Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wants to sell me a used Turbo Action Cheetah SCS Shifter... it is for all Ford C4/C6 but designed for Reverse Pattern only...what exactly controls the pattern.. is it something on the transmission itself, or is it something inside the shifter that "reverses" it? i have a small block C6 bolted up to a 302 in my YJ (still in progress).. but i havnt fucked with the shifter at all... so im pretty clueless about specifics... Guy i bought the C6 from told me it was from an early 80's FS Bronco.. and came with NP208... if its not the shifter itself which controls the pattern... how can i tell what the current pattern is on the trans?

Also.. what are the advantages/dis of reverse pattern? Would a Shifter like this, Cheetah SCS, be a bad choice in a daily driver?

Shane

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
the valve body controls what pattern the transmission will have. You could probably use that shifter if it possible to convert it to a standard pattern shifter.

You could also just buy the reverse pattern valve body and use that shifter.

I just received my Art Carr off road reversed pattern valve body for my C6.

It provides compression braking in all gears, and is reversed pattern (PRN123) with full manual control. However, I went with the Art Carr gate shifter.

The main advantage to reverse pattern valve bodies in a off road situation is the driver's ability to shift from low into reverse quickly.

the only way to tell what pattern valve body you have is to pull the pan and take a look. I think it would be obvious to tell what you have. For instance, the Art Carr v-body I have is clearly marked "Art Carr".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool.. thanks for the info.. where did u buy your Art Carr stuff?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You can order a new gate for the Cheetah shifter to convert it back to a standard pattern shifter. I believe that's the only difference. For what its worth, the Cheetah shifter is the same as an Art Carr or Winters shifter, with a few minor differences. You could probably buy the standard gate from Art Carr. I run the Winters shifter, which I bought from Winters but came with an Art Carr sticker on it. My brother bought the Cheetah shifter from Summit, that's how I know they're all basically the same thing.

One thing to be careful about with the Cheetah shifter. On my brothers (for C4), the shift lever that goes on the trans wasn't the kind you can just clamp on after removing the neutral switch (like my Carr/Winters one was for my C4), but it was one piece with the shift shaft. I dunno how hard it would have been to put it in because he just had the builder install it when he had the tranny done. Something you might want to look into though.

Dusty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts