Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
obd1 auto to manual swap is no big deal. the trans is not interfaced with the ecu. did that on a ranger,
auto was in the bed of the truck and tech didnt care.

obd2 is finicky and the scanner will fail you long before you get it on the rollers. had that happen on a truck where i had the battery disconnect while i reassembled the truck after
a wreck. tech told me to drive it for 100 miles and come
back.

unless you are using have entire drivetrain for the same vehicle, emissions legal obd2 are a PITA. even then there are no guarantees. buddy pulled entire 3.4 drivetrain from a 4runner and was failed by the ref because not all the monitors were up and running.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I believe that for a regular smog check, you can have up to 2 monitors that haven't ran.

For a ref inspection, this is not the case. Everything needs to be ran and fully functioning.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
But will it actually fail if the box is all of a sudden checked different than it had been the prior test? Guys swap 5 spds into older Toyota's all the time and I have never heard of it being an issue.

If you use an obd1 motor you don't have to worry about clearing the monitors, just have to keep the check engine light off, not sure if not seeing a trans would trigger it on an obd1
CEL doesn't come on with OBD1 and a manual. I have no CEL with my swap now. The only codes I had for a while were the sub o2's.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
I know that the OBD-1 version can be done without triggering the CEL. I am basically doing it on my buggy(but with a Jeep AW4 tranny). So, it will be manually shifted. So, I will not have a CEL as its separate.

So, with that thinking, if you have the motor ref'd prior to the swap, it should be doable.

·
Mall Crawler
842 Posts
Just did a full manual auto swap in my 1994 BAR taged OBD2 3.4 5spd swap. And its time to smog check it again. The auto is not tied into the computer so the CEL is not a problem. But the BAR tag it marked manual. When I did the swap they didnt even look at my computer or ask if it was a manual or a auto computer. They didnt even care about the exhaust changed to the drivers side. I am hoping that the same place that smogged it last time wont have a problem this time with the manal auto thing.

·
Premium Member
29,402 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When the tech inputs the vin# of the vehicle into the smog machine computer, its going to come up with all the stuff the vehicle should have on it to be legal. All this will change when you go to the bar and get it ref'd to whatever the new engine trans combo is. They are litteraly check boxes which you input Pass, Fail, or Tampered. Does it have egr and is it functional, P, does it have the charcoal cannister and evap system, P, does it have a V8 with auto trans, T! If you have an OBDII vehicle, the computer allready does all of this for the smog tech. I believe they still have to do a visual inspection.

Any current ca smog techs out there? All my experience was 7yrs ago or more at this point. When in doubt talk to your local smog ref.

Kevo

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Just did a full manual auto swap in my 1994 BAR taged OBD2 3.4 5spd swap. And its time to smog check it again. The auto is not tied into the computer so the CEL is not a problem. But the BAR tag it marked manual. When I did the swap they didnt even look at my computer or ask if it was a manual or a auto computer. They didnt even care about the exhaust changed to the drivers side. I am hoping that the same place that smogged it last time wont have a problem this time with the manal auto thing.
Puzzling about the exhaust because when I was doing my 3rz swap the ref told me that the routing and distance had to be within 2-3" from the engine to the cat, after cat I could do whatever I wanted.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Puzzling about the exhaust because when I was doing my 3rz swap the ref told me that the routing and distance had to be within 2-3" from the engine to the cat, after cat I could do whatever I wanted.
Both my 3.4 swaps have been ran through the local ref. he said that to the last 02 sensor, NOTHING could be altered. I failed the first time because I simply cut the exhaust pipe and rotated the cat about 15 degrees an welded it'd back up so it wouldn't hit the frame. It moved the thickness of a sawsall blade. That's tampering according to him.

The guy in Fresno is tough, tough, tough. Everything has to be 100% stock in original form and absolutely untampered.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
You won't pass the ref w the r150f. You won't even make it past the preliminary visual, and you're potentially gambling on biannual smog checks. Really fucking stupid since all that really matters is what comes out the tailpipe:( (another thread...)

Having said that, the auto is awesome off-road. I was EXTREMELY apprehensive when building my 4door taco(stuck w auto for same reasons), but was hugely surprised at how nice it was on/off pavement.

My brother lives in tuplumne county(only smog @ change of ownership), so I would goto the ref in 2wd and get my sticker and then complete the swap after that point(as mentioned).

Funny how it's okay to go 2wd to 4wd, but not auto to manual. This state has some idiotic ideas on.....(another thread..)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also in Fresno and was wondering what issues I might run into with BAR. Six months ago I bought a 1990 4 Runner with a 3.slow, A340-H automatic with 4 wheel drive. I purchased a 1998 Lexus LS400 this morning and plan to swap motors. I saw on Youtube where a guy installed a 4.7 into his Toyota pickup and it was California legal. I'm hoping that when the time comes, I will pass with flying colors.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I am also in Fresno and was wondering what issues I might run into with BAR. Six months ago I bought a 1990 4 Runner with a 3.slow, A340-H automatic with 4 wheel drive. I purchased a 1998 Lexus LS400 this morning and plan to swap motors. I saw on Youtube where a guy installed a 4.7 into his Toyota pickup and it was California legal. I'm hoping that when the time comes, I will pass with flying colors.
I'm sure you can get it to work somehow. You'd have to use an auto trans to make it legit. The one issue I couldn't get past with a 1UZ swap was trying to get the cats to fit in their stock location to pass cali smog laws. Instead I'm in process of swapping a 4.3 chevy in. If you live in other states or don't need to pass smog laws the 1UZ seems like a great choice.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
What are you using for oil pan, pickup, oil filter housing and exhaust manifolds?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
As of May of last year the engine change guidelines changed and the new motor now has to be from the SAME class of vehicle. This means you can no longer put a car motor in a truck so there is no way to do a smog legal 1UZ swap..and per my local smog ref who even checked with Sacramento to confirm, they consider a 4 runner to be a truck. If you want a smog legal UZ it will need to be a 2UZ.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts