Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lead on an immaculate first generation toyota body. the motor has been pulled by torching out the mounts. The tranz is in the garage, the bed has been half bobed. The front axle is gone. All springs are gone.
So I have a frame without motor mounts, rear axle, tanz&case, drivelines, and nice body. The wiring is complete

I need a donor truck for a 22r, frame mounts, solid front axle, springs, steering, ext.

If I am gonna grab a first generation truck for parts, would it be eisier to just cab swap with the wiring onto the other frame? Or pull the motor at the mounts, reweld em in, then put humpty together again with the donor parts. Either way one truck dies.

I've done a wire swap in my second gen cab. It was a pain but not horrid. Never done a cab swap with existing wiring.....

What would you guys do? I understand that frame rot is the loophole....

Anyone done this exact swap?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what no one cares? Should I ask simple Q's like chebbys or waggys? Hey I'm gonna build a flat bed... got pix???
Lets talk swaps....

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I would think swapping the cab to the good frame with engine would be the best way. Not much wiring in a non-EFI rig either.

Have fun, I sure did.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
swap the cab. simple plug and play. strip the frame that came with it-bad motor mounts and all-and keep it for a spare.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah I swapped my cab with a couple a buddies in a weekend or so. 2WD cab onto 4WD, kinda pain but, not to hard

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I am thinking right the 22r wiring should still plug into the 20r truck?
I also need a quick rundown, pull the heater hoses from the firewall, pull the steering linkage, soft fuel lines, unplug all the good stuff, what else?
How hard is it to get the cab over the motor?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I just swapped the cab on my '81 a few months ago. It took myself and 2 friends 3 evenings to complete. The wiring was no problem but that cab is heavier then you think. Even with 4 guys on it we still ended up setting the cab on the air cleaner. Here's a pic of the cabless truck so you can get an idea how high you have to lift the cab.

Travis

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
take a cherry picker and a tow strap wrap the strap around the floor of the cab then hook the cherry picker than all ittake is a little effort from 2 guys

Ben

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey that clean 1st gen body is indeed a good find...'specially in Utah: Land of Salted Roads. My truck is in the opposite situation---rusted cab floor (hence my name) with most everything else in good, rust-free shape. I vote (and what I'm personally doing) is swapping the good cab onto an otherwise good donor truck. You'll be able to paint both the cab and the frame, and reinforce anything that looks shady. Wiring...no big deal. Many of the connections are configured so you can't reassemble them incorrectly, and you can label anything that's gonna be confusing upon reinstallation. Does that help?

·
Registered
389 Posts
if I am not mistaken, 79 and 80 toys have different plugs here and there when compared to 81 to 83 toys. no biggie, just swap the plugs.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts