Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a cage for a full removable top blazer. It is going to be a 6 point cage made with heavy wall DOM. My questions is about connecting the front and middle hoops. I would like to run two bars towards the center and none at the outside of the hoop, this would make it a lot easier to get in and out especially with the top off. I made a little graphic to show what I am talking about.

What do you think, will this sacrifice too much strength?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
B is a million times stronger

i will draw up what i want to do for a cage and show you the best of both, IMO

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
here, drawn from same perspective as you did. offers ease of entry plus support for the corners of the cage so they wont fold in in a nasty roll.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cage needs to fit under the roof and I think that design would have me hitting my head on the bars too easy.

I guess I will have to live with bars on the outside.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Jeep cages that don't look like they'll fold in a hard tumble:

This rig took a HARD pirouette around the right-rear corner and landed on the front-right corner of the cage off a 5 foot ledge:

I think you can see why it didn't so much as flinch:

Got jungle gym?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have cage "b" with diagonals in it for spreaders in my K5. I'm 6'2" and have never come close to hitting my head on the halo bar. Of course it never occured to me to stand up in the truck before I get out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
64rovr...

That will completely fold. You need something outside to keep everything from pivoting on that center spreader that runs between the 2 hoops. It may not have to be all the way out but you definately need something keeping your 2 triangles (front/rear) from pivoting where they meet.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Take 64rovr's drawing, add vertical bars at the "points", and that's what I have... Guess it goes without saying that I don't think any of the unsupported corner designs will work at all. I also don't like squares, they fold flat too easily...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Triangles are your friend... Still not ideal, but MUCH better...
Edit: Just noticed, similart to the Jeep...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
TNT, I'm looking at doing a cross between the two you've posted.
I like the top halo on the gray cage, but I'm going to add YJ style rear hoops. Like the rear hoop on the red cage, along the top of the tub, and spreaders.

Like the designs!

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Triangle=strong

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I wheeled with a guy running cage "A" on a first gen. Honestly, I didn't feel that it was a safe design AT ALL!!!

You don't want the cage to be REAL intrusive, but for the love of pete, this is a roll cage, no an entertainment center, let it do it's job. You are going to have to make a little sacrafice. traingulating the cage and adding propper support is vital.

That's kinda like not adding gussets cause you might hit your knee. That stuff is there for a reason...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Another point not yet mentioned is that while it is now easier for you to get into the cage with the roof off... it is that easy for a large rock to get through as well... So, beyond the fact that the front hoop can fold that much easier... even if it stays intact... depending on the terrain, you could still get crushed.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
yeah, but the guy's gotta be able to drive the thing without sitting in a weird cramped configuration, so gussets in places that would hit your knee, among other body parts, are gussets in the wrong place. if there's a gusset in a place where it might hit you at some point then planning the cage didn't take into account the person who had to sit inside it. yes, he should at least have the bars on the outside edge between the 2 hoops, but there is such a thing as too much tube, just like there is such a thing as too big a tire, just like there is such a thing as too low a gear, just like there is such a thing as too much horsepower, etc. over building is just that. on the other hand, if you're building a comp rig, build it from tube to begin with, then you don't have to worry about room inside because it SHOULD all have been planned out, and it's really hard to say when a comp buggy has been overbuilt because most of them need everything they have built into them, from the way i have seen some of those comp guys drive, anyway. some of them just have the tires going full speed constantly, without going very far at all, it's a wonder they don't overheat. my 2 cents.

:smokin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts