Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They really have done a fantastic job connecting the proposed Gouse area to the proposed 2 million acre Frog area!!!:flipoff2:

"The Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has published a notice in the Federal Register about their proposal to list certain California and Nevada populations of greater sage grouse as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. FWS is also proposing to designate 1.8 million acres as critical habitat to help protect this subgroup of grouse.

This proposal will most certainly impact OHV-related management decisions made by the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest and the Carson City Bureau of Land Management District. Both casual use and OHV permitted events will be impacted. The extent of said impacts will rely on the ability to identify sound OHV management guidelines and programs such as route designation and limited operating periods for events that can be used as mitigations to help protect this subpopulation of grouse.

FR Notice to List the Bi-State Greater Sage Grouse - LINK

FR Notice to Designate 1.8 Million Acres of Land as Critical Habitat - LINK

Map of Bi-State Greater Sage Grouse Area - LINK

There are two ways to comment on the "Listing" & "Habitat Designation":

1. Electronically: Go to the Federal eRulemaking Portal at the link below and copy and paste your comments into the Comment box, or click on the Choose files to upload your comments. http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FWS-R8-ES-2013-0042-0001

2. By hard copy: Submit by U.S. mail or hand-delivery to: Public Comments Processing, Attn: FWS-R8-ES-2013-0042 and FWS-R8-ES-2013-0072; Division of Policy and Directives Management; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, MS 2042-PDM; Arlington, VA 22203.

A copy of the proposed rules published on October 28, 2013, and other information about the Bi-State DPS of the greater sage-grouse, are available at http://www.fws.gov/nevada or at http://www.regulations.gov or by contacting the Nevada Fish and Wildlife Office at 775-861-6300.

Comments due by February 10, 2014

Comments needed here too . . . the Greater Sage-grouse Bi-State DPS Forest Plan Amendment DEIS.

SPARKS, Nevada… The Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) announce the extension of the public comment period on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Greater Sage-grouse Bi-State Distinct Population Segment Forest Plan Amendment from December 27, 2013 to January 17, 2014.

The DEIS analyzes the potential effects of proposed standards and guidelines to conserve, enhance or restore habitat for the Bi‐State Distinct Population Segment of greater sage‐grouse (Bi-State sage-grouse). The DEIS would amend the Land and Resource Management Plan for the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest and the Resource Management Plans for the BLM’s Carson City District and portions of the Battle Mountain District.

This extension is in response to the December 19, 2013 decision by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to extend the public comment period on its proposal to protect the Bi‐State sage‐grouse as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA).

The proposed Forest Plan amendment is subject to the objection procedures of 36 CFR 219 Subpart B. (See 219.52(a)). Interested parties can find a copy of the DEIS for the amendment on our website at: http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=40683.

Comments may be submitted electronically by subscribing to our electronic mailing system. To subscribe to this system, go online by following this link: http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/fs-usda-pop.php/?project=40683 and use the “Get Connected” tab on the right.

Written comments may also be sent to Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Bi-State DEIS, 1200 Franklin Way, Sparks, Nevada, 89431. Comments may also be faxed to 775-355-5399. Questions or requests for additional information regarding the DEIS may be directed to James Winfrey, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, at 775-355-5308.

Comments due by January 17, 2014

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More . . .

October 28, 2013 - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has published a Proposed Rule in the Federal Register to designate critical habitat for the Bi-State distinct population segment of greater sage-grouse under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). In total, approximately 1,868,017 acres fall within the boundaries of the proposed critical habitat designation in Carson City, Lyon, Douglas, Mineral, and Esmeralda Counties, Nevada, and Alpine, Mono, and Inyo Counties, California.

USFWS cites numerous examples of activities that may impact the sage-grouse habitat. The specific reference to motorized (and non-motorized) recreation is under actions that would result in the sage-grouse’s avoidance of the area during one or more seasonal periods. Such avoidance, USFWS states, could result in the direct and functional loss of habitat if sage-grouse avoid or reduce use of otherwise suitable habitat in the Bi-State area.

The ESA states that critical habitat designations and revisions are made on the basis of the best available scientific data after taking into consideration the economic impact, national security impact, and any other relevant impact of specifying any particular area as critical habitat. Exclusions from critical habitat may be made if it is determined that the benefits of such exclusion outweigh the benefits of specifying such area as part of the critical habitat, unless it is determined, based on the best scientific data available, that the failure to designate such area as critical habitat will result in the extinction of the species.

Comments are due February 10, 2014.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thought I'd drop my rep a line while commenting in the Federal Registry too . . .

Honorable Congressman McClintock,

I am concerned that the 1.8 million acre proposed listing below coupled with the 2 million acre proposed Frog listing in our Sierra Nevada mountain range will effectively lock the public out of nearly 4 million acres of OUR land and further impact what little remains of our fragile local economies by ruining tourism, causing more loss of small businesses and jobs.

The DOI is locking up the West and our President intends to bypass you and your peers to lockup even more public land with National Monument designations via an Executive Order as announced by DOI spook Sally Jewell yesterday, Trick or Treat!!!

Bi-State Distinct Population Segment of Greater Sage-Grouse Proposed for Protection under Endangered Species Act

“The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today proposed to protect the Bi-State Distinct Population Segment (DPS) of greater sage-grouse along the California-Nevada border as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). The proposal includes a special rule that would provide increased flexibility for land management practices that are intended to benefit the sage-grouse.”

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,

Mr. XXXXXXX

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Federal wildlife officials on Friday proposed to list as threatened populations of greater sage grouse in Nevada and California in an effort to save the struggling species, a decision that promises to pose new challenges for ranching and energy development in the West.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that invasive species and energy development in the desert have had a devastating effect on the large, ground-dwelling bird's populations, said Ted Koch, Nevada state supervisor for the service.

"It's not the 11th hour for sage grouse here, but it is maybe the 10th hour," Koch said. "And that's good news. It means we have some time and space to turn things around."

The service found multiple threats facing this specific sub-population of the sage grouse, a chicken-size bird whose males have a large white tuft of feathers around their necks.

The service estimates there are only about 5,000 of the birds left.

Non-native pinyon pine and juniper trees introduced to the habitat and power lines have given low-to-the-ground perches for raptors, which eat the grouse, Koch said.

The service also found that an invasive grass from Asia that burns easily has helped decimate sagebrush, which is key to the grouse's survival.

Industry, federal and local officials say a local effort already underway to save the bird is a promising start. Passed in 2012, the plan is being used by federal officials to help clear red tape for industry in the area.

Some state legislators greeted the proposed listing with suspicion, saying it could have wide-ranging economic impact on the rural economies in the region. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said the decision will have "major ramifications" on the way of life in parts of Nevada and California.

"This listing is further proof that we need to work together to protect sensitive species before they get to such a dismal point and negatively affect our rural economies," Reid said in a statement.

The final decision on the service's proposal will occur next year, and the public will have 60 days to comment.

Ranchers, miners and energy developers who use the mostly public lands that serve as the sage grouse's habitat have opposed the listing, saying it would have a deep economic impact in the rural West.

Friday's proposed listing comes as the service is also determining whether the entire western sage grouse population should be federally protected. Sage grouse also live in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and parts of Canada.

Ranchers worry that protections will scuttle or block outright vast grazing areas. They say it adds a lot of uncertainty to any plans to expand or even launch habitat restoration plans on their lands.

"For guys talking about expansion and going to the bank for loan, I'm not sure what the bank is going to tell me," said JJ Goicoechea, a rancher and veterinarian who is president of the Nevada Cattlemens Association.

"And the rural economy is heavily dependent on those ranching families, who generate revenues that help keep towns and schools running. What's going to happen to those rural communities?" he asked.

The Center for Biological Diversity, which sued the service to protect the sage grouse, said the decision was long overdue.

"The sage grouse we have here in Nevada and California is a true symbol of all that is wild -- what a relief that it's finally getting the protection it needs to survive," Rob Mrowka, a Nevada-based center ecologist, said in a statement.
SOURCE

·
Registered
627 Posts
King...
I hate to ask this, but could up bring up some MAIN POINTS to write about re. this? You CLEARLY have a better grasp of what to say to these people to make the submission more purposeful.

Am I writing in to the Federal comment or the FS comment or BOTH??

I live in Nevada, so this is really close to home!

Thanks for any input!!

Keith

·
Registered
627 Posts
Keith,

Your faith in my crap is a bit misplaced though I am flattered!

Other folks here have a much better grasp on all of this than I do.

To complicate matters further there is a new train of thought out there regarding "Jurisdiction".

I commented on both listings in the Federal Register and to my district Senator who was all over the "Frog" deal but haven't yet bothered with the NFS.

According to a new "tact" and the out-of-the-box thinking associated with it, supported by rusty Constitutional law, a “Silver Bullet” is evolving. In this new thought process, the States actually own lands purported to be "Federal Lands" not the Feds in 95% of these cases, which changes the whole scenario.

But the States need to assert this contention, there is much involved and at risk in doing so . . . i.e. Fed funding via “disbursements” for various programs, States ability to assume full responsibility for the "lands" materially and financially, tax revenue or lack thereof etc . . .

But asserting and cementing these contentions along with timing for the comment period deadline are light years apart IMHO!!!

Liken the “new train of thought” to “succession” I guess???

Do a Browser search for Sage-Grouse habitat comments. Look at those already submitted on the Federal Register along with other places and publications about the matter to build a strong substantive personalized comment.

PM me if you get to your wits end . . . you well versed folks might help give Keith a boost too please!!!
Will do and thanks for the response.
I posted this thread on my club board as well. Above the selfish wheeling motives I have for wanting to keep this land open, reading through the above literature.... I can't help but think of the ranchers and farmers that will be impacted and all that surrounds that industry.
At this point, it really doesn't surprise me, but it SURPRISES me the complete lack of appreciation for the contributions these industries have for the nation.
It's sounds as if the sage grouse, though may not be doing well here, but they are doing okay elsewhere?

K

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can't help but think of the ranchers and farmers that will be impacted and all that surrounds that industry.
At this point, it really doesn't surprise me, but it SURPRISES me the complete lack of appreciation for the contributions these industries have for the nation.
It's sounds as if the sage grouse, though may not be doing well here, but they are doing okay elsewhere?
It's the new Spotted Owl. Look how successful they weren’t with that while public lands were forever locked up in a misguided Government effort to save the Owl. This effort was driven by radical greenies like Andy Stahl who is on record as stating . . . "When it comes to protecting old growth, I've often thought that thank goodness the spotted owl evolved, for if it hadn't, we'd have to genetically engineer it. It's a perfect species to use as a surrogate." He 's also on video tape saying "he used the Endangered Species Act as a surrogate -- to destroy 35,000 forest resource workers' jobs and lives".

They found their new surrogate!!!

Here's a little glimpse back to the 80s.

Invasive grass, predation and fire sterilizing the grounds they favor are all problems contributing to declining Grouse numbers. Hunting, vehicle travel on historic dirt trails, routes, roads and free range cattle grazing are all no or low impact activities in areas they reside. Actually various studies have shown they apparently do better where cattle free range.

Fire fighters have changed their approach in response to loss of Grouse habitat and now attempt to save islands of prime habitat within a wildfire when possible to maintain some ground for the Grouse to survive on and so something remains that can spread to the surrounding burnt areas.

Free range cattle ranchers in semi aired terrain may be severely impacted (even though range cattle apparently don't contribute to Grouse decline) as they are likely present in many areas that are proposed for designation and may no longer be allowed to free range.

They say implementation of these conservation measures are intended to ultimately protect the folks mentioned above affectionately known as "stake holders" by avoiding an ESA listing but look at the first post in this thread and these maps for NV and especially WY . . . last one leaving WY please turn out the light!!!

Check out THIS site and open up NV then try WY.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nevada Council Debates Plans in Sage Grouse Fight

Nevada Council Debates Plans in Sage Grouse Fight

By SANDRA CHEREB

The Associated Press

CARSON CITY, Nev. —

A Nevada council hoping to prevent the listing of sage grouse as a protected species debated its next moves Monday just weeks after federal agencies identified preferred alternatives to protect the bird found in 11 states across the West.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service must decide by next fall whether the chicken-size bird warrants Endangered Species Act protection.

Ranchers, miners, energy developers and state officials fear restrictions on the use of public lands in sage grouse habitat would have deep economic consequences in the rural West.

Some members of the Sagebrush Ecosystem Council and others said the alternative preferred by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service in a draft environmental impact statement released Nov. 1 is not much different than what the state proposed last year.

But there are differences, and members of the nine-member council grappled with whether the state effort should tack more in concert with the federal agencies or stand in contrast to provide more options as a final national course of action is composed.

A public comment period on the draft environmental statement runs through Jan 29, 2014. A final environmental statement is expected in June before a decision is made in late September whether the bird warrants listing as a threatened or endangered species.

Federal officials stressed that the final environmental statement may likely consist of various aspects of the six options outlined in the draft environmental statement.

J.J. Goicoechea, a Eureka County commissioner and local government representative on the council, urged those in attendance to submit meaningful comments that address certain actions.

"This is it," he said. "You have to have constructive comment. We have got to get good comments because this is for all the marbles."

Goicoechea's remarks came after some ranchers railed against the federal government and the suggestion that the bird deserves protection.

The Fish and Wildlife Service in October proposed to list a distinct population of grouse found in an area in western Nevada and eastern California as threatened. Those birds, found across about 2 million acres, are separate from overall sage grouse populations across the West and a portion of Canada.

Ranchers also complained that the federal government's preferred course doesn't address the effect of predators on sage grouse populations. Control of ravens, coyotes, badgers and other predators was a priority decades ago and the birds were more plentiful, they said.

"This bird is not endangered," said Fred Fulstone, a longtime rancher in Smith. "There are thousands of them all over the Western United States.

"What good is this bird?" he continued. "It doesn't provide any of the basic needs of mankind."
SOURCE

·
Registered
627 Posts
King,
Just A thanks for keeping this bumped!! I haven't forgotten about it and think about it daily. Still am at a loss as to what to write for a coherent comment.
I did as you suggested... Googled "sage grouse nevada comments" and phrases to the like... There's a lot of info stating about where and how to submit comment, but none of the comments.
I'm just gonna have to pour through the information, take notes on point and try and draft something to the best of my ability.

I'm hearing you on this!!

Thanks again!!

Keith

·
Premium Member
937 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BRC sent in a lengthy comment earlier this year. I don't know if the other two organizations have sent anything yet.

http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/SageGrouse_BRC_scoping_comments_FS 1.28.13FINALFINALPDF.pdf

Ride on
Brewster
Nice!!!

Thank you . . . I don't recall receiving this notification.

It's a bit dated like me, can't recall what I did yesterday either!

I wish they'd send it out again now that the crap has hit the fan!!! I find it very helpful as I do your pointing it out!!!

Thanks again . . . Ride on Brew!!!!!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sagebrush Ecosystem Council

SAGE BRUSH ECOSYSTEM AND REQUEST FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS

By nmec1864 On August 7, 2013 · Leave a Comment

Last week NMEC representatives attended the Sagebrush Ecosystem Council (SEC) meeting. At the meeting, the Sagebrush Ecosystem Technical Team (SETT) proposed changes to the state Sage Grouse Management Plan that would definitely impact mining and exploration projects. (See attached for the SETT memo explaining their approach, the existing state plan (Attachment 2) and the proposed changes to the plan (Attachment 1.))

For example, the SETT is now recommending a 4-mile buffer around leks (last summer 1 mile was discussed, and more recently, the BLM has been discussing 3.1 miles). If you are within the 4 miles, you would have to undergo higher mitigation ratios than if you were not. A buffer of 4 miles would include roughly 16 times the area as a 1 mile buffer. The proposal also would require the SETT (the state’s 5 member technical team) to evaluate all proposed projects in a Sage Grouse Management Area to assess potential impacts upon sage-grouse habitat – even projects that would avoid impacts in the first place. This would include projects that are outside of a Sage Grouse Management Area to determine if they will have indirect impacts on nearby habitat. This SETT review would be in addition to the federal agency review.

Of note, the federal requirements for conducting exploration under a Notice of Intent in areas with sage-grouse habitat already require:

1. Physical Avoidance: Avoid the impact by moving your proposed drill sites and roads away from a lek and associated buffer zone; and/or

2. Seasonal Avoidance: Not working in the area around leks during the breeding season in the spring.

It is believed that the recommended changes could add weeks to months to the Notice of Intent process and increase the costs of obtaining a permit significantly.

Allen Biaggi is Mining’s Rep on the Sagebrush Ecosystem Council.Allen also expressed concerns about the SETT proposal at the meeting, as did a number of the other members, most notably the Energy and Ag reps.

The Chairman of the SEC asked mining and exploration to forward our comments on the SETT proposed changes to Allen Biaggi by August 10. He will forward the combined mining comments to the Technical Team (SETT) for possible revision of the proposed changes to the plan during August and September.

Allen is seeking input from the NMEC.

This item will be discussed next at the September meeting of the Sagebrush Ecosystem Team. The date will be near the end of September. If you would like to send comments to Allen, please do so by August 10 deadline for submitting comments to Allen. If you cannot make that deadline, please send comments directly to the staff and Chairman of the SEC (http://sagebrusheco.nv.gov/). Finally, you can attend the September SEC meeting and comment during the public comment period.

Allen Blaggi’s contact information is: mailto:[email protected] Phone: 775 781-2112

SAGEBRUSH ECOSYSTEM COUNCIL – STAFF REPORT – MEETING DATE: July 30, 2013

OMG!!! Read the following and be VERY CONCERNED . . . Bob

http://nevadamineralexplorationcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SEC-31-JULY-13.pdf

P.S. They fail to mention rangeland conversion to agriculture and subdivisions, long-term regional drought, prescribed fires and the devastating impact of West Nile virus as causes for decline.

Even implementing all the extensive mitigation efforts listed in the document above, how can they save a bird from West Nile???

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
SAGE BRUSH ECOSYSTEM AND REQUEST FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS[/Even implementing all the extensive mitigation efforts listed in the document above, how can they save a bird from West Nile???

It won't stop west Nile. It doesn't matter. This smells of a response to a CDB lawsuit which always results in the plan of action to close off areas...which is the CDB goal. It ain't about the bird.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doesn't matter.
Yur right, nobody does in the eyes of the CBD and radical enviros!!!

Ted Turner: "Turner, a father of five, also reiterated his belief that the world's human population could have adequate food, housing and medical care if couples voluntarily limited themselves to one child."

"If your land is not acquired through voluntary negotiation, we will
recommend its acquisition through condemnation." -Albert Pyott, former
Illinois state director of The Nature Conservancy, threatening Dieter
Kuhn of Marburg, Germany, quoted in The New Orleans Times Picayune,
June 19, 1994

"Does all the foregoing mean that Wild Earth and The Wildlands Project advocate the end of industrialized civilization? Most assuredly. Everything civilized must go..." -John Davis, editor of
Wild Earth magazine

"The only hope of the Earth is to withdraw huge areas as inviolate natural sanctuaries from the depredations of modern industry and technology. Move out the people and cars. Reclaim the roads and the plowed lands." -Dave Foreman, Confessions of an Eco-Warrior

Many ecologist (myself included) would just as soon see huge areas of land kept off limits to human activities of any kind." -Noss, R. 1995. Maintaining Ecological Integrity in Representative Reserve Networks

One American burdens the earth much more than twenty Bangladeshis... This is a terrible thing to say. In order to stabilize world populations, we must eliminate 350,000 people per day. It is a horrible thing to say, but it's just as bad not to say it." -Jacques Cousteau

"We reject the idea of property rights." Peter Berle, President of the Audubon Society

"Trees and rocks have rights to their own freedom." Michael McCloskey, Chairman of the Sierra Club

"A loach minnow is more important than, say, Betty and Jim's ranch."
Kieran Suckling, Center for Biological Diversity

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughterhouses. "
PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk, in the September 1989 issue of Vogue

"When it comes to protecting old growth, I've often thought that thank goodness the spotted owl evolved, for if it hadn't, we'd have to genetically engineer it. It's a perfect species to use as a surrogate." Andy Stahl, Formerly with Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund

"I had no idea that after I left in 1986 they would evolve into a band of scientific illiterates.. Clearly, my former Greenpeace colleagues are either not reading the morning paper or simply don't care about the truth." — Patrick Moore, Greenpeace co-founder, writing in Canada's National Post (October, 2001)

PETA isn't a green organization, but they are still wackos.....
"I openly hope that it comes here." — Ingrid Newkirk, PETA Co-Founder, on her desire for a USA hoof-and-mouth epidemic

I put the question to Craig Marshall: In a perfect world, what would we do to save the earth? ''First, knock down all the concrete,'' he says. Thinking further, he adds: ''The problem is, we've gone too far already. There's no easy solution. For life to survive as we know it, millions of people are going to have to die. It's sad to say that, but it's true. Millions of people are already dying -- it's just gonna have to start happening here." Critter, whose legal name is Craig Marshall, pleaded guilty to firebombing a car dealership and got five and a half years.

"As radical environmentalists, we can see AIDS not as a problem, but as a necessary solution." -- Miss Ann Thropy (pseudonym), Earth First Journal

"The extinction of the human species may not only be inevitable but a good thing....This is to say that the rise of human civilization is insignificant, but there is no way of showing that it will be much help to the world in the long run." --Economist editorial

This is a political game. It has nothing to do with science. It has nothing to do with health and safety." -- Sherry Neddick, Greenpeaceuote]Ted Turner: "Turner, a father of five, also reiterated his belief that the world's human population could have adequate food, housing and medical care if couples voluntarily limited themselves to one child."

"If your land is not acquired through voluntary negotiation, we will
recommend its acquisition through condemnation." -Albert Pyott, former
Illinois state director of The Nature Conservancy, threatening Dieter
Kuhn of Marburg, Germany, quoted in The New Orleans Times Picayune,
June 19, 1994

"Does all the foregoing mean that Wild Earth and The Wildlands Project advocate the end of industrialized civilization? Most assuredly. Everything civilized must go..." -John Davis, editor of
Wild Earth magazine

"The only hope of the Earth is to withdraw huge areas as inviolate natural sanctuaries from the depredations of modern industry and technology. Move out the people and cars. Reclaim the roads and the plowed lands." -Dave Foreman, Confessions of an Eco-Warrior

Many ecologist (myself included) would just as soon see huge areas of land kept off limits to human activities of any kind." -Noss, R. 1995. Maintaining Ecological Integrity in Representative Reserve Networks

One American burdens the earth much more than twenty Bangladeshis... This is a terrible thing to say. In order to stabilize world populations, we must eliminate 350,000 people per day. It is a horrible thing to say, but it's just as bad not to say it." -Jacques Cousteau

"We reject the idea of property rights." Peter Berle, President of the Audubon Society

"Trees and rocks have rights to their own freedom." Michael McCloskey, Chairman of the Sierra Club

"A loach minnow is more important than, say, Betty and Jim's ranch."
Kieran Suckling, Center for Biological Diversity

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughterhouses. "
PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk, in the September 1989 issue of Vogue

"When it comes to protecting old growth, I've often thought that thank goodness the spotted owl evolved, for if it hadn't, we'd have to genetically engineer it. It's a perfect species to use as a surrogate." Andy Stahl, Formerly with Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund

"I had no idea that after I left in 1986 they would evolve into a band of scientific illiterates.. Clearly, my former Greenpeace colleagues are either not reading the morning paper or simply don't care about the truth." — Patrick Moore, Greenpeace co-founder, writing in Canada's National Post (October, 2001)

PETA isn't a green organization, but they are still wackos.....
"I openly hope that it comes here." — Ingrid Newkirk, PETA Co-Founder, on her desire for a USA hoof-and-mouth epidemic

I put the question to Craig Marshall: In a perfect world, what would we do to save the earth? ''First, knock down all the concrete,'' he says. Thinking further, he adds: ''The problem is, we've gone too far already. There's no easy solution. For life to survive as we know it, millions of people are going to have to die. It's sad to say that, but it's true. Millions of people are already dying -- it's just gonna have to start happening here." Critter, whose legal name is Craig Marshall, pleaded guilty to firebombing a car dealership and got five and a half years.

"As radical environmentalists, we can see AIDS not as a problem, but as a necessary solution." -- Miss Ann Thropy (pseudonym), Earth First Journal

"The extinction of the human species may not only be inevitable but a good thing....This is to say that the rise of human civilization is insignificant, but there is no way of showing that it will be much help to the world in the long run." --Economist editorial

This is a political game. It has nothing to do with science. It has nothing to do with health and safety." -- Sherry Neddick, Greenpeace

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NEVADA-CALIFORNIA - BLM and FS Release Draft NV-CA Sub-Region Sage-grouse EIS

NEVADA-CALIFORNIA - BLM and FS Release Draft NV-CA Sub-Region Sage-grouse EIS

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

The Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service released the Draft Nevada and Northeastern California Sub-regional Greater Sage-grouse Land Use Plan Amendment and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DLUP/DEIS) for a 90-day public comment period that closes January 29, 2014.

The DLUP/DEIS considers six possible management alternatives for maintaining and increasing habitat for Greater Sage-grouse on BLM and Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest lands in Nevada and Northeastern California. More than 17 million acres of Greater Sage-grouse habitat are managed by the BLM and Forest Service within the sub-regional area.

Written comments related to the Nevada and Northeastern California Sub-Regional Sage-grouse DLUP/DEIS can be submitted by any of the following methods:

Web site: http://on.doi.gov/14ZD3Rb
email: [email protected] `
mail: BLM - Greater Sage Grouse EIS, Attn: Joe Tague, 1340 Financial Blvd. Reno, NV 89502

Copies of the DLUP/DEIS are available at the following offices and on the web site at: Greater Sage-grouse

Public workshops related to the DLUP/DEIS will be held in December. The locations and times are posted below.

Thursday December 5, 2013
Meeting time 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Homewood Suites
5450 Kietzke Lane
Reno, Nevada

Monday December 9, 2013
Tonopah Convention Center
301 Brougher Avenue
Tonopah, Nevada

Tuesday December 10, 2013
Bristlecone Convention Center
150 Sixth Street
Ely, Nevada

Wednesday December 11, 2013
Shilo Inn
2401 Mountain City Hwy.
Elko, Nevada

Wednesday December 11, 2013
Shilo Inn
2401 Mountain City Hwy.
Elko, Nevada

The Nevada and Northeastern California Greater Sage-grouse EIS is one of 15 EISs that are being conducted as part of BLM's and Forest Service's west-wide National Greater Sage-Grouse planning effort, to provide additional measures to maintain and increase Greater Sage-grouse habitat on public lands to preclude the birds listing.

For more information on the National Greater Sage-Grouse Planning Strategy and the progress in other subregions visit http://www.blm.gov/sagegrouse.

Thanks for your review of this all too important matter.

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition, Inc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I went to the Reno meeting last night hoping to get some NON BIASED pro and con information on this topic. WOW!! All information provided was in supporting the idea that humans are bad and need to be expelled from the planet.
I'm still searching for a meaningful comment and not just an emotional plea.
That place was PACKED and REALLY LOUD!! Seemed (based on appearance and tags worn) that a bulk of the people there were from hunting, mining and of course greenies.
I love how "climate change" is listed as a part of the species decline?! I have yet to hear HOW climate change is quantitatively measured as part of these issues?!
I didn't get a chance to actually TALK to any of the reps there because it was so packed and quite frankly, I don't have a lot of info to speak on the topic.
It's overwhelming to me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts