Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMFG I just spent 30 minutes typing my post and something got effed up.

Anyways, here we go again.

I bought my wife a Chevrolet 2008 1500, 2wd, 5.3L Texas Ed. Crew Cab about a month ago since we now have a baby and needed more room. It also doubles as my tow rig when we do get to go wheeling.

I know I'll get some flaming for the 1500 and 2wd but the 3/4 ton and 4x4 was just out of the budget for the next few years (finishing up school) and we got a great deal on this truck which is a perfect DD for my wife.

Anyways, when we do get to go camping/wheeling (a few times a year) we are usually tenting it and end up hot, cold, wet or a combination of those. I would love to have a camper/hauler trailer and probably will eventually but can't see making it work with a 1/2 ton.

Then I came across 4 wheel campers. I thought I had found a solution. Low profile, well built and most of all they weight less than 1k. The problem is the $10,000 base price!!?!?!!?! Oh yeah if you want a fridge that will be $1000 extra, table, lights, stove, fooseball table, all extras and not cheap. I realize they look like nice campers but FU.

I guess I am looking for options for my problem. I would like a place to sleep at least 2-3 with AC/Heat, storage, toilet, shower?, that doesn't cost eleventy billion dollars.

To be thorough here is what I am hauling. TJ/buggy that I assume weights 4k+ on a 16' lowboy. It pulls very well for a 1/2 ton but I might be looking at shorter, lighter trailers to buy or build.

I know I'll take some flaming for buying a 1/2 ton but I just cant swing the diesel right now. I was thinking about buying a tall camper shell and building on to it to make it more like a cab over but still removable. I wish I could find a camper shell with a pop up top. Anyone got any suggestions? I would use this for wheeling trips but also plan on using it by itself for regular camping trips when my son gets a little older so I want it to be comfortable.

Sorry for the super post, I just wanted to get all my info in the OP. Thanks and happy wheeling.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Coming from someone that tows and overloads a half ton all the time.

You are asking WAY too much of your truck to slap ANY camper in the bed, plus gear, plus a 6-7,000lb trailer.

If you were smart about it, you would have gotten a 3/4-1 ton GAS truck on the dying used truck market that was 8-10 years old for a fraction of what you paid for an 08'.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Coming from someone that tows and overloads a half ton all the time.

You are asking WAY too much of your truck to slap ANY camper in the bed, plus gear, plus a 6-7,000lb trailer.

If you were smart about it, you would have gotten a 3/4-1 ton GAS truck on the dying used truck market that was 8-10 years old for a fraction of what you paid for an 08'.

Like I mentioned, milage, reliability, and drivabliltiy were the main concerns when we bought this truck, which is my wifes DD. I wanted a warranty, onstar (for her and the new baby) and plenty of room and this truck got us all that and for 27% off sticker. I realize that it isnt feasible to haul a 2,000lbs cabover and 7000lbs trailer but I am just looking at camping options.

Thanks for the help.

You didn't say what your budget was? So I'd say buy a smaller/lighter trailer, slap a topper/cap on the back and hang an AC unit out the window...
Sorry, the budget is I have no money. Seriously though, I am just looking for options on camping right now but the $10,000 price on most campers just seems high. I have seriously thought about slapping a campershell with a AC unit on top but I would really like a few more amenities. Perhaps I am asking to much, I just wanted to explore possibilities.

I really like the flippac truck top but it still seems crazy to spend $4000 on a campershell with a tent glued to it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
sell your trailer, that small enclosed trailer next to your new truck and buy one 16-18 foot enclosed trailer. Put AC on it with a heat strip and a porta crapper in the corner.

Just a thought.....

In the same boat, excursion took a shit at the worst possible time for me. Cheaper to grab a new truck and live with the lower ratings than to keep fixing the old one. I have a 1500 2wd dodge now... Should tow the heep just fine. Not sure about much more than that though.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sell your trailer, that small enclosed trailer next to your new truck and buy one 16-18 foot enclosed trailer. Put AC on it with a heat strip and a porta crapper in the corner.
The trailer in the pic isn't mine it belongs to the painters working on my parents house, lol.

Good idea though.:)

Sorry to hear about your rig.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Sorry, the budget is I have no money.
Thanks.
Everybody says they have no money then shows up in a new pickup and a freshly bobed TJ....cry me a river:crybaby2:

OK...just had to fawk with ya Ty....rig looks good.

Back to the problem, you could always buy Fritz pop-up:D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everybody says they have no money then shows up in a new pickup and a freshly bobed TJ....cry me a river:crybaby2:

OK...just had to fawk with ya Ty....rig looks good.

Back to the problem, you could always buy Fritz pop-up:D
Fritz's pop up is probably covered in vomit and urine.....in fact I know it's been urinated in:barf:. LOL

Thanks for the complitments, do you remember what your Packrat trailer weighed without your rig? I can't find one anywhere but thought a similar rig with a popup camper might be doable.

God I can't wait until I am done with school and can built my own damn trailer like I want. What size is your TV again, I need a bigger one.:D

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Fritz's pop up is probably covered in vomit and urine.....in fact I know it's been urinated in:barf:. LOL

Thanks for the complitments, do you remember what your Packrat trailer weighed without your rig? I can't find one anywhere but thought a similar rig with a popup camper might be doable.

God I can't wait until I am done with school and can built my own damn trailer like I want. What size is your TV again, I need a bigger one.:D
I think that Pak-Rat weighed about 3500lbs and had a tounge weight of 1000lbs when empty. Mine was for sale here in town a few months ago...think he wanted 5 grand.

Had to go 27inch so the HD satellite would look good...just had to do it:p

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that Pak-Rat weighed about 3500lbs and had a tounge weight of 1000lbs when empty. Mine was for sale here in town a few months ago...think he wanted 5 grand.

Had to go 27inch so the HD satellite would look good...just had to do it:p
That's not bad. The only thing about the Packrat was that you were stuck with the whole damn thing. I would like to be able to go camping at the beach or wherever without worrying about having an extra 14 feet of trailer I don't need. I guess you can't have everything when your on a budget.

I just thought with as well as the truck towed the jeep on a 16' trailer I could buy/build a lighter smaller trailer and get away with an extra 1k-1,500lbs worth of camper in the bed. Maybe it isn't doable.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
I guess I am looking for options for my problem. I would like a place to sleep at least 2-3 with AC/Heat, storage, toilet, shower?, that doesn't cost eleventy billion dollars.

Stay in a hotel. A camper loaded with all that crap and hauling 6000+ pounds will put you high into the 3/4 ton range, most likely in the 1 ton dually range of trucks. A 16-20' Toy hauler type trailer is going to be approaching the max towing capacity of your truck and cost a boatload of money. Unfortunately there is no cheap answer to your problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would like a place to sleep at least 2-3 with AC/Heat, storage, toilet, shower?, that doesn't cost eleventy billion dollars.
It's not the money. It's the weight.

Do you have any idea how much water you have to carry to use a toilet and a shower for your family?

Air conditioning is 110v only. You would also need a generator.

Even lighter weight pop-up style campers weigh 2000 lbs when they are loaded with A/C, toilets, showers, etc.

Maybe if you read it enough times you will understand.

You are asking WAY to much of your 1500 to load a camper that allows you to sleep, eat, shower, use the restrooom, take all your gear and pull a 6-7,000 lb trailer.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's not the money. It's the weight.

Do you have any idea how much water you have to carry to use a toilet and a shower for your family?

Air conditioning is 110v only. You would also need a generator.

Even lighter weight pop-up style campers weigh 2000 lbs when they are loaded with A/C, toilets, showers, etc.

Maybe if you read it enough times you will understand.

You are asking WAY to much of your 1500 to load a camper that allows you to sleep, eat, shower, use the restrooom, take all your gear and pull a 6-7,000 lb trailer.

Thanks for your input.

The shower was optional and could be replaced with an external pop-up type. Most of the places I wheel have water/power hookups with a few exceptions and the places I like to camp I would not be towing the jeep thus freeing up capacity. A self contained porta potty type toilet is all that is needed, would weigh about 20 lbs and take no water. It is more for the wife than me.

Sorry no snappy comebacks, I know this is a flameable subject.

Does anyone know of a product like this that isn't custom made and cost $4000? http://www.flippac.com/

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check these out: Capri Campers

That one weighs 500 lbs and is about $2k. I don't think it will fit in your short bed though...
Not bad, thanks for the link. It does look like it's designed for a long bed. Guess with the weight problem I should be looking at truck tents instead, I just wish someone made a bigger one.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
A dude in the expedition forum was talking about a camper shell that pops up and I think has a cot up there? It is called a Wildernest. I remember a while back finding a site that dealt with these from an enthusiast standpoint (they are out of business). There was a classified section and they seemed reasonable for nice used ones.
Travis..
Forgot to add, OnStar brings the :rainbow:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A dude in the expedition forum was talking about a camper shell that pops up and I think has a cot up there? It is called a Wildernest. I remember a while back finding a site that dealt with these from an enthusiast standpoint (they are out of business). There was a classified section and they seemed reasonable for nice used ones.
Travis..
Forgot to add, OnStar brings the :rainbow:

Found the website, looks like a cool product and something that would work great. Why are products like this always discontinued? I may search around for a used one but seems like they are few and far between. Thanks for the info.

BTW whats your deal with OnStar? I like the idea of my wife having directions, emergency backup, phone service and diagnostics where ever she is at without me.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts