Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I currently am looking into buying a new pickup to use off road Death Valley and occasionally on road (less than 50 miles per week). I'd classify the off road driving I do as moderate to extreme. I currently have a 2009 Xtera that works great with a 1'' lift on and skid plates under the front and engine area. and 2004 Frontier XE that I rarely use. I plan to sell both of these and consolidate into 1 new 4x4 pickup.

I don't like the bigger crew cab trucks and was considering either a 2015 Frontier Pro 4x or a 2015 Tacoma with the TRD package. Does anyone have thoughts about either of these two trucks? I was also hoping to find a manual version of these which seems more difficult that anticipated.

Thank you for your advice in advance!

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Tacoma. way more aftermarket support and better built from the beginning

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Get which ever one you want. I'm a big toyota guy, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Nissan. My buddy just bought one the Nissan. I'm pretty sure the biggest reason is he just has to try to be different and doesn't want the toyota because they are popular. He had some random reasons why he thought it was better (better bed tie downs, boxed frame and 40 more HP)

Personally, I don't like the styling, it looks like a young kids truck. I don't like the small odd 6 lug pattern. The Nissan is also significantly heavier, enough to offset the 40hp. Other than that I'm sure it's a great truck, just not for me :flipoff2:

·
Vendor
3,863 Posts
Another vote for toyota. The nissan engines are ugly. Wires, cables everywhere, etc. Stupid spark plug design, tstat design. At least on the older ones.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
You Nissan **** all sound the same, you have to try to make toyotas sound like a pos to justify buying a :rainbow: Nissan. Why can't you actually list what's better?

How cute you used meme's of broken toyotas, what is there 1000 tacomas sold for every Frontier? So ya there might be more toyota failures online :rolleyes:

Since I'm an adult, I can say there is nothing wrong with a Nissan, but I think the toyota is better. There is a reason why the resale is so high.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've owned a 01 Frontier 4cyl spd 2wd since new and its been a great truck just over 200k miles on it no huge issues with it,few thousand miles ago did a trans rebuild syncros start to give and clutch other than the regular maintenance and upkeep.I personally prefer nissans over toyota I've owned other hardbody's in the past great trucks and owned a few toyotas no really negatives about those other than the years with the 3.0 liter.Yes nissan is a little behind the times on some things but I'd still buy another one new.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
You Nissan **** all sound the same, you have to try to make toyotas sound like a pos to justify buying a :rainbow: Nissan. Why can't you actually list what's better?

How cute you used meme's of broken toyotas, what is there 1000 tacomas sold for every Frontier? So ya there might be more toyota failures online :rolleyes:

Since I'm an adult, I can say there is nothing wrong with a Nissan, but I think the Toyota is better. There is a reason why the resale is so high.
Clapped out 90s and 00s pickups with diesel engines also sell for a pretty penny. We all know that slice of the used car market is 100% grounded in reality:shaking:

Shall I draw further comparisons?

The Toyotas aren't head and shoulders above the competition as the price and owners trying to justify having paid it would have you believe. Most of the Toyota/Honda hype is based off the fact that Jose and Miguel are still driving 90s Camrys and Civics which doesn't have much bearing on anything made in the last decade. If you're gonna get bent over paying for a badge at least make it a luxury badge :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I bought a loaded up 2014 Tacoma Double Cab TRD 4x4 in October of 2013 for $34K and traded it in October 2014 with 10K miles on it for $29,500.

Try that with a Nissan and let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Clapped out 90s and 00s pickups with diesel engines also sell for a pretty penny. We all know that slice of the used car market is 100% grounded in reality:shaking:

Shall I draw further comparisons?

The Toyotas aren't head and shoulders above the competition as the price and owners trying to justify having paid it would have you believe. Most of the Toyota/Honda hype is based off the fact that Jose and Miguel are still driving 90s Camrys and Civics which doesn't have much bearing on anything made in the last decade. If you're gonna get bent over paying for a badge at least make it a luxury badge :flipoff2:
The prices are inflated, but they do still have a reason for it. Most of those 90s and 00s diesels will last a very long time, get near 20 mpg and are still easy to work on.

On the other side of the coin, the 90s 4runners with the 3.0 aren't worth a shit because people know they are junk. The same goes for the 6.0 ford.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Resale value on toyotas are higher because the initial purchase price is higher, alot of stupid people do not understand that though.
With that logic a 2000 BMW 325 would be twice the price of the equivalent Honda, but it's not.

Toyota and Hondas have high resale value because people want them. People want them mostly because they are reliable and partly because other people want them.

Again, Nissans are fine, you don't have to shit talk another brand for that to be true.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Extreme wheeling with 1" lift and skid plates...okay? :confused:

OP; take each for a test drive and see which one you prefer. I considered them both when looking for a truck, and concluded I didn't like either of them. But, my needs were much different (work, rather than play).

I do prefer the look of the Taco over the Nissan. And the Taco also has superior aftermarket support.

However, if I were going off road, I wouldn't buy new. Buy an old Taco and build it. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.