Pirate 4x4 banner

Cages and Harnesses a True Story

9K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  chris demartini 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought my red star.

With all the issues of folks getting hurt or even killed this year. I`d like to share a story.

Couple weeks ago dad and myself were attempting a short but steep hill. Ended up drifting over and hitting a tree at the very top of the hill. Instead of stopping or the YJ glancing off it climbed the tree. The result was a double endo and a sprial roll with it all ending rubber side up.

A full cage, tied into the frame and a set of harnesses saved my butt. Dad was not so lucky. He only had a lap belt on. Suffered multiple head trauma along with a torn off ear. My glasses did`nt even come off. Just a still neck out of it all. Dad got air lifted from the scene. Thank god he pulled through and is making a full recovery. Partially because some of the first responders (within seconds) were trained para medics. They along with many other Michigan wheelers at the event did everything they could to help us out. It scares me to think if had been in a remote area or trained help was`nt around what the outcome may have been.

Guys, do the cages. Tie it into the frame. Make it strong and dammit, USE YOUR HARNESS.

My cage was made by KOZ here in Michigan.

A plug for MasterCraft Seats/Harnesses and T&T.
MasterCraft seats and harnesses were installed as part of the original build. The seat and harness combo worked well together and held firm.
Also the YJ has a full set of T&T corners, sliders and tube fenders. Again you are looking at a YJ that did a double endo and a spiral roll. Hardtop, passenger door, hood, grille and the pass. T&T fender was all that got hurt body wise.
Without the T&T stuff damage would have been much worse.

The front shackle mount was torn from the frame and the steering linkage took out the radiator.

The YJ is almost back together and we will soon be out wheeling again. With everybody wearing there harness.

Wear it and live. Leave it off and die. Your choice.

Attachments

See less See more
#45 ·
Had my 1st roll myself this year. I can't speak enough about how I feel about the cage. It is frame tied. I also have 4 points harnesses, and at the time was only wearing the lap belts. The 8 year old passenger had all 4 straps on. There were no injuries, and I barely felt like I moved in the seat, but I can't help but ponder how I would have felt with the shoulder straps on. Like good brakes and steering, a proper cage, and restraints are of paramount importance for off-roading. More important than tires, horsepower, lockers, etc.... IMHO.

#50 ·
In addition to the 5-pt harness and proper cage, the grab bar for passengers is also important. As the driver you're undoubtely hanging on to the steering wheel, but the passenger (could be anyone your dad, fiance, in-law, pastor/rabbi, tennis coach, hot date with a nice rack) could have an elbow out the window or a hand under the roof. With a grab bar in arms reach and harness cinched down, he wont move much relative to the seat and wont risk crushing a limb. Grab bars can even telescope with a detent to fit the gorillas to the little dudes you trail ride with.

When the dust settles, everyone wants to walk away from a roll, right the rig, and go at it again with another line.

#55 · (Edited)
In addition to the 5-pt harness and proper cage, the grab bar for passengers is also important. rig

I somewhat agree, I have toyed with the ideal of putting one in the pass. side of my rig but my wife, (who is in there 90% of the time) doesnt think she would like it, she already knows to cross her arms and grab each oposite shoulder belt, I honostly think you could hold on to the shoulder straps in a X fashion better then a grab bar, just my thoughts,

any way anytime someone who I am not sure if they know what to do in a rollover is riding with me, before we go anywhere I explain to them what to do while we are adjusting the belts for them, I tell to no matter what NEVER put your arms or hands outside the door/window and to cross the arms and grab the belts, "With those belts on, your not going anywhere, except for a ride":D

#53 ·
If the OP's story isnt enough of a reality check, let the below series of pics be it.
Stay safe folks.

Holy shiate:eek::eek: Is that you Manning? Damn, ripped the body off the frame...wow...then you walked away? Did you go buy a lotto ticket that day, or did you figure all your luck was used up?

#60 ·
thats some crazy shit stock cabs dont hold up so good just flopping my buddies pushed the top of the cab over a foot good thing i bought a tube bender so everyone of my friends can benefit and stay safe

#61 ·
A few years back a friend of mine was wheelin at the Badlands. He was in the sand pit or whatever you call it trying to climb up the side. About the third or fourth attempt he almost made it but the jeep went over backwards and rolled five or six times back down. Both the driver and passenger had their harnesses on. Passenger walked away no problem, driver's harness wasn't tight. in the video you can see him flopping around in his harness.His head bounced off the cage and he ended up in the hospital for a few days.

He's okay now and still wheeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.