Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Canada should be good, wish you guys were coming up with us...

Lets see if these post:

UUHHHH,
Thanks I think, Jason :laughing:

Guys, this is just the type of response I was hoping for. An awareness of safety.

To help put the vehicle dynamics in place. Second gear on a NV4500 (say 2.5:1) and an Atlas 3.8 in low range with 5.13`s.
In plain english maybe 10-12 mph when this all happened. It doesnt take much speed to really screw up.

BTW I would like to put a plug for dad. Yes he is doing well and expect a full recovery. Thanks for all the kind words. But that stubborn donkey is 80 years old. :eek: Hell I`ll be lucky to walk when I`m 80 much less go crashing Jeeps.
One of the best parts of the whole incident was when we met at the hospital and the first thing he said was "Damm that was one helluva a ride `eh ?"

You all know the saying......If this saves one poor ass then it will be worth it. Just don`t be that ass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm gonna show my dad this. he has been reluctant to put shoulder harnesses back in his jeep. He has rolled it 2 times end over end on 2 differet occasions. He taught me from a young age to grab the bottom of the seat,tuck yourself in and hold on

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Thanks for reminding us that our sport can be dangerous, and I'm so pleased both of you are doing ok.

A harness, and a hat, will save your life. And the people who say "I need to be able to move around to reach stuff" are talking bollocks!
It's not rocket science to fit seat runners and a steering column off a late car with tilt and reach adjustment.

Dave

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm gonna show my dad this. he has been reluctant to put shoulder harnesses back in his jeep. He has rolled it 2 times end over end on 2 differet occasions. He taught me from a young age to grab the bottom of the seat,tuck yourself in and hold on
Bullcrap advice IMHO. Things happen so fast and the G forces are so great that it isnt gonna happen. Guess that`s why my seat base doesnt fold so good anymore.

Sorry buddy for the harsh words but you havent seen your dad laying in a pool of blood with this head all busted up and his ear lying on his shoulder.

Round two came when I had to clean the inside of the Jeep before the kids or anyone else saw it. Yeah I did find the other half of his ear. In the back seat.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Where the Hell in Michigan were you wheeling?

I wheel in the UP and have ahd some horrible experiences up there that sure scared me good.

Three slow-speed flops have taught me the value of my seatbelts!

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
HELMETS, as far as i'm concerned if you're wheeling you should not have a choice in the matter, no helmet no wheeling, as yeah a cage and harness are one of the smartest things to do, but not every rig as one or the means to do one up properly, so please HELMET.

Yes, a helmet is a good idea but it's far from a replacement for a good cage and harnesses. I've never seen a rig that couldn't have a good cage installed, or harnesses added so there's no excuse to not do it. A helmet will not prevent neck/back injuries, and does not entirely protect against head injury especially if your body is free to flail around. This doesn't really apply to jeeps/trucks with cages added, but a properly designed buggy can make a helmet entirely unnecessary. Dustins old single seater had so much space for body movement and such a good seat/harness combo that he came away from a number of REALLY hard rolls laughing. One in particular went over several times, covering several hundred yards, and did an amazing amount of damage to wheels, steering arms, suspension mounts, etc, and he was smiling when the ride ended.

Dallas

·
Registered
27 Posts
That story scares me to death. I am about to finish my first open top Jeep build and I dont have any harnesses . I just dont have the money ATM....i have a full cage that I will be going outside and adding more tube to after I post this ....I have normal lap/shoulder seatbelts and it scares me to think that my wife could get hurt because of me not getting better safety gear. Maybe someone with the right knowledge about these things should make a sticky about the pros's and cons of different seats and harnesses , if there isnt one already. I would gladly take any advice as to a good cheap set of seats and harnesses as long as they were safe and proven. I am glad that his dad is going to be ok , I cant imagine how he felt .

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Where the Hell in Michigan were you wheeling?

I wheel in the UP and have ahd some horrible experiences up there that sure scared me good.

Three slow-speed flops have taught me the value of my seatbelts!
Private property, in the middle of the state...

I haven't been up in the UP for years wheeling.. is there anything left that open up there? It ends up being shorter for us downstaters to go into Canada, then head to the western side of the UP.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It ends up being shorter for us downstaters to go into Canada, then head to the western side of the UP.
Where in Canada do you wheel? Near the Sue?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
while on this topic where are ppl getting harnesses for a good price?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't forget the sub belt. Some of you said you will put five point belts in; this is good. I see a lot of riggs out there with out them. The sub is just as important as the rest; it keeps you from rising up out of your seat. It's amazing how far you boddy will streach in a roll. I resently took a bad roll and hit my head on a bar that is about 10" from my head; I had my shoulder and lap belts on but not my sub this would not have happened if I was wearing it. The worst thing is I know better. It will not happen again.

·
Registered
627 Posts
while on this topic where are ppl getting harnesses for a good price?
Mine are Crow, got them from randy at jimmys 4x4. The truth is though that any of the major manufactors that make harnesse's have to build them to certain safety requirments, so go with a name brand and not a $12 no name and youll be just fine

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Yes, a helmet is a good idea but it's far from a replacement for a good cage and harnesses. I've never seen a rig that couldn't have a good cage installed, or harnesses added so there's no excuse to not do it. A helmet will not prevent neck/back injuries, and does not entirely protect against head injury especially if your body is free to flail around. This doesn't really apply to jeeps/trucks with cages added, but a properly designed buggy can make a helmet entirely unnecessary. Dustins old single seater had so much space for body movement and such a good seat/harness combo that he came away from a number of REALLY hard rolls laughing. One in particular went over several times, covering several hundred yards, and did an amazing amount of damage to wheels, steering arms, suspension mounts, etc, and he was smiling when the ride ended.

Dallas
Agreed that there is no reason not to build a cage, but there is also no excuse not to wear helmet, i mean i don't really care if you have a properly built cage or not, majority of buggies out there dimension wise have bars within head range, and as stated above you do flail around inside that cockpit a good bit, and it DOESN'T take much of a hit to fawk you up permantly, i've seen it happen to many times in all aspects of sports, motorized or not. Does the helmet have to be a dot approved helmet, not necessarily, but for competitions it better be, but helmets for things like skateboarding and skiing are great ideas for the weekend fun run. (there was a big thread about helmets a little bit ago, had a bunch in it) Yeah you may look a little odd, but tough shit you probably just saved your brain from turning into soup.

Remember that helemts are relatively cheap/time saving compared to what can be put into a cage, but can one be subsituted for the other, nope, should one have both, yes but at least have something.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
stupid ? but what is the sub belt
Not a stupid question at all.

The sub belt is mounted underneath the seat. It threads up through a cut out in your seat just in front of your manhood.

For the driver,
Left lap, left shoulder, sub, right shoulder, right lap with the hasp (buckle) is how they go together. Confusing at first but soon becomes a no brainer. Just like putting on a regular car seat belt.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
stupid ? but what is the sub belt
Sub = submarine. As noted, its the crotch belt.

Frankly, I don't feel that (the 5th point in a 5 point..) it does much in a 4x4, if you have a relatively upright seating position.

5 points come from racing, where a reclined position puts the driver much more horizonal, and with the very high speeds involved, inertia coudl make a driver go out the bottom of the harness without that belt.

Myself, I'm putting 4 points with 2" straps into my upcoming flattie build.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts