Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so short story long 82 jeep has a transplanted 350 tbi ive been running for several years. i intentionally made it ca smog compliant so i can use it on the roads with no hassle. fast foward to now, been to 4 different smog shops in town and not one of them will bother with it... they look at it like they never saw a v8 in a jeep before and say they cant smog it, take it to a different shop? what am i missing? it has the referee tag on the fire wall, and current registration showing it is legal... i made an appointment to take it back to the ref, am i going to have to do this every time now?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you have the new tag from the Ref already on it. Then I would report every shop that turned you away to the BBB and the State.

That is pure BS and amounts to the smog shop not knowing the law.

They don't want to try and smog it because they believe it will come back to them if something is wrong.

Which is incorrect. If the ref has tagged it and changed it in the system. Then there is no liability to them.

Report the bastards.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep...after all the horseshit you (and I on mine) had to do to comply with the laws, there should be no reason that a shop should turn it away. Next April will be the first time I have to do mine since the conversion and I'm curious to see how it goes. I'd let the BAR know what your issues are and see what they recommend. That or keep looking around. You might try a local club and see if anyone knows of a good shop who is familiar with legal conversions.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You need to find a better smog shop. When you go to the ref to get it smogged, ask him if he knows any good local area smog shops. Most likely he can point you in the right direction. Most shops won't want to look at it, but I'm guessing there are a few small mom and pop places that would have no problem with it.

Kevo

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Sad to say, but I think you're going to see more and more of this as time goes on. Just because everything was fine in the past doesn't mean it will continue to be in the future. They keep changing the smog laws and it seems it won't be long before the only things that can pass smog are anything less than 10 yrs old and absolutely bone stock.
Just my opinion mind you.

I've even heard of some aftermarket components that at one point were able to get CARB certified, and were so for a string of years, but suddenly, with no design changes in the part, CARB no longer approves of them.

My tinfoil is probably on too tight, but my suspicion is it's probably the auto mfgs. lobbying the gooberment to make goofy laws so things stay in their favor.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My tinfoil is probably on too tight, but my suspicion is it's probably the auto mfgs. lobbying the gooberment to make goofy laws so things stay in their favor.
I'm not seeing that one. The more performance and aftermarket parts there are for a given model of car or make, the more popular that model or make is and the more it sells. Look at new JKs, one of the reasons they are becoming so common out there is the availability of aftermarket parts. There is an easy, bolt on solution to just about any off road issue on a JK. It helps to market and sell the vehicles.

I don't doubt you'll see more shops not want to deal with custom engine swaps though. Its easier to make money on the common everyday vehicles, but I'm sure there will still be those shops that like the challenge.

BTW, if you don't like the smog laws, make it known to your political reps in your area. The politicians gave the CARB its power and they can take it away too. Most everyone seems to have forgotten about that!

Kevo

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You think that's bad try buying a riding mower! Don't get me wrong I'm a big John Deere fan I just can't afford one right now and they are about the only ones CARB approved!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Up here in Humboldt you smog it once and your done as long as you own it, only having to re smog if it's sold. Wonder if there's a way you could register it up here and avoid that whole mess. If I had to smog my rigs annually or bi annually I'd go nuts.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Up here in Humboldt you smog it once and your done as long as you own it, only having to re smog if it's sold. Wonder if there's a way you could register it up here and avoid that whole mess. If I had to smog my rigs annually or bi annually I'd go nuts.
rent a storefront, sell PO boxes, profit!

·
Registered
32 Posts
For what its worth, I just finished my GM engine swap in California. The Ventura referee was awesome. It literally took only 15 minutes for the inspection, then a run on the dyno. It passed with flying colors. I believe the key to success is to communicate directly with the referee before you start. find out exactly what he is going to want to see. I will let you know how the first smog check goes though. I don't anticipate any issue so long as the sticker is in place and everything is still as certified and working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts