I think this would cover most failures:

Ahh, it failed because there wasn't enough triangulation/gussets/
and/or points.

Or, it rolled hard 7 times.

·
Premium Member
10,040 Posts
CTBrent said:
I don't think it would be considered "failure" if it saved you.
Not true. There have been many times where a person just got lucky and did not get killed when a cage either punched through the floor, broke, bent, or whatever else. Just because you get lucky does not mean that the cage wasn't a failure. Also, I dont feel like searching now but I can think of at least 2 other cage failure threads with lots of pics and discussion.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
braxton357 said:

Not true. There have been many times where a person just got lucky and did not get killed when a cage either punched through the floor, broke, bent, or whatever else. Just because you get lucky does not mean that the cage wasn't a failure. Also, I dont feel like searching now but I can think of at least 2 other cage failure threads with lots of pics and discussion.
I saw those.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
what would you really consider a "failed cage"?

i would say imho that any cage that will save your life is a cage that worked. i have seen many busted up cages on this board that people didnt even get hurt when it happened, and ive seen a few that have been really bad :(

in that being said i will continue building my cages overkill and still try to talk customers into a lot of tubing:). when i build a cage i use a lot of race car design into them. a lot of nodes and a lot of triangles, as much as i can get away with anyways.

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Yeah my cage failed pretty bad, I guess. But - I'm still here to reply to this thread, so what does that mean?? I think the word "failure" is subjective. Do you want a cage to save your life, and that's it?? Or - do you want it to sustain multiple roll-overs and not deform?? You get what you pay for, in the end...

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
nothing is fail proof. you cant built to accept any situation so you must over built to be able to survive those that you know.

The pic of the failed buggy with the red cage would appear to have hit that one spot hard on a rock caving it in.... aside from a center support in the 'windsheild' not much could have prevented that from happening .....

You get to a point were aside from building a almost solid block noting is gonna be fail safe.

·
Registered
612 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
what would you really consider a "failed cage"?

i would say imho that any cage that will save your life is a cage that worked. i have seen many busted up cages on this board that people didnt even get hurt when it happened, and ive seen a few that have been really bad :(

in that being said i will continue building my cages overkill and still try to talk customers into a lot of tubing:). when i build a cage i use a lot of race car design into them. a lot of nodes and a lot of triangles, as much as i can get away with anyways.

:D
Nice! Got any more pics of that cage? Side? Top? Front? Not asking for to much am I ? :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A cage that has failed but saved the occupants from injury has done it's job but is still a failure. Most people rather not rebuild their cage everytime they flop. Also - would they flop hard, it would probably kill them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.