Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have hydraulic roller cam and lifters. Can I run solid roller lifters on this without changing the cam? Or is there something different between the grinds?

Would I see any benifit to doing this?

This is a small block question.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
im not sure for sure..but im pretty sure its hydro-hydro, solid=solid cant use hydros on a solid can and cant use solids on a hydro cam... im not sure whats different though.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
You will destroy a hyd cam quick almost as quick as running it without oil running solid lifters.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Don't listen to those guys, it's done all the time. The trick thing is to use the rollers on the intake side and the regular lifters on the intake---or is it the other way around?

:shaking:

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I am not sure as a matter of fact....

but the Op asked if solid rollers could be run on a hyr. roller cam....roller for roller. It seems all the replies were for flat tappet to roller mix/match<<<<that I know for sure is a "No".

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I was trying to emphasize only to use the manufacturers intended lifter for the appropriate camshaft. Whether it be hyd to roller or vise versa.
The profiles and materials are different.
Call Crane or Comp and Im sure they will tell you not to mix and match between solid or hyd roller or flat tappet.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
not to mix and match between solid or hyd roller or flat tappet.
Well, we all know that part of the equation.....not mixing flat tap lifters with roller cams but what about roller solids and hyd roller lifters on an opposing roller cam?

EDIT: I'm sure I know the answer but I am not dredging it up at the moment...time to do some research

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Well, we all know that part of the equation.....not mixing flat tap lifters with roller cams but what about roller solids and hyd roller lifters on an opposing roller cam?

EDIT: I'm sure I know the answer but I am not dredging it up at the moment...time to do some research

I would think that the grinds would be different

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I tend to think so too......but they are both roller. One being hrd. and the other solid.....is it just decreased maintainance.....periodic valve adjustments and less noise? I don't know for sure, I am open to hearing the correct answer and reason as well. off to research this now.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts