Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i built my doubler out of a BW 1356 and 205 and now it leaks out ATF sense its so thin (from where the two halfs of it are bolted togther go figure, i also think its been leaking from here befor the doubler setup) so i was thinking of putting gear oil in it sense its alot thicker. The truck rearly goes over 25 and if it does its only for a couple miles at most. So what do you think? Also what is some really good stuff i can put on the out side to seal it up?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
IMO, gear oil would make the t-case rather hard shifting and cause a lot of drag on the parts. Perhaps synthetic gear oil would help, but that would be pricey.

Why not figure out what is up with the leak? Is it something that could be cleaned up mechanically to be a better surface, or something that could be fixed with silicone?

BTW, did you do the doubler yourself or is it one you purchased from someone else? I am also interested in a doubler for my Ranger...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AS you can tell from the pics it will be really hard to pull it apart sense its leaking from were i cant pull it apart.
this setup is for a 31 splin tranny's i have a 302 in my brocno II. everything that has been done to my BII i did myself

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I see what you mean... I don't think that merely changing the oil will get it to stop leaking. That sounds like the plan, but from what I know about gear oil, if it can find a way out, it will. What about cleaning the thing up really good and then JB weld the seam? You should be able to get it apart, as it won't penetrate the entire thing, or you could grind it off the edges where you sealed it. Just a thought...

Kudo's on making your own...

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Rockcrawler_101 said:
Ok i built my doubler out of a BW 1356 and 205 and now it leaks out ATF sense its so thin (from where the two halfs of it are bolted togther go figure, i also think its been leaking from here befor the doubler setup) so i was thinking of putting gear oil in it sense its alot thicker. The truck rearly goes over 25 and if it does its only for a couple miles at most. So what do you think? Also what is some really good stuff i can put on the out side to seal it up?
you can use gear lube in your 1356 if you don't mind it spitting out its internals after a couple miles. gear lube is for differentals that "splash" lube. ATF gets pumped into the gear(s), that is why it needs to be thin.

In your situation, I think it would work for a while (1-3 trail runs?), but eventually, it'll eat the cake, and you'll be stuck pulling it out anyways.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i think it would last a little longer then a couple trail rides sense my buddy drove around with his for about half a year with a 2 inch by 2 inch hole in the bottom! But i think i will try to seal it up again but from the out side. Already had to pull it out once sense the person that had it befor and heally coiled all the bolts and I striped the bottom when putting it in so it leaked from there to! But after i drilled and taped it all was happy again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts