Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever use a Camaro t-5 bellhousing to adapt a T18 to a Chevy 350? I know the Jeep t-5 bh can be redrilled, but I'm not 100 percent on the Camaro bh.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used a Mustang T-5 bell to adapt a T-18 to my 2.3L. They aren't even close to the same. I had to modify the bell and the bearing retainer to make it work. Here's a writeup on what I did. I would imagine you could do the same thing with a camaro bell, but I don't think it would be any easier than using a standard GM bell as detailed here.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i mated a ford np435 to a 350, same bolt pattern i believe. i didnt use a camara bell housing, but i think it was a full size truck bell housing. i believe i had to use a 1986 full size truck bell housing because i wanted to use an external slave cylinder, and the truck had the bigger 11" clutch. instead of drilling into the bellhousing, i slightly enlarged the holes in the ears of the tranny and the bolt holes lined up so i could use the existing bellhousing holes. i got three of the four holes to line up, and the last one i just made a bracket that allowed me to use on of the other bolts to help secure it. worked great and was simple. if you want to see pics, go to www.robwehrs.com then click on the pictures link, then the cars link.

·
Registered
753 Posts
151 Bellhousing

I used a jeep 151 ironduke bellhousing... to mate my 350 tbi to my jeep t18....

The 151 (gm engine) shares the same bolt pattern as the SBC... the upper two bolts for the t18 work fine, I had to drill the bellhousing for the bottom two....

Used a camaro 10.5 flywheel, Mustang 5.0 clutch disk, camaro pressure plate, jeep throwout bearing and release arm...
Novak pilot bushing....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've tried ot reply to this several timees, damn server issues...anyway, be careful with the late model Camaro/Firebird T-5 bellhousings, the trans-side bolt pattern is "clocked" a little different than a standard setup, still the same pattern, but your trans will sit at an angle.

·
Registered
891 Posts

Is this 151 housing you speak of the bell they used to hook up the gm 4 bangers to sr4 and such, if so I got one for ya..it has been modified a tad, the guy who had it before me took a grinder to the bottom part of the bell to clear room for a GM starter for use with a SBC...where he did a sloppy job and the housing as a minute crack in it where he ground, it does not go all the way through but you would want to lay a bead over it before you use it..let me know. I have seen them go HIGH dollor on e-bay but this one has been modified so we can make a deal if you are interested.

·
Registered
753 Posts
151 Bellhousing

I found mine on http://car-part.com/ for $75

There's not alot of info on the net about doing this "without" a high dollar adapter.
I did read somewhere that a Mini-starter would be required using this set-up...
I figured I would try a $35 normal starter first and if it didn't work I would buy a $100 plus mini starter... I've had no problems with the normal starter... YMMV

If you need/want more info I did post a long write-up and posted it on here.. perhaps you could search for it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.