Pirate 4x4 banner

How much more would you pay to support a local gun store in a rural area?

• Nope, not a penny.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Less than 5%

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Up to 10%

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Come on, who really bakes their bacon?

Votes: 3 5.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local gunsmith has moved from just doing gunsmithing to retail. He didn't start out as a store, he was only planning on doing gunsmithing. His start was mail order Ruger 10/22 triggers as a sideline. Then he started building ARclones. Now he has started to stock some firearms. I was looking the other day, I don't have a CCW for me, I can't/wouldn't carry at work. His prices are high, but I'm about $15 in fuel from the next closest place. He is a good guy, when I was looking for a rifle for Appleseed, he declined, and told me to go to BiMart.

How much more would you pay to support a local store, in a rural area?

Yeah, I'll probably hose the poll...

·
Registered
415 Posts
There is a shop in town that has the best selection, best staff, and best customer service. That certainly has some extra value. In general I'll pay about 10% more for smaller items there, up to $50 on a larger item like a firearm. If there prices are above that, I usually offer what I'm willing to pay - sometimes they take it, sometimes not. They seem to understand.

I've found they are much more willing to deal on special order items as they haven't had capital tied up in it for months. Maybe your guy would be the same way.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Retail stores are great in that they usually have what you want right there. You can hold it and make sure that's what you want.

If you already know exactly what you want and can wait then just order off the internet.

*protip* every firearm retailer/dealer/distributer is hurting for sales right now. Don't be afraid to low ball a price. But if I was a buying, I would buy this month or next.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you already know exactly what you want and can wait then just order off the internet.

*protip* every firearm retailer/dealer/distributer is hurting for sales right now. Don't be afraid to low ball a price. But if I was a buying, I would buy this month or next.
But it's even further to the closest store that will gladly do transfers. I didn't ask, but I would bet he will. He told me he'll order at cost + percentage (don't remember what he quoted), too. He has done a couple of AR lower transfers for me. He has been saying no handguns, evidently it's another layer of paperwork.

I'm eyeballing his XDs. He had a Shield .40, too, but when I lowered it and closed my eyes, the sights didn't come back to alignment. The XDs is about $40 over internet.

Why buy this month or next?

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I have a local gunsmith who has held stuff fo me without payment, waived various FEES, and other discounts. I think he does this to show his appreciation for good customers...especially those who walk in to grab a magazine and end up walking out with a gun.

Plus, this LGS prices are't outrageuos and sometimes will match online prices on certain things.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
But it's even further to the closest store that will gladly do transfers. I didn't ask, but I would bet he will. He told me he'll order at cost + percentage (don't remember what he quoted), too. He has done a couple of AR lower transfers for me. He has been saying no handguns, evidently it's another layer of paperwork.

I'm eyeballing his XDs. He had a Shield .40, too, but when I lowered it and closed my eyes, the sights didn't come back to alignment. The XDs is about $40 over internet.

Why buy this month or next?
Because the stores need to move inventory. Some are moving product for a loss.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'd do 10-20% over typically. If the guy is really cool and has good customer service I usually try as hard as possible to buy from them.

Most of ours are not cool, have lousy customer service and still try to charge more. I don't support them.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I try to spend money there if they deserve it. Unfortunately most of the shops here are full of assholes and all they stock is AR15s and hand guns.

Finding a shop with any surplus or reloading equipment is like trying to find the end of a rainbow.

There is a hole in the wall shop down the street that makes most their money on transfers. The floor of the shop is less than 100 sq ft. :grinpimp: $25 transfer fees is way less than most places here.

·
Wear Your Seatbelts
3,198 Posts
I have no problem at all paying extra to help out the local guy as long as he doesn't think I'm a money tree. Unfortunately in NJ there aren't many small local shops left, especially near me.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
My county has a couple hundred dealers, but when you ask the average Joe on the street, there is one that everyone knows. These guys regularly charge ~40% more than any advertised price. When I asked if they would just transfer for me if I prepaid, they wanted to charge me $200 (on a $450 glock).

When I asked why, they were very open in stating that they wanted me to buy what they had in stock, but didn't seem to understand why I wasn't going to pay their price.

Fuck those guys. I'll send newbs to ANY other shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this David In Yacolt we are talking about? I haven't actually purchased anything from him but I do plan on getting a few barrels threaded, I am curious to see how his inventory grows though! He is a cool dude for sure. His 10/22s kick butt

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
My county has a couple hundred dealers, but when you ask the average Joe on the street, there is one that everyone knows. These guys regularly charge ~40% more than any advertised price. When I asked if they would just transfer for me if I prepaid, they wanted to charge me $200 (on a $450 glock).

When I asked why, they were very open in stating that they wanted me to buy what they had in stock, but didn't seem to understand why I wasn't going to pay their price.

Fuck those guys. I'll send newbs to ANY other shop.
Most shops in the bay area are like that. $175-250 transfer fee on anything except a FTF (only because they're not allowed to). I found a pawn shop that will do new transfers for $10 + DROS.

As for LGS, I'd probably say ~10% over is about all I'm willing to do. They need to make money and not having to wait for shipping + waiting period is nice. Otherwise, sorry, but stop marking your junk up like it's the only place in the world to find it. "Oh but this is special, it's a CA version only we make." :shaking: AKA, we put a BB on it.

The gun culture here is so ass backwards.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Is this David In Yacolt we are talking about? I haven't actually purchased anything from him but I do plan on getting a few barrels threaded, I am curious to see how his inventory grows though! He is a cool dude for sure. His 10/22s kick butt
Yacolt? I'm offended, he's (edit: his store is) in Amboy. :flipoff2:

He and I talked about his inventory growing, he's going to be patient, and reinvest what he makes in sales. The Ruger triggers and his marksman rifle services will be his bread and butter for a long time.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
There's an only-open-weekends shop just down the road from my buddy's place, coffee's always on, cookies on the counter...prices are a bit high but they're good guys. I don't pay much attention to how much higher, I just buy stuff, bullshit for twice as long as I expected, then carry on my merry way.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My local guy usually gets me stuff for 10-15% less than I can find it anywhere online. I dont know if its because I do a lot of business with him, or he does that for everybody, but he takes really good care of me. Just picked up a set of black polymer magpul back up sights today for $50 out the door.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Both my local shops are owned by the same family. They have amazing prices, the first few times I was looking at stuff I went home to check prices and found they beat pretty much anywhere I could find it. If I do find an amazing deal online the older of the stores will do free transfers as long as you give them a chance to beat the price.

I did go to another shop/range that isn't much further and the staff was extremely helpful. I think I am going to them when I start buying suppressors. Their prices are a little higher but they seem to have their crap together about the class 3 stuff.

I will pay more for service. If the service is just ok I will price shop

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I'd be willing to do up to 10%-ish for good service, being able to handle whatever it is I am looking to buy before I buy, and having it right there ready to either walk out with, or sign the papers to start the IL wait clock. The service and the relationship can be worth a premium, but if they are no different than say a gander mountain or dicks, then I will buy online and wait every time.

My local welding supply is more than what I can pay online, but the service is unbeatable. I am willing to pay extra for that service.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I'm not answering the poll since I have no idea how much more I am paying, but I typically bought my stuff at one store, when I lived in Florida. I've only lived in AZ for about ten days so far and haven't even looked for a gun store yet.

The guy back in FL wasn't just my vendor; I was his. He purchased paint from me to restore stuff that he collected, so I basically bought everything I could from him.

In fact, he bought my Mighty Mite and put it on display in the showroom. Sure wish I could hear the thoughts of some of the regulars the first time they walked in and found a jeep sitting in there.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Shoot there is. Guy local that I can send stuff too for purchases like gunbroker....$5 and I'm out the door. Another local shop is great and I have bought a few guns there. I try to go to those when possible...if I go online I gotta pay ahipping and transfer....so I figure that into my price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts