Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation : Have a 79 CJ with the 4.2 and i want to put a cummins 4BT in it. CA won't have any of that swap, because according to them, the engine you swap in has to be from a light duty (3/4 ton) or lighter pickup truck. 4BT cummins came in chevy step vans, not light duty. They would however, allow me to swap in a 6BT from a dodge 2500. :mr-t: Isnt this state great.:mad3::mad3::mad3: So this is where im at. Don't want 6bt, too damn long. Dont want 4.2, horrible mileage.

I believe I have a solution, swap in the 4BT, and sell the vehicle to my grandparents, who live out of state in a county that does not smog vehicles. I can sell it to them as a diesel, and they can register it as such, and would all be completely legal. Now the part I am unsure of, can they sell it back to me, pink slipped saying it is a diesel, with CA accepting it even though it has been in the CA system before as gas? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
You will have to tow it to the other state and have it inspected to verify vin and the diesel swap. Then will have to come back to CA, have vin verified, weight slip and should probably sneak through. If you find the right DMV they wont give you any shit.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Its gonna bite you in the ass....

Basically Cali records are gonna show it as gas, your gonna say its diesel. They are going to send you to the BAR. They are going to fail you for the swap. Then your going to be screwed and have to pay the fine for non compliance at the BAR, wich is 600 bucks. Then if your lucky you will be able to get a temp tag, then be required to go to a test only smog station. So your gonna have to come up with another 3-400 to bribe someone to "pass" your truck. Then your gonna have to do that every year, unless you live in one of those lucky places that do not have annual smog testing.

AKA cali smog sucks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if it will, you can legally swap a diesel into a gas vehicle, you just have to take it to a referee and have it inspected, and the engine from the donor vehicle must be from the weight class equal to or less than your vehicle it is going in to. So being that it is legal to swap from gas to diesel, and it is legal to register diesel in ca that came from out of state, im not sure why this should be a problem. Anyone have an idea of who I could call, would it be DMV or BAR? Thanks again for input!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I don't know if it will, you can legally swap a diesel into a gas vehicle, you just have to take it to a referee and have it inspected, and the engine from the donor vehicle must be from the weight class equal to or less than your vehicle it is going in to. So being that it is legal to swap from gas to diesel, and it is legal to register diesel in ca that came from out of state, im not sure why this should be a problem. Anyone have an idea of who I could call, would it be DMV or BAR? Thanks again for input!

Pretty sure you gonna have to go to the BAR. And they are gonna know its a 4bt. They failed me because I had a 5speed on an automatic ecu

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
I dont see why you would need to go to B.A.R after the out of state swap. You are going to have a pink from another state that says diesel. I would imagine this would only be a problem if it was a 98 or newer and was under the new deiesl smog law. I suggest you go in and chat with someone at DMV cause we could all be wrong?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I dont see why you would need to go to B.A.R after the out of state swap. You are going to have a pink from another state that says diesel. I would imagine this would only be a problem if it was a 98 or newer and was under the new deiesl smog law. I suggest you go in and chat with someone at DMV cause we could all be wrong?
Yes but like stated above the vin is going to show it as a gas rig in CAL that will be were you get bit in the ass with CAL dmv.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
I am not sure, but when DMV is notified of out of state sale, I believe the record are gone. Try and run an out of state vehicle and watch what they tell you at the DMV. I got a 95 12 valve from my uncle as a gift from nevada, it was a ca rig a couple years back. The pink was lost so I just went to dmv and asked if I could do a lost pink, mail it to them for sig and have it mail back. The DMV person told me that the records on any vehicle that is sold out of state, the records are deleted to save the space in their system and all info they need is on the out of state pink. This leads me to believe that once the pink classifies your jeep as diesel, as long as its pre 98 you should have no issues. But its DMV so who knows?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,532 Posts
It has to pass Cali smog to be reregistered in Ca. They will fail it and send it to referee. Also a jeep is a 1/4 ton. A 6bt is in a different weight class.

Probably have to try a liberty or vw diesel.

I would call the bar and see what the rules are for diesel swaps. Probably just.got harder as diesels require smog now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has to pass Cali smog to be reregistered in Ca. They will fail it and send it to referee. Also a jeep is a 1/4 ton. A 6bt is in a different weight class.

Probably have to try a liberty or vw diesel.

I would call the bar and see what the rules are for diesel swaps. Probably just.got harder as diesels require smog now.
From what i have been able to tell, DMV considers everything under a 1 ton pickup that is not a car to be the same. So Jeep = dodge 2500 = F150= VW pickup. I believe cars are in a separate category, not sure about minivans and such.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
From what i have been able to tell, DMV considers everything under a 1 ton pickup that is not a car to be the same. So Jeep = dodge 2500 = F150= VW pickup. I believe cars are in a separate category, not sure about minivans and such.
When I installed my Chevy V8 into my Jeep, the Ref absolutely differentiated between "1/2-ton" and "3/4-ton" configurations. California would not allow the "3/4-ton" engine into my "1/2-ton" Jeep. If I had purchased an engine out of a K2500, as an example, I would have had to configure it to the K1500 series--meaning all emissions equipment (includes ECM) found on the 1/2-ton version would have to be put on the 3/4-ton engine, making it a "1/2-ton" engine; they match "platform" weight specifications.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,532 Posts
Register it in South Dakota

yourbestaddress.com
Since it has been eight years since the original post, I’m hoping the OP has figured it out already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts