Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know I'm a Jeep guy and this is the Ford section but I'm working on a EB with a friend. He has a 73 EB currently running a 302, C4, Atlas, but would like to at a klune V to the setup. Is a Klune-V available that will bolt to the C4 and then to the ATlas?
Thanks is advance for the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They do have an adapter for the C-4

Transmission/ Part # / Adapter Length / Output Spline
FORD C4 / 50-8100 / 6.25" / 23
http://www.klunev.com/pricing_3.htm

The only issue is going to be length. With the adapter (6.25"), the kluneV (6.50") & spacer (1"0) your going 13.75" between you trany and transfer case. The original adapter is 8.75, netting you and increase of 5" to the face of the transfer case. The Atlas is 4.5" longer from the mounting face to end of out put yoke then the dana 20. This will give you and over all length increase of 9.5".

I just started my 435/klunev/atlas II combo this weekend in my 72. This combo winds up being 7" longer overall than the c-4 dana 20 that I removed. I have everything set in and my rear drive line is now 25.5". The front will be 27. If he is staying with his 9" & 44 then he may have a bit more room. Mine has D60's under it. I did have to replace the main shaft in my 435 for the klunev to work.

Tazz

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Tazz, I don't know how we missed that adapter on the Klune site. 13.75" is a little more that we figured it would add. Would the stock atlas shifters still be usable with this setup?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure on the stock shifter. I got the shifter that Atlas makes for the bronco. I have not installed the shifter yet but the way it attaches to the transfer case it looks like everything will work fine. I may have to extend it a bit forward because of the added length of the Klune unit, but the way the shifter attaches it shouldn't be any big problem. I haven't taken any pics yet, but if you want to see how the unit sets, I can get some tonight and post them.

Tazz

·
Registered
33 Posts
yj i may be wrong on this but check very carefully on the availability of klune to an atlas. as an afterthought- klune is developing a low range unit for the c4-dana20 without adapters. should be a bolt on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
YJ
Here are is my 435/klunev/atlasII. The setup you are talking about would set about 2-3" farther back. As you can see the shifter for the Atlas are going to line up resonably well with my old twin stick location.
The Klune shifter is going to come up from the other side in line with the twin stick for the atlas.

Here it is setting on the bench before install

As for the availablity of the klune to the atlas, there is no problem that I know of. If you buy the standard 31 spline imput atlas it's a direct bolt up. If you buy the bronco atlas that's 28 spline imput then there would an issue.

Tazz

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good pics Tazz, I like your setup,

We already have the atlas mated to the C4 in the vehicle, I'm assuming it's a 28 spline.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ah heck. That length ain't nothin, fellas.

I had a 351-E4OD-Atlas 2 in my BRONCO 2 and it was way worse than that.

The E4OD is about 33" long, so don't be tripping. You should have seen the extenders I had to weld up to make my atlas 2 still be usable with that combination. Sheesh.

You should have seen those driveshafts. The rear one was very small compared to the front.

I swapped out the E4OD now for an AOD, so things are a lot closer to what you are working with.

Take Care,

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts