Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Killer idea. I like it. Theres a damn good chance I'll use this rather that PT wood on mine. My big fear is loading in the summer in the desert. I imagine it's like lying down on a hot frying pan.

Ryan
That's why I painted it grey. When it was black and sat out all day you could get burned just walking past it. :laughing:

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
Small update-

Had this a year now, hauled multiple vehicles including the crawler. Love it. Just hauled an 8500lb skid steer and the floor held just fine. Bent my ramps, bent the ramp angle/hooks on the trailer but the floor is straight as an arrow. :smokin:
Your trailer axles must hate you!!!!

Probably the one major thing I wish I had done differently on my latest trailer - should have done purlins from the start. Oh well... in 10 years when the wood is bad, i'll have a project to do.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Your trailer axles must hate you!!!!
That's what I thought at first.
8,500 skid + ~2,500 trailer = 11,000 lbs
15% of trailer+load for tongue weight = 1,650
9,350 - 7,000 (assuming only 3,500 lb axles) = ~2,350 "overweight"

I'm probably overestimating the trailer's weight and they very well could be 5k axles. If they're 5k axles he's in real good shape. If not, well it's not exactly a good idea to load things that heavily but not exactly a moonshot either, especially if it's a once-in-a-dog's-age usage. I would like to see the towrig though, in case this belongs in the BDL thread.

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
That's what I thought at first.
8,500 skid + ~2,500 trailer = 11,000 lbs
15% of trailer+load for tongue weight = 1,650
9,350 - 7,000 (assuming only 3,500 lb axles) = ~2,350 "overweight"

I'm probably overestimating the trailer's weight and they very well could be 5k axles. If they're 5k axles he's in real good shape. If not, well it's not exactly a good idea to load things that heavily but not exactly a moonshot either, especially if it's a once-in-a-dog's-age usage. I would like to see the towrig though, in case this belongs in the BDL thread.
I personally haven't seen a 5k 5-lug axle... I'm guessing their 3500#...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
@45acp how's the trailer herculiner holding up? How's traction when loading a wet/muddy crawler? My new-to-me 16-footer needs a new deck and I remembered this thread; very interested to try it if I can source the purling local. Might just do the two runs on each side (the track width that gets beat up and driven on the most) then fresh wood down the middle to help with frying myself during on-trailer repairs.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How much space did you leave in between each purlin?
Sorry, just saw this. About 1/4"

@45acp how's the trailer herculiner holding up? How's traction when loading a wet/muddy crawler? My new-to-me 16-footer needs a new deck and I remembered this thread; very interested to try it if I can source the purling local. Might just do the two runs on each side (the track width that gets beat up and driven on the most) then fresh wood down the middle to help with frying myself during on-trailer repairs.
Holding up great, will never go back to wood. I would say traction is the same as wood in the rain with the roll on bedliner... i think it would be pretty slick if it were just painted.

·
Snooty Poser
1,141 Posts
I'm sure glad this got bumped, it's time to redeck my car hauler. It's a steel angle trailer, pretty sure 3500 lb axles, pretty flexy. I see c purlin in my area in 12, 14 and 16 gauge. Is the lighter weight stuff enough to keep from getting dinged up too bad?

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm 99% sure mine is 16 gauge, doesn't have a single ding in it. It mainly hauls the crawler, occasionally a small tractor and scrap metal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My wood deck is starting to break down, I've been scared about doing a purlin deck because of the heat factor. Is it much hotter than wood with the lighter color paint? I haul cars mostly and laying down on a hot, metal trailer deck trying to get a strap under one is no fun.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's hotter than wood but not that bad. You can touch the black fender and grey floor at the same time and there's a very noticeable difference. No way I would have left it black.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was needing to replace my deck and this thread gave me some inspiration on how I wanted to do it. My trailer is a flush deck so I used 1.5x3" purlins on the outside and normal boards in between. I kept the wood in the middle because it's better for laying down on and does better with oil drips. Total weight gain was 75lbs and the purlins are 14 gauge.

·
Snooty Poser
1,141 Posts
Where do you buy purlins?
I just hit up Google, and found a metal building place not too far from me. Mine are galvanized, because that's all they do.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts