Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on an 88 sas 4runner.

I know the swap is possible using the R150 trans with duals behind it. Seen enough threads. Non that were california smog legal tho.

Been through the BAR a few times now doing 3.4 swaps but I am thinking id like to try a 1uz for my new runner project.

I don't see how this can be done since the donors for a 1uz were all automatics so there isn't an ECM that would california compliment in existence.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Anyone have a link to something, or knows?

I like 5speeds too much so if this isn't possible, I'll start shopping for wrecked tacomas or runners and go 3.4 and pray to find a supercharged one.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your best bet would be to call your local Ref and ask. Sadly I doubt they will approve it give the lack of match ECM.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I am thinking too. Just thought someone would have a hopeful insight. Most of threads on this are fairly dated now and I was hoping that some near glimmer of hope would pop up.

Looks like a 3.4........still not a terrible option. Love mine in the 92 excab!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
From what I remember from Boogers thread is that there is issues with having a car engine in a truck... aswell as the auto manual issue.

If i did it again I would have just run a 2uz with the T100 or pickup auto. Bolts right up to the 2uz and still retains right hand drop trans. Cheap and easy.

In my optinion, dont worry about duals.. My truck crawls as slow as my buddies 22r with duals in first and 4low while he is in double low.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
From what I remember from Boogers thread is that there is issues with having a car engine in a truck... aswell as the auto manual issue.

If i did it again I would have just run a 2uz with the T100 or pickup auto. Bolts right up to the 2uz and still retains right hand drop trans. Cheap and easy.

In my optinion, dont worry about duals.. My truck crawls as slow as my buddies 22r with duals in first and 4low while he is in double low.
Or run a different case, a set of duals built for a v8 is atlas money or used 4spd atlas money.... Both of which can bolt up to the auto.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's so wrong with the auto?
Absolutely nothing. Just love the 5speed feel.

I don't think the car engine into a truck is an issue for Ca. smog Rosslandtoy, but I could be wrong. I've seen quite a few 1uz's swapped into pickups and runners that are smog legal. Just can't go older. Mine is an 88 so that's not a concern.

The lack of a manual option on these vehicle is what's killing it.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You can put a car engine in a truck.

Pretty positive that you would need the auto for the ref visit but I imagine you could get away with swapping the 5spd in afterwards. I doubt it would get noticed on your bi annual smog check, it might even be completely legal to do. I don't think there is anything that says you can't switch trans type.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
or just put a 5.3 with stock trans and tcase. better than 1uz and far better aftermarket options.

and if you say to stay all toyota, you need to be kicked in the nuts

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Pretty positive that you would need the auto for the ref visit but I imagine you could get away with swapping the 5spd in afterwards. I doubt it would get noticed on your bi annual smog check, it might even be completely legal to do. I don't think there is anything that says you can't switch trans type.
The ECM will trigger the check engine light when it doesn't get communication with the transmission which I'm almost positive is an automatic fail on a smog test at any time.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

The smog tech will flag that on his visual inspection.

BTW, its the class of engine that is an issue. You can't swap a medium duty or heavy duty truck engines (think 10L cummins engines or CAT engines) into a light duty truck. I believe they consider light duty trucks and cars as the same class.

Unfortuneatly, your SOL on a 1uz with a manual trans in the states.

Kevo

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
The smog tech will flag that on his visual inspection.

BTW, its the class of engine that is an issue. You can't swap a medium duty or heavy duty truck engines (think 10L cummins engines or CAT engines) into a light duty truck. I believe they consider light duty trucks and cars as the same class.

Unfortuneatly, your SOL on a 1uz with a manual trans in the states.

Kevo
I would think that once the 1uz/auto passes the ref and is stickered smog legal, then you could swap in a manual, right?

Why not just leave it 2wd until the ref looks at it, then put the manual tranny in after?

technically, the SC400 had a manual option overseas and in Canada.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I would think that once the 1uz/auto passes the ref and is stickered smog legal, then you could swap in a manual, right?

Why not just leave it 2wd until the ref looks at it, then put the manual tranny in after?

technically, the SC400 had a manual option overseas and in Canada.
During the check, there is a dialogue box for manual/ auto. Also as mentioned any cel, or lack of readiness monitors is an automatic failure.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
During the check, there is a dialogue box for manual/ auto. Also as mentioned any cel, or lack of readiness monitors is an automatic failure.
With a manual ECU swapped in after the fact, I don't see a CEL as being an issue. Again, after the swap is done and signed off. I don't see a smog tech needing to unbolt the ECU to see if its auto/manual I guess.

Then again, its been 7yrs since I left CA.

Ironically, I did 4.0L swap on my old 85 CJ7 out there. Never took it to the ref. It passed smog 2x while I owned it. IMO, most smog test techs don't know what to look for anyway. They thought it was a MPI conversion on the factory 258 4.2L.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
With a manual ECU swapped in after the fact, I don't see a CEL as being an issue. Again, after the swap is done and signed off. I don't see a smog tech needing to unbolt the ECU to see if its auto/manual I guess.

Then again, its been 7yrs since I left CA.

Ironically, I did 4.0L swap on my old 85 CJ7 out there. Never took it to the ref. It passed smog 2x while I owned it. IMO, most smog test techs don't know what to look for anyway. They thought it was a MPI conversion on the factory 258 4.2L.
Where can he get a manual ecu? Will a foreign ecu have all of the necessary smog and readiness monitors?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
But will it actually fail if the box is all of a sudden checked different than it had been the prior test? Guys swap 5 spds into older Toyota's all the time and I have never heard of it being an issue.

If you use an obd1 motor you don't have to worry about clearing the monitors, just have to keep the check engine light off, not sure if not seeing a trans would trigger it on an obd1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts