Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my red star.

With all the issues of folks getting hurt or even killed this year. I`d like to share a story.

Couple weeks ago dad and myself were attempting a short but steep hill. Ended up drifting over and hitting a tree at the very top of the hill. Instead of stopping or the YJ glancing off it climbed the tree. The result was a double endo and a sprial roll with it all ending rubber side up.

A full cage, tied into the frame and a set of harnesses saved my butt. Dad was not so lucky. He only had a lap belt on. Suffered multiple head trauma along with a torn off ear. My glasses did`nt even come off. Just a still neck out of it all. Dad got air lifted from the scene. Thank god he pulled through and is making a full recovery. Partially because some of the first responders (within seconds) were trained para medics. They along with many other Michigan wheelers at the event did everything they could to help us out. It scares me to think if had been in a remote area or trained help was`nt around what the outcome may have been.

Guys, do the cages. Tie it into the frame. Make it strong and dammit, USE YOUR HARNESS.

My cage was made by KOZ here in Michigan.

A plug for MasterCraft Seats/Harnesses and T&T.
MasterCraft seats and harnesses were installed as part of the original build. The seat and harness combo worked well together and held firm.
Also the YJ has a full set of T&T corners, sliders and tube fenders. Again you are looking at a YJ that did a double endo and a spiral roll. Hardtop, passenger door, hood, grille and the pass. T&T fender was all that got hurt body wise.
Without the T&T stuff damage would have been much worse.

The front shackle mount was torn from the frame and the steering linkage took out the radiator.

The YJ is almost back together and we will soon be out wheeling again. With everybody wearing there harness.

Wear it and live. Leave it off and die. Your choice.

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Ran with a couple guys recently, laps only in one rig. One 3/4 roll, and 2 people found they were moving a lot more than they wanted. Next time out, shoulders on both seats. Im glad to see it , as Im tired of seeing near misses. I really dont enjoy putting my friends back together.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am a firm believer in a harness I to was involved in a end over end roll over with only a lap belt resulting in a broken neck C3 and a torn ear . most broken necks result in death or being paralized . It was one of those lets go for a quick ride :shaking:.With the level of off road and vehicles it is crazy not to wear a full harness EVERY TIME you or I go off roading I will even start wearing a helmet I have way to much vested not to . I hope your dads ok that really sucks.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
HELMETS, as far as i'm concerned if you're wheeling you should not have a choice in the matter, no helmet no wheeling, as yeah a cage and harness are one of the smartest things to do, but not every rig as one or the means to do one up properly, so please HELMET.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Damn dude! That's a tough way to prove the worth of a harness! :eek: I think I'll be upgrading to a 5-point before I get too much farther into my build. Maybe a few extra cross-braces for the cage too. :mr-t:

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
good story, hope your Dad gets better soon, & I'm getting some 5 pt harnesses for myself and passenger. Lap belts for the rear but only because I plan to tell them to get the fuck down if i'm going to try anything.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Very happy to hear that your father is going to make a full recovery... I too need to be more vigilant about wearing my shoulder straps... I've been in at least 1 really hard roll without them... and they're RIGHT THERE!

Helmets are also a great idea...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
After being in a few high speed rollovers in a race vehicle with 5 points, I wonder how long until window nets get attention, I know ive been put into a few high speed barrel rolls and me trying to pull my arms in was non-existant only a window net saved my limbs. Ive seen more than one occasion where occupents, even 5 pointed, do the natural thing and try to stop the roll with their hands and or hang onto the cage.

Edit: glad to hear everyone was OK! clean YJ

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good story, hope your Dad gets better soon, & I'm getting some 5 pt harnesses for myself and passenger. Lap belts for the rear but only because I plan to tell them to get the fuck down if i'm going to try anything.
Don`t do it buddy. Put harnesses in the back to. That`s where my kids ride and they have been taught to wear them and not to put there hands out if the Jeep gets tippy or starts to roll. As we often wheel with the top off.

What could I say to the family if one of my daughters got busted up or even killed cause they didnt have the same safety equipment as dad up front ?

If you need a harness for the back. Send me a PM and I`ll send you a brand new Mastercraft rear seat harness.

Do the cage and add the braces !!!! Tie it to the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Heh, John didn't post it, but there were pics of the trees that had bark 15+ ft up taken off by his jeep as it went over..

More confirmation that I did the right thing ordering a pair of Pro-Tec's for my truck..

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm glad you are OK and I hope your dad makes a full recovery.

I don't think there is enough emphasis on safety. It surprises me that there aren't any real good tech articles that cover cage design and and harnesses and such. Not that I can find anyways.

I am in the middle of the build for my truck and am designing the cage. I plan on having 4 buckets in my crew cab instead of a benches. 4 or 5 points all the way around.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, John didn't post it, but there were pics of the trees that had bark 15+ ft up taken off by his jeep as it went over..

More confirmation that I did the right thing ordering a pair of Pro-Tec's for my truck..
Thanks Jason !! If you can get a copy feel free to post it.

Wish I was heading to Canada with you guys, ENJOY !!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Good to hear that your dad is going to be ok. I've been in several good rolls, never anything tooooo severe, but enough to shake up the noggin. After it's all said and done, I'm usually just hanging there waiting for someone to pop my harness for me. So is anyone who rides with me. If it even goes close to getting off camber or steep, the shoulder belts are on. Just cruising down the trail, lap belts are fine by me, but if I have to stop to look at a line, or think about what I'm doing, then it's time to put the harnesses on. As far as passengers, anyone that rides with me knows not to put a hand out of the cage and to cross their arms over their chest and hold their harnesses with a death grip, nothing else.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Every so often the obvious isn't. Your story is like a slap in the face wake up call, thanks. Harnesses are to be the next thing installed in my rig. Glad to hear your dads OK as well as yourself.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
My Blazer is being built w/5pts on all 4 seats. My kids ride in the back, and they won't be neglected. :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts