Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't run it but I saw it on two zuks. It is the blue one with like 6 tierods ends. How does it hold up?? It looks like crap to me but Im just curious. The color it self would turn me away.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
I've had mine for about 8 years or so, and it has worked just fine.

The only problem so far, (and it's not *really* a problem) is that the poly bushings on the idler arm bracket do wear after a few years, and the steering can feel a bit sloppy until you remove a cotter pin, tighten the castle nut and replace said cotter pin with a new one.

I have tightened mine three times in the 8 years of use.

It's called Black paint. Comes in spray cans. Is really cheap. Is really easy to apply.:p

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been running one for about 5 years,no problems.Only
maintenance I've done is retorqing the rod ends once.I
grafted in the tierod adjuster from the OEM steering but
this is unnecessary since once the tierod length was set
I never had to readjust it.I run 32 inch tires and am spring
under.
I felt that the idler arm that the Calmini crossover uses is
a good feature since it helps distibute steering loads to
both frame rails.

·
Registered
343 Posts
horse_with_no_name said:
Steering loads to both frame rails?, a sammy frame is more heavy dury than a j**p frame and you don't see them running this type of crap!
After being around built-up Samurais for a while I'm seeing that
frame strength is not an issue.Kind of surprising considering
they're only 3/32" thick. A lot of Jeeps run a brace from the
steering box over to the opposite frame rail,so yes it was a
problem for them.
The Calmini system was the first to hit the market so thats
what I got and it works for me.It sure as hell beats the "Z"
link when it comes to bump steer.There's a lot more options
on the market now,so buy/build whatever you think is proper.

·
Registered
343 Posts
horse_with_no_name said:
ooops! almost forgot Toys don't run this type of crap either!
Looks like I made a mistake replying to your initial post,thought
you wanted info.Now I see you've already made your mind up on the issue and just wanted to do a rant.:mad:

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
horse_with_no_name said:
yup bump steer just about broke my hand and that was puttin' around in my friends yard(his vehicle ), guess I just like to use my hands and fingers!

:eek: my 8-ish years and oh, say conservatively 80,000 km's of use and I have never noticed any evil bump steer you speak of.

Never affected mine, sorry.:confused:

I think there is always room for variables, though. In the end, your advice may be quite sound on alternative methods IE a *good* quality over knuckle hi-steer system instead of the Calmini set up, (in relation to the wild mods people on this board do to their rigs)

My thoughts on this are due to the inherent contraints placed upon the "as recieved, without doing any re-engineering" configuration of the idler arm and it's linkages. It works great on stock sammies, great on lifted spring under Sammies, and great on spoa sammies *up to a certain lift height* I guess.

It's quite obvious that going past a point in lift height, (or perhaps wheelbase lengthening as well?) will create angles in the linkages that go out of their design parameters.

I have about 7" of total lift on mine and it works pretty flawless.

possible your friend's had mis-matched components or odd ball lift?

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I have this set-up on my zuk. The bitch about the all right hand threads is you can't fine tune the toe because of how the drag link connects to the tie-rod. My other issue is how they powder coat them. The powder coat is in the tapered holes. I've had to tighten my ends after each trip so far. I need to take it apart and scrape that crap out of there. On the up-side, there is no bump-steer:D :D
Travis..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He he I guess you could paint it, are people that lazy to keep it blue :flipoff2: It does seem to be better than a Z-link. I can see the points to it. The adjustments thoght. If is wasn't a daily driver I guess it wouldn't be an issue. For those that do run it what size tires are you runnin. RudeZuk said that it was crap for people with over 31"ers

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My first set-up was Calmini's 5" combo with this steering. I loved it, no just the steering not the 5" combo ( hated that lift). Ran it for two + years. No bump steer at all and worked great with 31" tires. The part about the all right hand threads sucked along with not using greasable rod ends also bites. Even worked with 35" tires well. Then I sold the set-up Calmini's complete with the steering and went SPOA and Z-link ( bad choice in steering ). Next was a Breeze cross over set-up ( this is by far the best for Zuk axles ). Now I'm on Toyota axles and running cross over steering again. Man you can break a lot of Sami axles with 35" tires on the rocks.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
$272.00 + shipping then. I"d call Tim at Northcoast to pin down the price now.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
it suxs i even put power steering on with it.when i went to a straight cross over it was much easier to turn the 33s.i had it for about 2 years and i gave it away just the other day :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
godzuki said:
it suxs i even put power steering on with it.when i went to a straight cross over it was much easier to turn the 33s.i had it for about 2 years and i gave it away just the other day :flipoff2:
I agree, the Calmini design sucks (I ran it with 32's). Look at the mechanical advantage it gives your tires by mounting the second drag link so much lower than the first one.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I have stock manual box and 33s. It is hard to turn, but anything with a front locker and no p/s would be. It isn't bad on the street just driving though.
Travis..

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Azrckcrawler said:

I agree, the Calmini design sucks (I ran it with 32's). Look at the mechanical advantage it gives your tires by mounting the second drag link so much lower than the first one.

Yopu know you would still be running it if it did'nt get stolen after the rubicon :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

How every thing coming with the re re re build up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts