Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 403 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This project has been on my bucket list for some time now and I decided to pull the trigger this year and start.

My goal is to create a serious rock crawler that is street legal out of a C3 Corvette.

First thing first was to set up shop. I need a good hoist to lift the corvette body up. Expecting I will be lifting it up and down up and down many times.

Preview of progress - 08-11-18
IMG_0504[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up some W4 beams and started the bridge crane in the shop. Plan is to clamp the runway beams to the ceiling joists by 1/2" threaded rods about 10" from the wall. Then run two beams on trolleys across as bridges. Each bridge will have two 1 ton chain hoists. I can then make a very controlled four point lift....gotta do the safety yellow thing.
Runway unpainted.jpg
View attachment 2088242

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop crane is complete. Works OK. Should of built wider end trucks to keep the bridges rolling straight. But all in all I am happy with it.
Bridge Crane.jpg
And...the donor. It was an Ebay purchase. Not running, someone's unfinished project. Freshly rebuilt 350 w/ TPI. I am ready to start hacking this thing up. :grinpimp: Hope we don't have any corvette fans here.
Corvette Start.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
love the crane, what are you attached to in the cieiling? just the joist or more?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Looks Like he's straddling the truss with atr and has a clamp type thing to capture the rods above the bottom cord with nuts. Hope it holds up to your needs. I thought about something similar to pick up a pickup cab, but am hoping to have a new shop with a lift by the time my next major build happens.

This looks like it might be a neat project. I'm curious to see how you accomplish a low lift and what you do for a frame. What type of suspension, give us some specifics on the build.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The trolley can be found on Ebay for about $40. I just welded some up for the end trucks. The runway is held up with two 1/2" rods and a flat bar clamping it to each 10" joist.
Runway Hanger.jpg

·
Registered
479 Posts
I see a gravity surge in your future. I think some stiff legs on your runners would be a smart idea.

BUT, your house , your rules. Carry on.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The corvette chassis is not looking promising. It's super wide leaving no place for the four links to attach. The frame is in the door jam and my a$$ is lower then the frame when i am sitting it. Right now, I am leaning towards stretching my jeep chassis and selling the body and it's accessories. I put a lot of time into the axles and suspension and it has proven itself over and over. The TJ Mutt will transform into a C3 Mutt.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see a gravity surge in your future. I think some stiff legs on your runners would be a smart idea.

BUT, your house , your rules. Carry on.
The runways are up against the wall support. It will be fine. I've done all the calcs.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
View attachment 2092514
:grinpimp: Hope we don't have any corvette fans here.
View attachment 2092522
That is NOT a Vette......for me personally Vettes ran from 1962-1967.....they then came back within the past 5years.....although I haven't paid much detailed attention to the recent years....I just know they are the "best bang for the $" performance wise....(compared to most, if not all, European/German offerings.....

.....So, hack away :)

1 - 20 of 403 Posts