Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what happens if i move my cam gear/sprocket 1 or 2 teeth to line the keyway to the top?

I've been in the process of putting a new cylinder head on and when the timing mark is at TDC (0) the cam gear is at 11 o clock instead of 12 o clock, so I was thinking of moving the gear over a tooth or two to get it to 12 o clock...

lastly, my emissions stuff is mostly gone right now as I am still registered in Michigan...my question is the EGR system, can I just put a block off plate on the head and intake?? if i just decide to put the EGR back on do I need to plug the little vacuum hose outlet that is held on by a single philips head screw??

Thanks...

brett

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what i thought 2stroke, so i'm wondering if my timing has been off since day 1...the cam dot is at 11 oclock, not 12 when my timing mark is at TDC (0)...

so IF I'm pointing at 0 on the crank pulley, should I move the cam sprocket so the dot is straight up at 12 o clock even if it means moving the cam sprocket a couple of teeth over????

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You timing chain should have two shiny links. One lines up with the mark on the crank gear the other the mark on the cam gear. Thats how mine lined up. It does sound like yours is off though, the mark on your cam gear should be at about 12 o'clock at TDC.:confused:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
just bolt the egr back on and don't hook the vacume line upto it. and if your timing was off one tooth it would definatly not run as well as it did, but you never know. when i put it together i had the timing cover off and it lined up right at the bottom, you cant change the chain position on the bottom sproket with the timing cover on( i think) i have seen the out side of the pully move position because the rubber has splipped. this could explane the crank pully being in the wrong position. also you can look inside the head and put a dail indicator on top of the piston to read true tdc and see what the mark is located at on the cam gear. i hope this helps,

Cliff

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually, if you look at an 85-95 timing gear, the dot is about a half a tooth off or so from the keyway for the cam. (The dot is at 11:00 when the keyway for the cam is @ 12:00)

Check your timing marks on the gear vs the bringht links on the chain and trust them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted this after doing a search, and only one other thread mentioned the fact that when lined up properly, the cam gear should be at 11 or clock...it did run excellect so I'm going to leave it...

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it :cool:

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
If you have not owne this truck since day one I would ignore the shiny link comments. There's no telling who was in the engine before you and possibly move the chain. Best bet is to move the cam gear 1 tooth. It should be at 12.

·
Registered
609 Posts
if you were just putting the head on and not taking the timing gear off then you should make sure that the woodruff key didn't get damaged on the crank. I have seen it happen from time to time ( but I work on these things every day) That means that the crank pully might have lost it's location on the crank and the timing marks are lying to you. Taco 3.4s do this all the time when idiots try to do their own timing belts. I doubt this happened to you but it's a consideration if you get it all back together and it runs like crap.;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Chewbacca said:
I posted this after doing a search, and only one other thread mentioned the fact that when lined up properly, the cam gear should be at 11 or clock...it did run excellect so I'm going to leave it...

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it :cool:
If it ran excellent when you took it apart I would put it back together the same way. The only time the bright link means anything is if you are sure the other one is lined up right on the crank...sounds like yours isn't. Mine was when I did the chain 2+ yrs ago...but I rolled hard and the bolt holding the cam sproket sheared at the cam. Lucky for me none of the valves were open at that moment. When I put it back together the bright link was off by 5 or 6 teeth, so I just set it at TDC and lined the cam sprocket line up and put the chain back on. It's running great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts