Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see who uses CAD software to design suspensions, chassis, links, etc. I'm looking to get some software, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it.

Ideas?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm looking to get some software, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it.

Ideas?

You will anyway. I use Pro/E and SolidWorks. Professional licenses can be as much as $10,000 depending on the packages and add-ons you want with it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
its $150 for a 2year SolidWorks student license and up to like 10 grand like johnnyU said if you want the professional license.

you have to be in college to get it for 150, if you need CAD that bad its cheaper to enroll in a college class for SolidWorks learn a little bit for a semester and get the student price and try it for a while and if you like it buy the pro edition

·
Registered
765 Posts
reason i would go with solidworks or solidedge is that its parametric modeling which means that if you create one feature and find out you have to change it later, you don't have to restart the entire project, just my .02

·
Registered
358 Posts
reason i would go with solidworks or solidedge is that its parametric modeling which means that if you create one feature and find out you have to change it later, you don't have to restart the entire project, just my .02
Most CAD Programs have parametric features, I know Solidworks and Pro/E do, as do Catia and Inventor, I think. It's really up to you as to what program you want to use. There some that are better suited to the novice who wants to just design some simple parts, and then there are the more advanced programs for complex assemblies and arrangements. I think Google even has some type of 3-D software out now, you might look into that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For ultra low budget, try Cocreate, (free edition only of course) Google SketchUp, or Cadstd.com. All zero dinero.

·
Registered
560 Posts
CATIA is sick. I did a year of it in school. I did SDRC ideas too, one semester, but now in that class they replaced it wiht Solidworks. I might take it over again to learn that one too.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Solidworks is pricey but its awesome to use, especially if you want to combine multiple parts into an assembly. I buit my bumper in solidworks now i just print out the drawings of each individual part and i should have perfect geometry when i get to welding it :smokin:

Sam

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Pro doesn't expire after 2 years, this is where I got my home version. ;) They also have the spoken of student Solidworks version for $135 I believe.

PRO E Wildfire 3.0 for personal use $250

You can assemble mechanisms, turn on collisions and cycle suspensions if you get good enough with it. It also comes with Mechanica so you can perform FEA's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts