Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie. Woohoo. I'm going to pick up a low-mileage Vortec 5.7L & 4L60E combo with the wiring harness & computer for $1500 on Saturday. The cab, bed, & 1/4 panels have already been removed from the truck. My question is, do I need to know any specifics on making sure I get everything. I've never pulled a late model engine a computer and all that new-fangled gobbledy-goop. Please help a newbiw out. Thanks, Robby.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yep, make sure you get everything.

Kinda a bad answer, I know. But try not to cut the wires if your scrappin the rest of the truck.

I am gettin a 1994 Blazer with a 4.3 and a 700r4 and I will not pull the engine,

I will cut the truck from around it. That way I wont miss anything.

Heck, I dont need anything else, just the eng and trany.

Building a Buggie..............................:p

·
Registered
254 Posts
There will be alot of wires running through the dash but the PCM is under the hood so should make things much easier as almost everything will be right there.

94 S10 may very well have a 4L60E, did you verify? The 94 that i pulled had the 4L60E with it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
odgreen said:
There will be alot of wires running through the dash but the PCM is under the hood so should make things much easier as almost everything will be right there.

94 S10 may very well have a 4L60E, did you verify? The 94 that i pulled had the 4L60E with it.
No I havn't yet. I will crawl under it before I buy it. So far it is going to be ok with me either way. But I would rather have the 700r4 for the first gear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys, I got my engine and 4L60E tranny, complete with wiring harness, a steering box, and fuelpump. When I picked up the chassis, the guy had already taken off the fenders, bed, and cab. The harness was not cut, so I was satisfied. I did verify that its a 4L60E. I will use it for a spare, if the tranny in my '93 S10 goes out. It has a 4.3L Vortec and 4L60E. The Vortec was replaced at 92k, b/c the stocker spun a bearing. However, the original Tranny now has about 142k on it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will be doing the same swap soon, I was wondering how the 4L60E is for mud and water. The E part worries me a little, but it sounds like a wicked tranny. Thanks Jay,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not actually using the 4L60E in my conversion. I am putting the Vortec 350 in my '77 FJ40 Landcruiser. The 4L60E is a spare transmission for my high mileage '93 s10 Blazer. I'm still looking for a good deal on an NV 4500 for the Cruiser(fat chance, but deals are out there). I think the 4L60E is a good tranny, b/c like odgreen says, you can custom tailor the shifts. I don't know how to do that, but its a sweet idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JeepFarm, I am using the NV 4500 b/c I'm partial to manual transmissions. I think that the 4L60E is a great tranny, but I just would rather use a manual. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see, they are better for the reason of durability. With manual you always have one or two gears to get you home or off the trail. I am getting tired of using three feet in the tricky spots so I think I am going to try out the auto! Thanks for the relpy,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. If you know of anyone with an NV 4500 that they want to part with, then please let me know. Good luck with the tranny swap. If you are interested, I would probably sell the 4L60E that I have. I only bought it as a spare, but changed the fluid in my high mileage tranny in my Blazer and it seems to be working fine. I think the computer controlling the shifts makes a big difference in the life of the tranny. I did have a full-size Blazer Sport that had the tranny go out, but that only happened when the original Torque converter decided to head south.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Now your talking, what year is the tranny 93? What kind of shape is it in? I have not been able to find very many around in the wreckers around Ont. Canada area. What would you want for it. The shipping and that stuff might be a pain in the ass though! I will see what I can come up with for the NV4500 Thanks,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know about shipping. The guy told me that the truck had @ 35k on it, but I had no way to verify b/c it was just a chassis when I picked it up. The tranny is a '96 model. The rear main seal of the engine looked like it was still in new condition when I pulled the flexplate off, so I think that the mileage is pretty low. The truck was wrecked. I would let the tranny go for $300, but I can't vouch for the cost of shipping. Let me know what you think. I will drain the fluid out of so that the shipping weight is decreased.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was the truck a 4X4! It would be nice to have a 4X4 4L60E to work with. Do you have all the wiring and connections from the tranny. Oh and would it be possible for you to sent me a pic of that bad boy! My email address is [email protected] if you would like to email me instead. Thanks Jay,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ya thanks odgreen that's why it would be nice to find a 4WD version of the 4L60E. Then I don't have to look for the shaft anyways. I guess I would probably have to change the output shaft anyway if I plan on running a D300.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JeepFarm, Its a 2WD tranny, and I have the wiring harness, but I'm not yet sure how much of it I will need to run the engine in my Landcruiser. I also brok the plastic housing for the electrical connection on the tranny (trying to unhook it too hurriedly) I just got a new Canon G5 digital camera for Christmas, so I will take some pics at my parent's house this after noon. I may need some help posting them, since I don't have any webspace anywhere, but I can email them once I take them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jay, I didn't get a chance to take any photos today. I'm shooting for tomorrow. I'll send them to you ASAP. Thanks, Robby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts