Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I may have found another complete cab to put on my f-250. Now the problem is, the vin tag on the cab is not going to match the truck, and I'd really prefer to keep the old vin, as I have clean title and registration would be less. So, how much of a pain in the a$$ is it to do this?
-John

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Go the DMV site www.dmv.ca.gov , I think you'll need a statement of facts document plus info for both rigs and will need to have the VIN inspected.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Not sure in CA, but I was supposed to have all receipts, bill of sale, title and VIN to the donor and after it was done the Hwy. Patrol was to inspect it and assign it a new VIN # and title.

I decided to say to hell with that and just register it as the donor cab and call it good. Could it bite me in the ass? Heck yeah! Will it here in MO? doubtfull Mine was a toyota 4runner, and now it's an Xcab PU

·
Registered
324 Posts
are you replacing your cab with a cab that is alike and with in the same years? on my 88 chevy one ton(old body style) I had to replace the cab so I just slapped on a 85 cab and used the tag and door tags off of the 88 and you wouldnt know the difference. I have done it many times with other cars and trucks and as long as they are they are pretty close to the same you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
The VIN goes with the frame. So if you are swapping cabs use the VIN from the cab that origionally on the frame. At least that is the way it is in NY. I have swapped bodies on CJ's and thats all we do is rivit the old VIN on the new body.

·
Registered
206 Posts
guinea13 said:
The VIN goes with the frame. So if you are swapping cabs use the VIN from the cab that origionally on the frame. At least that is the way it is in NY. I have swapped bodies on CJ's and thats all we do is rivit the old VIN on the new body.
Question, what do you do if you swap the frame? getting ready to and just wondering.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a '77 Ramcharger. These have the permanent VIN tag located on the driver's door. I have removed the doors. I've wondered if there could ever be a problem in the future.

On top of that, I have a new ('76) body tub, and planned a winter project to swap the tubs, still with no doors. So now there would be no VIN left on the truck (there is a decal on the driver's b-piller that has the VIN printed on it).

I asked my local DMV today what I should do. I asked if I could move my original VIN plate from the old doors, to the new body tub. They said no, but I could get a "reconstructed" title and VIN.

It was completely painless! I was given the paper work to fill out, a new state issued, VIN tag and a couple new rivets. Whenever I get the body swap completed, I need to have an officer inspect the truck, verify the location of the VIN tag (where ever I want) and provide a picture of the vehicle. Turn in the paper work, any reciepts I might have showing that I am really reconstructing the vehicle, and $6 for a new title, and I'm done!

The title will display the year of whatever the vehicle looks like, the model name will be "Reconstructed". So the new title will say "1976 Dodge Reconstructed" in my case.

This is for Utah, your state may differ. :D

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Technically you need to make an appointment with the VIN Officer with the CHP. But, I would just swap the tags and get on with life. No one will ever know.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Keith said:
Technically you need to make an appointment with the VIN Officer with the CHP. But, I would just swap the tags and get on with life. No one will ever know.
You're probably 100% correct, but it is still technically VIN tampering. And isn't that a felony???

I had to go legit on mine as I needed to obviously move it from the original location.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
With my Toyota the metal vin tag was attached to the dash. I reused my old dash when I stuck the new cab on so its the same number, looks original if I had any problems, but I didnt just reupped my regestration as usual, only inspection here was the smog check.

·
Registered
589 Posts
when I swapped my 76 body onto the 79 chassis, I kept the 79 VIN. It was riveted into the inside pass. side door panel, so I drilled them out and re-attached to the 76 body. The interesting thing is on Scout II's, there's 2 vin tags. The older style had them on the driver's side door, but it's just a sticker. The official engraved metal plate is on the pass. door. The last time I had it inspected, they only looked at the driver's side door and didn't even compare it to the VIN on the reg. sticker. We don't have smog here in Austin untill 2005, so by that time, niether year will need it. Anyway, I guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I went through all of this when I put a glass body on about 13 years ago. Take all your paper work and go to the HP I had no problem with them and got it retitled. Here in Ohio the vin on the body stays on the body and the frame has its number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts