Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll answer my own question. The motherboard is accessed by removing the phillips screws on the display panel and then lifting the entire wheel weight tray up and off the machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
repair manual

I need to replace one of the shaft position sensors, or at the least recalibrate its proximity to the balancing shaft. I'm guess that is done using a feeler gauge to set the distance between the shaft and the sensor. I don't know the gap to set it too though.

Does anyone know, or have access to the repair manual for a John Bean 4100 (fmc 4100) wheel balancer? I think it's actually a snap-on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this was a while ago, but here's some info for future reference (hopefully it's helpful now too). RP6 LO or LP6 LO mean "right pickup gain low" or "left pickup gain low", and the gains are adjustable via two pots on the main board. They're two cube parts with little white slot screws on 'em.

Screw the calibration slug into the shaft. Enter F11 and let it spin - it'll read two numbers. The number in the left window corresponds to the left pot, and the right to the right. The values should be between .39 and .6, and the manual specifies .53 as "preferred". Just adjust the pots until you get as close to .53 as you can get.

I got my 4100 (essentially the same as the 5800) for free cause the guy who had it couldn't figure out how to fix it - I adjusted the pots and it was good to go.

I have a copy of the repair manual (some of it, anyways) so if you want it, send me a PM.

Hope this helps you or someone else.
Hello,
I have a FMC 5800 a recently purchased. This seems to be the only site out there that even mentions Tire balancer repair. I have scoured the internet for a service manual for this thing and cannot find one. I was wondering if anyone here would have one?

-Harq

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fmc 2500 has 4 fuses under the weight tray. They fuse the low voltage AC power from the transformer to the control board. I drew up a wiring diagram if it helps. I've also traced out the part of the board that drives the two relays. I'd love to find a circuit board diagram for any of the 2500, 4100, 5800, or 5.1 balancers. Snap On tells me they don't have any service information for these anymore.
Ken

·
Registered
42 Posts
Man, I suck at keeping up with this - Pirate never sends me PM notifications or thread notifications so I forget to check back.

I've uploaded the zip file with all the info I have at http://ge.tt/5Oc3T3j2 - sorry to all who've been waiting years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for coming back! I have the LP6 LO message. When running the F11 I get a reading of .02 and .43. No change when adjusting the pots on the PCB. The F42 ranges from -.24 to -.36 and the F43 ranges -.04 to +.08 Any suggestions were to head?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for coming back! I have the LP6 LO message. When running the F11 I get a reading of .02 and .43. No change when adjusting the pots on the PCB. The F42 ranges from -.24 to -.36 and the F43 ranges -.04 to +.08 Any suggestions were to head?
Do you have the calibration slug threaded into the shaft when you run F11? I remember the numbers being way out of whack when I did it without the slug installed.

If you do, I'd try it without, and see if the numbers change significantly. If they do, are you sure you're adjusting the right pot? I found it took small changes in pot for large changes in readout, and you had to wait a second for the display to update.

If you're adjusting the correct pot and have the slug installed, I don't really know.. you know it's the left that's wrong so maybe look for dirt on the left pickup, or broken solder joints, or something similar. That's kind of where my electronic knowledge falls off...

Good luck tho!

·
Registered
3 Posts
After switching the plugs on the board it looks like I have a sensor that is not reporting and one pot that doesn't adjust. Haven't had any luck finding parts though, it may be the time has come to buy a new machine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm confident you can get any part you need at a place like Digikey - it just might take some sleuthing to figure out which replacement will work. The pot should be simple, it's probably a standard layout and you just need to know the resistance range. The sensor might be more difficult though.

Good luck, if you decide to scrap the machine I'd be interested in the boards and stuff for spares!

·
Registered
5 Posts
After switching the plugs on the board it looks like I have a sensor that is not reporting and one pot that doesn't adjust. Haven't had any luck finding parts though, it may be the time has come to buy a new machine.
Double failures are unlikely. I'd at least try adjusting the pot with the sensor leads switched before condemning the pot. I got the impression that the piezo (crystal) sensors tend to be generic and probably are available if you measure the size of what you have and want to chance a replacement. I believe I have the preload torque spec for the sensors if you find a new or used sensor.

isaac338
Thanks for posting that sensor test information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wanted to come in and say I searched all over the Internet and this was the only thread that helped me. I have an Atlas 4100ATC that my father bought new in 1981. It stopped working a few years ago and I was about to throw it out but then I figured "hey let me call the company." I called Atlas and it turned out this machine has nothing to do with them, its just a rebranded John Bean that was sold to Exxon dealerships. So that led me to this thread... I would have never known about the F11 code! I have the user guide for the machine which explains the F1 but doesn't explain the error codes it displayed when it died. Less than a minute adjusting the pots and we're back in business. Thanks again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
May as well keep adding to this thread - I moved my balancer today and dropped it (ugh), and after, it started throwing the LP6 LO again.

I took the top covers off to find the left crystal had come out completely - it's a little cylinder sandwiched between two ball bearings at the left end of the shaft. I loosened the set screw, fished it back in, and tightened it up. The balancer then threw RP6 LO, so I tightened the right crystal (right end of the shaft, facing the operator), and it's working great again.

So, keep in mind if you've got LP6/RP6 LO and you're not getting a reading with F11, make sure the crystals are present and tight. You can check the crystal voltages directly with F41 and F42.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With your support and encouragement ours lives! Took the crystals out, found the shield wires disconnected, soldered them on, cleaned up the accumulation of dust and grease, then re installed them. Now there are both in range of the pot adjustment. If we ever replace ours I'll check back here to see if you can still use it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since this thread seems to be the main go to in internetland for these balancers, does anyone happen to have the quick reference diagram that came with the balancer which shows weight locations and which ALU and number buttons to press for each of the locations? I used to have access to a balancer which had that quick ref on it and now that I own my own 4100 I'd like to see if I can scrounge up a picture at least of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Duck,

No problem. Can you post the preload spec for the crystals? Thanks.
Hi isaac338,

I would be very, very grateful if you could post or PM me a photo of the circuit board.

I am working on a FMC 4100 and it appears that somebody had a go at it previously. It currently does not power on. I have checked voltage rails, capacitors, etc.

I would like to compare some component locations and I have not been able to find another board or a photo.

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
FMc 2500

This has been very educational. Still not sure what I am fixing until I replace a blown fuse, but the cal er is still there. Next time I am in the shop I will try the F11 and check those settings, but if someone has a picture of the shaft sensors that would be great to see.

you will have to pm me as I am too new to post email address.

I am willys55CJ3b

at

Yahoo

dot come

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since this thread seems to be the main go to in internetland for these balancers, does anyone happen to have the quick reference diagram that came with the balancer which shows weight locations and which ALU and number buttons to press for each of the locations? I used to have access to a balancer which had that quick ref on it and now that I own my own 4100 I'd like to see if I can scrounge up a picture at least of it.
I was using mine today and I can't figure out how the ALU numbers are supposed to be entered - the manual says you're supposed to press ALU and then a number corresponding to the diagram you're talking about. The ALU button changes the display to show "ALU" on mine but pressing the number keys after doesn't change anything. Does it work on yours?

There's a picture of that diagram in the manual at http://www.snaponequipment.com/common/documentation/op-manuals/john-bean/wheel-balancers/past-products/4100_om.pdf - if that's not what you mean I have a copy of the reference sheets and can take a picture of them probably.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This has been very educational. Still not sure what I am fixing until I replace a blown fuse, but the cal er is still there. Next time I am in the shop I will try the F11 and check those settings, but if someone has a picture of the shaft sensors that would be great to see.

you will have to pm me as I am too new to post email address.

I am willys55CJ3b

at

Yahoo

dot come
Newjo,

I'll try and take a picture of it when I have it apart next.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts