Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals.

I am trying to find the best way to calculate the correct shock length on my 82 Toy. I will be running 63" Chevy Rears, and Rears up front. Is there a good all around length? Also, how much cmpression should I shoot for at ride height?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
jack it up by the frame and let the suspension Droop out and rotate the wheels turn the steering check for binds and measure for shocks and limit straps. Hope this helps its not the only way but a good start.:)

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
jack it up by the frame and let the suspension Droop out and rotate the wheels turn the steering check for binds and measure for shocks and limit straps. Hope this helps its not the only way but a good start.:)
That will get you the extended length, but you need to measure the suspension at full "bump" compression as well to get the collapsed length. Then you can figure amount of travel you need... look through the shock application (has extended and compressed measurements) and find the one that matches the closest. Aside from length you need to pick a shock that is valved for your application, no point in putting shocks valved for a foolsized superduty that weight 2X more that your rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts