Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From SteyerSug,

All FFLs must now REGISTER with the Cali DOJ in order to lawfully ship any firearm to Cali FFLs.

Just got my registration letter and application today and they can kiss my white ass. While I feel bad for gun owners in Commiefornia there is no fucking way I'm ever gonna register my license with their DOJ. Simply not gonna happen.

You guys are on your own and good luck.

Link to the CA DOJ site.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
wow.......I am....wow

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow.......I am....wow
Yeah. His argument is that it's like joining a HOA. He would essentially be agreeing to play by their rules and subject his FFL to the CA DOJ. I don't blame him for telling them to fuck off. Most others probably will too, but that's precisely what they want.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
:confused:

Is that even legal under the interstate commerce clause?

Even if Cali demands that origin FFL's register with them, how do they plan to prosecute those that say "forget it"? They weren't in California when the "crime" was committed, nor was it a "crime" where they were... sounds legally pretty shaky (at best) to me.

And is there anything that says I can't, as Joe Average, do a normal interstate transfer by shipping to a Cali FFL in accordance with federal law exactly as it is now?

Edit: I see now, at the link, that they'll prosecute the recipient. Doesn't say anything about private party inbound shipping, though.

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:confused:

Is that even legal under the interstate commerce clause?

Even if Cali demands that origin FFL's register with them, how do they plan to prosecute those that say "forget it"? They weren't in California when the "crime" was committed, nor was it a "crime" where they were... sounds legally pretty shaky (at best) to me.

And is there anything that says I can't, as Joe Average, do a normal interstate transfer by shipping to a Cali FFL in accordance with federal law exactly as it is now?

Edit: I see now, at the link, that they'll prosecute the recipient. Doesn't say anything about private party inbound shipping, though.
It's Kommiefornia. Look at the bullshit the NYC Mayor pulled all down the East coast. The son of a bitch facilitated straw purchases and THEN tried to prosecute the dealers. It's still held up in court. All they need to do is set a precedent and even if they lose in court they've cost you money. It's a lose - lose situation for an FFL.

we all do. we just want a minimum of laws. and reasonable ones at that.

;)

·
Registered
'73 Scout
10,455 Posts
The way I see it I dont think they can get too persnickity with folks outside CA (interstate thing like previously mentioned), but they can cause grief for the receiving FFL owner in CA for use of "unregistered" outside CA FFL shippers... like loss of biz license and possibly criminal stuff.

D.

·
III
28,132 Posts
It's my understanding and this seems to be born out on DOSCJ's website that this only applies to weapons being shipped from an ffl in another state. SO a private individual can still ship a handgun to my ffl without being registered.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Yeah. His argument is that it's like joining a HOA. He would essentially be agreeing to play by their rules and subject his FFL to the CA DOJ. I don't blame him for telling them to fuck off. Most others probably will too, but that's precisely what they want.
I don't blame either.

Unfortunately he is NOT telling the CA-DOJ to fuck off, but rather California Gun Owners.

I am not sure yet what I will do, but I do feel that registering so that I can continue to sell ARs, AKs, and FALs to Californians is a better fuck you to their DOJ.

The fact that I have an FFL is not a private matter and under FOIA their DOJ could find out this info very quickly.
There is no cost involved to register. Looking at the link provided looks like it will take all of 5 minutes to register.
So I really do not see what the big deal is.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Interesting.
TPF is a CA dealer over on CalGuns

Wrong, it wasn't the DOJ. It was the retail industry. The undercutting kitchen table dealers out of state that mark guns up $10 and ship them across the border are going to say screw it. Then you will have to go to Turners to get your guns.

Guys like me are going to raise my transfer price, making what I have in the shop about as attractive as a transfer.

This isn't about DOJ control, it is about retail money.

I still don't get why private party send ins are exempt. It makes zero sense. Zero. If this was about keeping guns from going to illegal dealers, no one would have been exempt. What a fliping joke.
So what he is claiming is that the FFLs in CA wanted this as a way to cut off my business. hmmmm

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
So what he is claiming is that the FFLs in CA wanted this as a way to cut off my business. hmmmm
If it's free to register, and takes five minutes, why would he think the "undercutting kitchen table dealers" would *not* register?

It looks like a step to screw in-state Cali FFL's... if I have eight packages show up UPS one day, I'm not going to go through every one of 'em to make sure they're all from "approved" vendors while I make the UPS guy stand there, waiting for me to sign for (or refuse) them. I'm just gonna count 'em, check quantity against the UPS guy's clipboard, make sure none show obvious damage, and sign.

Now, if I'm a Cali FFL, I just committed a crime if one of those boxes was from an unapproved/unregistered/whatever out of state FFL and had a gun in it.

Doesn't matter if the gun is legal in Cali or not, doesn't matter if the buyer is legal in Cali or not, doesn't matter if I jump through all the rest of the hoops, doesn't matter if I knew it was coming or not; just because somebody didn't dot an i or cross a t just right, and I didn't babysit them on it, I'm a criminal.

It mentioned exempting Type 3 and Type 6 (IIRC) FFL's... 3 is C&R, what's 6?

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it's free to register, and takes five minutes, why would he think the "undercutting kitchen table dealers" would *not* register?

It looks like a step to screw in-state Cali FFL's... if I have eight packages show up UPS one day, I'm not going to go through every one of 'em to make sure they're all from "approved" vendors while I make the UPS guy stand there, waiting for me to sign for (or refuse) them. I'm just gonna count 'em, check quantity against the UPS guy's clipboard, make sure none show obvious damage, and sign.

Now, if I'm a Cali FFL, I just committed a crime if one of those boxes was from an unapproved/unregistered/whatever out of state FFL and had a gun in it.

Doesn't matter if the gun is legal in Cali or not, doesn't matter if the buyer is legal in Cali or not, doesn't matter if I jump through all the rest of the hoops, doesn't matter if I knew it was coming or not; just because somebody didn't dot an i or cross a t just right, and I didn't babysit them on it, I'm a criminal.

It mentioned exempting Type 3 and Type 6 (IIRC) FFL's... 3 is C&R, what's 6?
Ammo an components IIRC

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Wholesalers and manufacturers can also apply for exemption. So this wont effect Taurus, Remington, Colt, etc.

When I send a shipment to an FFL I have to include the DOJ approval letter as well as a copy of my FFL.
Basically means one more form that has to be included with the package.

Firearms are a bit different then your typical shipment. You need to record each individual firearm into your bound book. So its not like a box of stuff shows up and you just stick it in the corner until later.

I am not really sure what TPF is talking about. He is saying that this law is going to make him up his transfer fees to 50-100$. For the in State CA FFL holders there is not any additional work required. Sounds to me like someone trying to take advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
331 Posts
As a California I say, Do not to ship to us. All of us. Law enforcement included. I would love to see no guns being shipped to all of California including police forces.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As a California I say, Do not to ship to us. All of us. Law enforcement included. I would love to see no guns being shipped to all of California including police forces.
Well fuck you :flipoff2: I like my guns. Keeps shipping them to me, I could care less if you ship them to the popo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts