Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fried my t-case and now I'm buying a new one. My old case was the pre96 np249. The one I'm buying is a 231 HD w/ 6 planetaries etc. The new case has the wrong length input shaft so I need to swap them.

For some reason I remember people telling me that when I swap the input shafts, I have to swap the planetaries as well. Now, I've never worked on a t-case before and I just want to make sure that if I spend the extra $$$ to get the 6 planetaries I will not have to swap them out in order to get the case to bolt up to my tranny.

So, can I just swap the input shafts and if so how involved is this?

Thanks

Cody

·
Registered
196 Posts
should be able to. I've seen 249/231 input shafts swaped before. Dunno about the whole planetary gear thing an input shaft is like 30 bucks though or something. It's more of a PITA then it is involved. I think you should e-mail cbassett, he knows his shit when it comes to t-cases. He helped me out a TON and I'm sure he'd be willing to give you instructions there's also a website I think that has this process.
-Nate

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Just a word of caution. Some of the newer np231's have a differnet front input bearing. At some point they switched from a single roller bearing to a double roller brearing. Apperently the input shafts are specific to the type of bearing your case. Sorry, but I don'r have any specifics when the change took place.

·
Registered
825 Posts
some where in there they also switched the gear pitch of the planetary gears so be carefull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts