Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright- all along now, I've been planning to do a Holley 4150 600cfm carb (not the new fancy Truck Avenger) on an Edelbrock dual plane manifold for the 383 smallblock in the 45... then yesterday I went wheeling with a guy that suggested that maybe that wouldn't meet my expectation for off-camber situations. I already own the carb, manifold, distributor, ignition module, fuel pump, etc for this set-up, but am now wondering whether I should do a fuel injection set-up. Here's my engine combo- as it stands now...

383 small block, internal balance with 6" rods, vortec heads, 9.7:1 compression. All going into a 64 short bed 45. SM465, 203/205 doubler.

If there is a way to build the Holley to work reliably- that would be great, what mods need to be done, by whom? If I should get rid of the carb set up- what FI should I do? stock GM throttle body, aftermarket TBI or port injection? I am a little limited in aftermarket choices because of the vortec heads.

Any opinions? Thanks, Luke

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm running an Edelbrock carb with the off road jet kit and a fuel regulator set to 2lbs. It works great for just about every situation. I had some problem on some extreme stuff. But for the most part, I am happy with it. Bought it used for $150.

HTH,

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I am running a older holly carb with the vaccum secondaries on my wortec 350 and it works great. I had a edelbrock before this and I could not keep it running. I had heard that you dont want to run a holly offroad, but I have not been able to make mine quit on an incline since I put it on. I had it at the hammers and it ran like a top.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes me feel better. I think I'll give the Holley a try and cross the next bridge when we get there. Thanks for the advice, Luke

·
Registered
386 Posts
You can make a Holly work but it will never be as good as a Q-jet in off camber situations. I have a Q-jet on my 351w and I love it. You will need to buy an adaptor and mount it upside down but it is an easy swap.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Went through two holleys and a carter before finally using a quadrajet. The quadrajet is the 2nd best thing to fuel injection. I'll never use or recommend a holly or carter for offroad.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i run a edlecrap thats been modded and it works very well for a carb...

for a holley you can do a few things to help out.

-lower the float as much as you can without the motor starving.

-get jet extensions

-maybe float bowl extensions
ummmmmmmm

get fuel injection :)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
megolfer said:
I am running a older holly carb with the vaccum secondaries on my wortec 350 and it works great. I had a edelbrock before this and I could not keep it running. I had heard that you dont want to run a holly offroad, but I have not been able to make mine quit on an incline since I put it on. I had it at the hammers and it ran like a top.

:confused: not to bag on you but i think theres a little mis-information here. your cruiser didnt look like it was doing too well at the hammers and you had to abort at the begining of aftershock on saturdays run. granted you broke the transfer but dont use a mis-leading example to someone that could cause that person trouble on the trail later. (thats poor cruiser karma.)
my personal experiance is with q-jets. ive taken off three holley carbs personally and replaced them with stock qjets on trail rigs with few problems if any. my 2f in my fj40 runs a 2-bbl "q-jet) and i HAVE run SOME of the trails at johnsen valley and it WILL run on its side. my 440 powered 1/2 ton dodge pu has had a q-jet on it since 1988 and it has stood on both bumpers and idles. my wifes 87 ramcharger has a factory q-jet and she wheels it and it too runs perfect with no dieing problems.
my personal opinion is to stay away from the holley. i think the q-jet is the BETTER choice. not that a holley couldnt be made to perform OK, but that the q-jet would be better overall. if money or skill isnt the issue then go FI... throttle body is the easiest most reliable to adapt but your personal preferance will dictate what you go with..

good luck :beer:

chris :cool2:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I vote for fuel injection because you'll get better mileage and won't have to mess with the jets in different elevation and WILL work BETTER than a carb.

Run a factory unit if possible.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It actually was not the engine that was having problems. The engine was running fine. The entire day before I was climbing up hills and running trails with my brother and father who were also on aftershock. You were not with me so you dont know what I was doing. I did have to bail saturday because of a broken front nose cone. I simply didnt have the skid plates and hit the transfer on rocks. The engine did not quit because of loading up once. So before you bost please know the facts.

Back to the subject. I have had the cruiser on steep inclines with the holly carb and its worked great. Everyone swears by the quad, but if you have the carb try and and see if you can get it to work.

DHONDAGOD said:
:confused: not to bag on you but i think theres a little mis-information here. your cruiser didnt look like it was doing too well at the hammers and you had to abort at the begining of aftershock on saturdays run. granted you broke the transfer but dont use a mis-leading example to someone that could cause that person trouble on the trail later. (thats poor cruiser karma.)
my personal experiance is with q-jets. ive taken off three holley carbs personally and replaced them with stock qjets on trail rigs with few problems if any. my 2f in my fj40 runs a 2-bbl "q-jet) and i HAVE run SOME of the trails at johnsen valley and it WILL run on its side. my 440 powered 1/2 ton dodge pu has had a q-jet on it since 1988 and it has stood on both bumpers and idles. my wifes 87 ramcharger has a factory q-jet and she wheels it and it too runs perfect with no dieing problems.
my personal opinion is to stay away from the holley. i think the q-jet is the BETTER choice. not that a holley couldnt be made to perform OK, but that the q-jet would be better overall. if money or skill isnt the issue then go FI... throttle body is the easiest most reliable to adapt but your personal preferance will dictate what you go with..

good luck :beer:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
DHONDAGOD said:

What does breaking a transfer case have to do with a carb? I built that rig and sold it to the boy and it had made it through the con many of times. He's not giving mis-information on how it works. Maybe you don't like Holley's because you lack the mechanical skill and know-how to tune one. Maybe you shouldn't give misinformation because I didn't see your FJ-40 with a 2bbl "q-jet" make it through Aftershock at the Toy Jamboree on that same Saturday run. :shaking:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
You bozos sure like to bitch a lot..

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Hottrod81 said:
What does breaking a transfer case have to do with a carb?
if he didnt have to work it so hard to make it GO it wouldnt have broken the nosecone on his transfer banging it on rocks..
Hottrod81 said:
I built that rig and sold it to the boy and it had made it through the con many of times. He's not giving mis-information on how it works.
teach him how to drive it then

Hottrod81 said:
Maybe you don't like Holley's because you lack the mechanical skill and know-how to tune one.
yep, ya got me... no mechanical ability here... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hottrod81 said:
Maybe you shouldn't give misinformation because I didn't see your FJ-40 with a 2bbl "q-jet" make it through Aftershock at the Toy Jamboree on that same Saturday run. :shaking:
yep my rig is a pos... wont hardly pull itself over the little parking stop thingy's in the mall parking lot. ask any of the tinbenders on that run what a pile my rig is. they'll tell ya.. getting krusty's truck back out with a broken rear axle HOUSEING (two piece model :eek: ) seemed more important than finishing the run.

did megolfer pm you to come over here and chime in or did he call you? im just wondering because youve never posted here in this forum untill now. looks like you spend most of your time in chit-chat....

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
DHONDAGOD said:
yep my rig is a pos... wont hardly pull itself over the little parking stop thingy's in the mall parking lot. ask any of the tinbenders on that run what a pile my rig is. they'll tell ya.. getting krusty's truck back out with a broken rear axle HOUSEING (two piece model :eek: ) seemed more important than finishing the run.

Suuuurrrreeeee.... using the excuse of "helping someone" when you were just skeered...

:flipoff2:

;)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
DHONDAGOD said:
yep my rig is a pos... wont hardly pull itself over the little parking stop thingy's in the mall parking lot.

:

I wasn't calling your rig a POS. For all I know, it is very capable just like you don't know how the other rigs carb works. What you were saying has nothing to do with a carburetor. This thread has gotten off topic, so for the guy asking the question, I wouldn't be afraid to use a Holley if it is a spreadbore with vacuum secondaries. With a double pumper or mechanical secondaries, I think that you may run the risk of loading the engine up by dumping too much fuel too quickly. My $.02

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
yeah... propane is where it is at ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts