Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 406 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Roughed out some factory looking fender flares. Chose a cool paint color called "Lead foot Gray" for the paint job later. A dark gray, no metallic at all, the ford Mustang and Raptor's are coming out with it now.

Fender 1.jpg
Jeadfoot.jpg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
I did realize, after goofing around at high speeds, that I could use better brakes!

So the rear brake upgrade began. It was simple. Just used the same front one tone big bore caliper (same as the front) and some discs off a one ton van. And cut out a stiff mounting plate for the caliper bracket to bolt to.

Worked great. Lost a little pedal, even with the big bore MC, but I should be able to adjust it back. Now, I can panic stop comfortably at 75mph on highway traffic.

Brake 1.jpg

Brake 2.jpg

Brake 3.jpg

Brake 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Yeah, 75mph got a little bumpy occasionally with the home made bead locks, even with the shot BB's in each tire. I will say though, the rims are beat up and bent. The BB's used to work fantastic when I first made them.

So... I gave in to some street tires and nice aluminum rims. Not quite street tire though. 37" x 14" Nitto Mud Grapplers. Good looking tires. Load as crap. But smooooooth. I can fall asleep on the highway now. Smooth as glass and a nice hum at 85mph.

I probably lost about 300lbs in tires and rims.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
OK, I have some crazy new ideas going in my head. Pictures to come later.

I have been trying to push the capacity of my little manual tube roller with an electric gearmotor. After 2 blown out bearings, a broken shaft, sheared ram bolts and a few broken chains, I am able to get the radius I was searching for...

Roller.jpg

·
Registered
361 Posts
Don't know how far you are willing to travel but Casey at SWG performance on the north side of Temple is a tuner of tuners, he can get it right for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you ever fix the overheating issue? I have a C3 and had issues with overheating till I made sure air didn't have a way around the radiator. Probably a bit different in your case but just another thought.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Don't know how far you are willing to travel but Casey at SWG performance on the north side of Temple is a tuner of tuners, he can get it right for sure.
Thanks mccustomize!. I will look them up.

I still have a little overheating issue when pushing 80mph. I am skeptical the timing tables are good. I can adjust the base timing to achieve only certain conditions. Now, I am in an average point, crappy idle, and not too too strong open throttle.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Did you ever fix the overheating issue? I have a C3 and had issues with overheating till I made sure air didn't have a way around the radiator. Probably a bit different in your case but just another thought.
Thanks for the advice 90Supra, you are right on. When I funneled all the are through the radiator, AND nothing could forced in the fender wells it ran much much cooler.

I'll get a good tune, a better radiator (not a cheap ebay jeep conversion) and see where that goes.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Just a little work in progress.

I had to share, I am digging this!:smokin: It was worth a night of little sleep... If only I had no job:rolleyes:.

No plans for full exoskeleton. Just a brush/tree guard and maybe a rear spare tire holder.

Brush Gaurd Front 1.jpg

Brush Gaurd Front 2.jpg

Brush Gaurd Front 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Good luck on the cooling. Love the front tube work.

Jack

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I am going to call it done on the fit up of the brush guard. I planned on some vertical pieces on the front corners, but it just looked crowded and out of place. Kinda lost the front corvette under a bunch of tubing.

This weekend I am hoping to pull it off (it bolts on now), weld it out, paint it, and bolt it back on.

A nice Overlander look "X2". Now I got myself thinking of an off road trailer to match. "C3 Pod" :rolleyes: Need to find a salvaged corvette to cut up.

That is the best thing about projects like this. You just never know what they will evolve into. I want to do this for a living! Like in Hollywood somewhere. Build one, trash it in a movie, build another, trash it in a movie.

Brush Guard Front 4.jpg

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I am going to call it done on the fit up of the brush guard. I planned on some vertical pieces on the front corners, but it just looked crowded and out of place. Kinda lost the front corvette under a bunch of tubing.

This weekend I am hoping to pull it off (it bolts on now), weld it out, paint it, and bolt it back on.

A nice Overlander look "X2". Now I got myself thinking of an off road trailer to match. "C3 Pod" :rolleyes: Need to find a salvaged corvette to cut up.

That is the best thing about projects like this. You just never know what they will evolve into. I want to do this for a living! Like in Hollywood somewhere. Build one, trash it in a movie, build another, trash it in a movie.

View attachment 2917006
I love everything going on here, especially the C3 Pod :laughing::laughing:

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
I finished the front brush guard! I'll bet there aren't that many corvette brush guards out there.

I don't know why, but it looks like some sort of S&M leather outfit on a smoking hot chick. :rolleyes: Maybe it's the winch fairlead looking familiar...

A little crowbar influence and it fit like tight glove.:smokin:

Front Brush Guard 1.jpg

Front Brush Gurd 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Good weekend! I found a deal on some vette parts from a lead at a local swap meet.

The beginnings of the C3 Pod camper trailer! Now the brain is on overtime again! :rolleyes:

My wife still can't imagine it no matter how hard I try and explain it. Her only comment is always "it better be bear proof:mad3:"

I almost got talked into a dual axle trailer. But I am still thinking that's just more tire $ and probably a tracking nightmare on the street and trail. I still plan on a 4 link suspension. Two independent 4 linked axles would be bad ass though.

Pod1.jpg
Pod2.jpg
Pod3.jpg

241 - 260 of 406 Posts