Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to tie my cage to my frame and have a question about the thickness of plate that I should use. I have 1/8" plate available but when I was looking at it tonight and it seemed to be a little to thin to me. Do you guys think 1/8" plate is going to be strong enough or should I go with 3/16".

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd use 1/4", but that's just me, I tend to overbuild crap. But overbuilt is better than broken.
Are you tying in the cage on your CJ? If so i'd like to see some pics on how you do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totaly agree that the last thing I want is for my cage to break away when I roll.

Yeah its on a CJ. I will post some pictures of the tie in as soon as I get it done. Hopefully I will get to it this week. It all just depends on work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys...i got the plates done today...I went into the shop and found some 1/4 plate (dont tell the boss)..they turned out pretty well...going to start working on the tie-ins tomorrow

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
there is a 3rd bolt in the mid brace, it is behind the tubing and there are 4 in the rear. I tried to get more of the angle out of the rear kicker but I was running into clearance issues with the rear tire. Once I go wider on my axles I should be able to reposition the rear kicker.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I like the rubber bushing method - you have rubber bushings between the body and the frame, so in order for that to work you need rubber bushings between the cage and the frame. There are ways to fab your own set-up if you want-I know I've seen it on Pirate before- *search*. I like the Poly Performance set-up myself, will do that on my Jeep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts