spots due to ridiculously large A-pillars and on-star equipped mirror. The 2500HD actually has a firmer ride than my F-350, which I don't like. The ass end kicks out on bumps at speed which is a hazard.

I'm really impressed with how my ford turns vs. my 01 f-350. It's offroad prowess is fucking astronomical vs. other stock trucks I've driven. I actually had a set of rear duals in the air when I traversed a ditch, and all none of the power went to the aired tire. Whatever it has for a limited slip acts like a detroit except without the long list of ill-effects. Quiet interior spacious interior on the Ford. Rides nice. Lots of exterior rattles though. Have a good look at the pinch welded area along the rocker panel, it's a joke if nothing else. Ford must have specificly designed this area to rust and fall apart. Dirt gets trapped at the bottom of the doors due to lack of rockerpanels. It's a disgrace. It appears as though the engineers at ford also forgot to include a skidplate for the t-case, and didn't entirely complete the inner fenders. I can see the fucking fan spin from the side of the truck! At 12,000 kilometers the truck's engine is covered in mud, wihch is really dissapointing (in terms of long term maintainence issues)

The fit and finish of the GMC is better, and this truck would be better destined for the high-falutin crowd. The Ford is a better work truck (although I do have a few complaints)

The bottom line is neither are worth the asking price on these trucks. Up here, that's 61,000 for a loaded ford and 64,000 for an equal GM.

I'm not very fond of the new fords either. The Radius arm actually hangs down lower than the diff. So, now you have two expensive low hanging things to smash on stuff (besides the rear shock mounts)

·
Premium Member
108,049 Posts
Crowdog said:
I have heard some of the 6.0L going away rumors. Should I be concerned? Is the 5 speed Ford auto as good as an Allison?
I heard there's going to be an engine change in the 2007.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
The new front end is basically the same as the bronco and 150 front ends in 79 and before

·
Registered
70 Posts
MR4WD said:
I'm really impressed with how my ford turns vs. my 01 f-350.
Just checking, but what is the difference between your 04 vs your 01 that makes it turn better? The new steering setup wasn't released until the 05 models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got a new 2004 gmc crew cab 2500. Nice truck. I haul my 10.5 foot okanagan truck camper with a slide and pull my rig on a 16.5 flat deck trailer. Load up the kids, put in a dvd, slide out the mirrors, and go. The 6" fabtech lift helps alot too and 35" xterrains.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have hated Fords all my life, I've always had Chevys. Well, when it was time to buy a diesel, I gave all 3 a chance. I test drove several Chevys, GMCs, and Fords.... I opened the door of a Dodge, sat in it, got out of it and went home...heh, no thanks... Anyways, I still can't believe it did it, I ended up with an '05 F350 6.0 CC SRW FX4. Overall the truck freaking badass... I am extremely happy with it! Although I still like the Chevy, the Duramax and Allison is a great combo, It just seemed much smaller and had more 1/2 ton charateristics. The new 35 spline D60 in the Ford is just total beef. It rides great with the new coil setup, the turning radius is very much improved. The only negative thing I can think about is the gay ass gauges, not the looks of them, but the way they work. I want to know the actual temperature of my transmission, not if it is C or H... o well :shaking:

·
Registered
560 Posts
tekhead said:
Got a new 2004 gmc crew cab 2500. Nice truck. I haul my 10.5 foot okanagan truck camper with a slide and pull my rig on a 16.5 flat deck trailer. Load up the kids, put in a dvd, slide out the mirrors, and go. The 6" fabtech lift helps alot too and 35" xterrains.

tekhead,

Do you have a pic of your hitch setup to pull your trailer with your camper?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have a pic but I can tell you I use a Reese 18" extension off the hitch. I extended the chains and wiring. This was just enough to be able to hook up and still turn without binding the camper on the trailer. Next time I have it all hooked up I will snap a photo for you. I am planning on switching to a weight distribution hitch because the reese extension is only supposed to be loaded to 60 percent of the hitch capacity. Luckily enough in Alberta you don't get a lot of hassle when trailering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts