Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi isaac338,

I would be very, very grateful if you could post or PM me a photo of the circuit board.

I am working on a FMC 4100 and it appears that somebody had a go at it previously. It currently does not power on. I have checked voltage rails, capacitors, etc.

I would like to compare some component locations and I have not been able to find another board or a photo.

Thank you very much in advance!
Kalinrs,

I'll definitely get a picture of it for you next time I have it apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fmc 4100 inop

anybody know where to purchase relays in 2017? need wiring diagram to hook up relays . thanks.purchased balancer new in 1989 last century.never had a come back.thanks andy 905-852-6704

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok folks,
Finally got some time to dink around with the balancer. Adjusted the pots, but the left side makes no changes. Where are the sensors? I am wondering if they may be dislodged. Also I did find one of the four fuses blown could that be the issue?

Hoping you experts can help me out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok folks,
Finally got some time to dink around with the balancer. Adjusted the pots, but the left side makes no changes. Where are the sensors? I am wondering if they may be dislodged. Also I did find one of the four fuses blown could that be the issue?

Hoping you experts can help me out.
I'm not sure what the fuses fuse exactly but obviously it should be replaced. The sensors are located around the shaft, look for a locknut and a set screw.
One is on the very underside of the shaft housing on the right as you face the balancer, the other is on the top as far left as you can go, under the weight tray, if I remember right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Issac, I'll take a look.

Having a little trouble finding the fuse locally. Have tried electrical supply houses and tractor supply, depot and lowes. Next step is auto parts store unless someone has a link for online purchase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always have good luck with stuff like that at Digikey - it's always dirt cheap, shipping is cheap, and they usually get it here in 2 days (a rarity for a Canadian address!). And their selection is absolutely massive so it's likely you'll find what you need there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
John bean 4100

I just got this balancer and it worked good for about 10 tires now it was not reading right and would not calibrate at all , so I read this site and I tried the pots and got the balancer to calibrate but now the wheel calls for weights on both sides and I install the weights but when I put the hood down to check the balance and to see it come up 000 and 000 , I get 1.25 on one side and .75 on the other side so then I check it again the balancer says and more weight to the wheel .... What am I doing wrong ? I adjusted the pots with the small screw driver , just no clue what I'm doing wrong ....any help would be nice thanks for your time

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got this balancer and it worked good for about 10 tires now it was not reading right and would not calibrate at all , so I read this site and I tried the pots and got the balancer to calibrate but now the wheel calls for weights on both sides and I install the weights but when I put the hood down to check the balance and to see it come up 000 and 000 , I get 1.25 on one side and .75 on the other side so then I check it again the balancer says and more weight to the wheel .... What am I doing wrong ? I adjusted the pots with the small screw driver , just no clue what I'm doing wrong ....any help would be nice thanks for your time
Did you calibrate it after adjusting the gains? Are you putting the correct wheel dimensions in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I did , I got the pots both on .40 and the balancer calibrate perfect all good even getting 5.50 on the left side with the slug(weight thing left on after calibrating) I take the slug off and I run the machine with nothing on and the left is .000 and right is .000 if I just put a rim on , no tire it came up .50 oz and I hammered it in and rebalanced again with that rim .000 and .000.... But every time I balance one of my tires it reads on the first balance 1.50 oz and .75 so I hammer on the weights and try the balance again it will read 1.50 oz and 1.00 oz almost on the same spots I just put weights too.... So if I hammer them in and try to see if it balanced again it comes up 2.50 oz and 3.00 oz ... Yes I'm setting the rim up with the width and stuff I have no answer to it....thanks for your time

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honestly, I dunno.. but if it balances a bare wheel right it kind of makes me think you've got a screwy tire - something that's spinning on the wheel or has broken belts and is floating around or something.

I've definitely had mine want more and more weight in the same place if I put the wheel parameters in wrong. Maybe try static balancing on that wheel/tire and see if it comes up zero there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.
The FMC 2500 crystals are installed with a 7/32 greased ball on each end and the cup point set screw is torqued to 35 inch-lbs. Then back off the setscrew and re-torque to 30 inch-lbs.

F42 and F43 readings for the left and right amplifiers must be between -1.0 and +1.0 or my unit will not calibrate or be accurate. After removing the conformal coating around the two CA3160 amplifier chips and confirming that all the surrounding components were good, I eventually realized that my balancer only had a problem in humid weather. Blowing warm (not hot) air on the amplifiers for a few seconds brings the F42 and F43 readings into spec and everything is good for the rest of the day on my unit in an unheated shop.

The original owner of my balancer had a 150 watt light bulb in the bottom of the cabinet to keep the circuit board dry and now I know why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help needed fmc 4100

any help would be appreciated.have a 4100 fmc and the input keys for the parameters do not work.all else does just cant input offset,width and diameter.nothing shows up on the led only 0"s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only a single ALU function

I was using mine today and I can't figure out how the ALU numbers are supposed to be entered - the manual says you're supposed to press ALU and then a number corresponding to the diagram you're talking about. The ALU button changes the display to show "ALU" on mine but pressing the number keys after doesn't change anything. Does it work on yours?
Hi Isaac, Your thread and download Zip has been a help! I have an older FMC 4100 and the ALU function is only a 1 function test, there are not selectable ALU functions. I have the original "how to quick guide" for the machine that explains this. If memory serves correct you place the left weight on the inner lip and then stick on ones 4" to the right of those for the ALU function. If anyone wants this I can try and post a picture of my old beat up diagram.

So Some of the earlier 4100's only have a single ALU function.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
FMC 5800 Wheel Balancer Technical Manual

Hello, I have two of these balancers and they seem to be giving me trouble with calibration and the rpg lo and lpg lo and i have adjusted the pots and then it will work for awhile and then act up again. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this was a while ago, but here's some info for future reference (hopefully it's helpful now too). RP6 LO or LP6 LO mean "right pickup gain low" or "left pickup gain low", and the gains are adjustable via two pots on the main board. They're two cube parts with little white slot screws on 'em.

Screw the calibration slug into the shaft. Enter F11 and let it spin - it'll read two numbers. The number in the left window corresponds to the left pot, and the right to the right. The values should be between .39 and .6, and the manual specifies .53 as "preferred". Just adjust the pots until you get as close to .53 as you can get.

I got my 4100 (essentially the same as the 5800) for free cause the guy who had it couldn't figure out how to fix it - I adjusted the pots and it was good to go.

I have a copy of the repair manual (some of it, anyways) so if you want it, send me a PM.

Hope this helps you or someone else.
could you send me a 4100 repair manual.

thanks for your help,

jl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, thanks.

Does anyone else have a copy of the service manual for a FMC 4100 or FMC 5800 wheel balancer.

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you twist the pot screws to the right? If so, how far. I don't see noticeable changes after I make a half or even complete turn. Do you allow the machine to continue spinning while turning the screw? There is a third screw to the far right, what does that one do? I have an FMC 4100 wheel balancer. Thanks in advance for the replies.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts