Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I havnt measured him yet, I'll find some time this week and let you know. Is your antler hard underneath? I've been toying with trying to do a euro mount with velvet...
Ya always hard underneath come archery season. There's actually a recent HUSHIN video where a mule deer buck breaks off while still growing.
My bucks velvet was within hour of coming off. After those pics were taken I rolled him down to creek and then after boning him out I carried head out two miles in hand so it got 30% stripped off and is peeling like a banana now.
Look into stripping it and reapplying the faux velvet after you euro it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
and here we are one year later lol

We got on 2 great bucks yesterday, Great size for being coastal bucks

22" antlers! I bet both of these bucks are alot smaller than they used to be in their peak.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nice 3 pointers rooster.

I had a 3 pointer at 20-25yds Friday morning. Was in the pines and I couldn't make out his antlers so I pulled up my binos, saw he was legal, drew back and he ran off as I settled my pin.

Later I arrowed a black bear but shot was through tall grass and I didn't have time to range him. Hit high shoulder as I guessed 25yds but was downhill so more like 20. Grass may have effected shot placement as well. Either way I followed tracks downhill for probably 300yds before I found blood. Followed it out until it got too dark. Sporadic dark drops of muscle blood. Less than ideal but never found him.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice 3 pointers rooster.

Thank you chev! the bigger one was shot at 385 yards and it took us until the next morning to find it but nothing got to it and it was a clean shot so it bled out quick, I got mine from 30 yards and it landed 3' infront of where the truck was parked haha. Ive seen more deer this season than the last 5 years combined, last winter was good to us down here.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
While I'm tagged out for California deer, my ol lady still has a b tag. I've been up bear hunting and looking around for an easy buck for her the past two weekends and Monday afternoon I spotted a good buck for her. An 18" wide 4x4. Was all I could do not to just shoot the dang thing and deal with the legalities later. He was cruising around with two smaller bucks, (a spike x 3 and a forkie) just thrashing the brush with his antlers and posturing toward the other bucks.
Was cool to watch but hope to see him again with a wad of copper through his vitals and a woman standing over him with a huge smile on her face.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got on that 4pointer Saturday evening at 380 yds. The ol lady took one shot and hit him hard in the shoulder. He bucked up and hobbled left on three legs. Before she could get off a second shot we lost track of him in the trees. About ten minutes after the shot a coyote strolled through there and as I was about to shoot him he bolts down into the trees where the buck had just been. We sat and waited to see or hear what was happening but nothing. Decided that it was best to leave him overnight even with the potential for the coyotes to eat him because of how steep and far it was to get to him. Didn't want to be stumbling around in the dark looking for blood etc.
Next morning we get in there and find 8 tiny drops of blood and that was it. Put in 10 miles between us looking up and down the canyon but turned up nothing. The hit was either forward or low. Hoping for low so we can get another chance to harvest him. If the coyotes haven't already...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts