Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a superduty for a DD and tow rig. Want a diesel want a manual.

I found one last week and thought I would get the boards opinion. Its a '01 crew cab, long bed, 4x4, XLT. Its got the Powerstroke, 6-speed, and manual t-case. Also has a nice shell. Big plus is it has from what I can tell well over a grand in stereo. Alpine, JL audio, soundstream.

I drove it and it handles well, brakes are good, has plenty of power. Interior is REAL clean. Minimal problems with the paint. Slight body damage in the real where previous owner backed into something(not a real bother to me).

Now the part I nee advice on is the mileage. The previous owner live in Oregon and worked in So Cal. Its got 146K. I check all the fluids including the coolant and everything looks good. From what I can tell the guy really took care of the truck.

They are asking $22k. Blue book on it is $26k.

So what do ya think? I am not in a real hurry but it sounds like a good deal other than the mileage. I know these will go 300k but what should I look at out the the normal stuff.

Mike B

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Trucks are to high out west. Buy one in Texas or somewhere else. My friend is selling his 03 PSD with 24,000 miles on it. Asking $25,000 and it is perfect.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but with a truck like that you have to worry about getting it smogged and registered in California as well as just getting it to California. Plus I need to trade in two cars to make this deal.

Thanks for the advice tho.

Mike b

·
Premium Member
108,049 Posts
TheTonka said:
Yeah but with a truck like that you have to worry about getting it smogged and registered in California as well as just getting it to California. Plus I need to trade in two cars to make this deal.

Thanks for the advice tho.

Mike b
Actually, there no smog check on diesels. Buying a truck out of state is not a problem as long as it has greater than 7500 miles. That 03 will be no problem to register in California. All those PITA rules that used to make it damn near impossible are gone.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eurobob said:

Actually, there no smog check on diesels. Buying a truck out of state is not a problem as long as it has greater than 7500 miles. That 03 will be no problem to register in California. All those PITA rules that used to make it damn near impossible are gone.
I did not know that. Good to know.

Unfortunately for me I have a specific obstacle. I have two other cars I need to trade in. I inherited a lincoln from my uncle so we are going to trade in the Tahoe and the Toyota for a real truck for me. I might go as far ast Arizona or Nevada but any farther than that and the deal becomes not so great.

Mike B

·
Registered
564 Posts
The price on that truck seems a little high. I just bought a 01 superduty with the powerstroke with 20,000 miles on it for $24000. Although it is a extended cab short bed. You should be able to find something with lower miles then that for a little bit more. IMHO

·
Registered
165 Posts
seems abit high. Last year i bought a 00F250 XLT loaded. PSD, 4x4 w/ 48000 miles and I paid under 20k for it. Truck is MINT inside and out. Just gotta look around a bit.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you guys are missing one thing on thosse deals though..... I live in California

:D

Thanks for the input though.

Mike B

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mike, I bought one from a guy (in California) that rebuilds wrecked PSD's. Mine is an 02, crew cab, short bed, 6 spd, XLT, and had only 1500 miles (not a typo) when I bought it. The ONLY thing wrong with it is the salvage title. $26,000. One other great thing about the deal is it came back in to the DMV at a $10,000 value so that is what the registration fees are based on (about $170 a year :)
PM or Email me if you would like more info.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gopar68 said:
Mike, I bought one from a guy (in California) that rebuilds wrecked PSD's. Mine is an 02, crew cab, short bed, 6 spd, XLT, and had only 1500 miles (not a typo) when I bought it. The ONLY thing wrong with it is the salvage title. $26,000. One other great thing about the deal is it came back in to the DMV at a $10,000 value so that is what the registration fees are based on (about $170 a year :)
PM or Email me if you would like more info.
Now thats a deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts