Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just put down a deposit on this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445872455&category=6783
Haven't had a chance to check it out in person, and I wont be able to until I'm actually picking it up.
What things should I look for to make sure the swap was done right? The current owner isn't the one who did the swap, so I'm going to have to check it out myself.
I was told though that the transmission is connected directly to the transfercase, and a custom front driveshaft was made to make it fit. (Does this mean the t-case was moved? can't think of another reason a custom front drive shaft would be necessary) Also theres longer shackles on the front to give it enough of a lift so the diff clears the oil pan, but the rear is still at the stock height, is this going to cause problems?

Also, I'm familiar with rotaries, but this is the first samurai I've owned, is there anything specific I should check (besides the usual fluids and belts) before I drive it 1500 miles home?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Rotozuk (Wayne) is probably THE most knowledgable person you will find on Rotary powered Zuks. I would PM him if I was you...

Good luck and welcome. :D

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I am diggin the tires and rims bling bling :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm not the most.. Not even close, but I'll throw my 2 cents into the pile..

Take a close look at all fab work before you drive it away. Make sure it is going to hold together.

2 main areas on converns on the 12A swap are the engine cooling. The stock samurai radiator will not cool that motor! The other item is the method they connect the transmission to the t-case. The jack shaft should have 2 u-joints, not a single u-joint. They usually have to push the t-case back a bit to make room for this jack shaft, and still have room for a radiator up front.

if you are driving it home a long distance chack your fluids, belts, and all of the other normal details..

Good luck!

-Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
VTrx7 said:

Also, I'm familiar with rotaries, but this is the first samurai I've owned, is there anything specific I should check (besides the usual fluids and belts) before I drive it 1500 miles home?
Rent a trailer and save yourself ALOT of potential problems! Even if the swap was done correctly you still may have some vibrations with the short intermediate shaft and you may be swapping U-joints on the side of the road. As others previously stated, you could also have cooling problems with it. MAKE SURE this guy is 100% certain about the way it runs and drives before driving it home. If he sounds like he is unsure, but just does not want to say "Yes sir, you are buying a P.O.S." then you better get a trailer! If you do drive it home anyway BRING TOOLS!

my 2 cents.....

Sean (Scared of HillBilly Engineering!) DeVinney

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why does the jack shaft need two u joints, so it can bend down but still have the input and output horizontal? The guy I was talking to didn't know too much about how the swap was done, and when I asked how they were connected he said the transmission and transfer case were directly connected. I'm thinking this means the output of the tranny lined up with the transfer case so only a straight shaft was needed, this sound plausible? He also said it didnt overheat, though the radiator in the picture looks tiny. Think I should probably bring along a temp gauge.

Though as long as its not a wreck I will be driving it back, half the fun of buying a new car is wondering if youre about to be stranded 1000 miles from home :)

I can also pick up the stock engine and transmission if I want it, so is there any chance they would fit in the back (along with 5 rims...)?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'd probably take the engine and tranny before I took the stock rims anyway.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts