Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a after Christmas snow run and was wondering if ice can cut a tire?

I was driving down a trail today with 4 to 6" of water running under 1 1/2"+- of ice. As I crawled over the ice I would break through, shooting ice wedges
8x16"(?) in size out to the sides and ahead of me. I know it can rip a brake line out, but has anybody had a tire cut? I would guess it could.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't. I've been in similar ice a few times and never had a problem. It's not really something I'd worry about. Not airing down would probably increase the risk.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Fuck yes it can, I watched a land cruiser with brand new 39 iroks try to drive on a 2' deep pond with about 6" of ice. He cut 2 valve stems and 1 side wall trying to get out after he broke through.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've never seen ice fuck up a tire, and we get lots of it here, even with extremely cut/siped tires, that rocks make hamburger of. I'm sure excessive wheel spin could do damage no matter what it is.

Nothing worse than busting through though..... snapped many winch lines in those situations.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I've never seen ice fuck up a tire, and we get lots of it here, even with extremely cut/siped tires, that rocks make hamburger of. I'm sure excessive wheel spin could do damage no matter what it is.

Nothing worse than busting through though..... snapped many winch lines in those situations.
I guess to be fair, I didn't literally watch the ice cut the tire. We came up when he first got stuck, tried to help. Then came back when they were leaving for town with the messed up tires in another truck.

·
Canuckastani
1,703 Posts
Fuck yes it can, I watched a land cruiser with brand new 39 iroks try to drive on a 2' deep pond with about 6" of ice. He cut 2 valve stems and 1 side wall trying to get out after he broke through.
Those are iroks, you could drive on a cloud of titties and still get a side wall puncture. :laughing:

I have however seen a 28" tire on a Rzr slice a sidewall screwing around on icy banks of a river.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Those are iroks, you could drive on a cloud of titties and still get a side wall puncture. :laughing:

I have however seen a 28" tire on a Rzr slice a sidewall screwing around on icy banks of a river.
Knock on wood but the 7k lbs I'm throwing at my Iroks hasnt phased them yet..... No chunking even after cutting the shit out of them. Pulled out my share of side-by-sides though.... those rzr'r guys on tracks sure change their attitude when they need a tug... Sticky snow is where aired down tires shine though (vs tracks), and where breaking through to ice is more frequent

·
Canuckastani
1,703 Posts
Knock on wood but the 7k lbs I'm throwing at my Iroks hasnt phased them yet..... No chunking even after cutting the shit out of them. Pulled out my share of side-by-sides though.... those rzr'r guys on tracks sure change their attitude when they need a tug... Sticky snow is where aired down tires shine though (vs tracks), and where breaking through to ice is more frequent
I haven't been so lucky, less than a 1000kms on mine and I put a sidewall gash in 2 of them first trip out wheeling. Partially my fault for not airing down.:homer:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't been so lucky, less than a 1000kms on mine and I put a sidewall gash in 2 of them first trip out wheeling. Partially my fault for not airing down.:homer:
I've been running 10psi for hwy and start off.... then airing down from there. They arent even half the tire at 15psi. Only 5-10 miles of pavement, but the hwy is usually wet with slush or covered with ice.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
seen ice do this a while ago

he plopped his front end in a small ice hole and lost front wheel drive

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the 3rd. time out on new 39,5 Irok radials load range C running 5 psi. With as loud as the ice was cracking and having to drop down to 2nd. gear and haven't seen any body all day, got me thinkin' hum those Bias ply have 4 ply side wall.
Total Newb; it can sink a ship......:laughing:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know it can rip a brake line out, but has anybody had a tire cut? I would guess it could.

Scott and I have "broken" ice many times for over 20 years on the con. Never seen or heard of ice slicing a tire. Popping a bead (with single beadlocks or non beadlocks) coming out of icy holes yes, but they were running very low pressures.

I will be down for some snow wheeling next weekend.:)

Cheers. Toyrocs

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thickest icebreaking I've done was 4" thick. Broke through where running water was underneath partway across the fording and had to power through the rest of it. Tires were fine, on the wheels I had the valvestems were behind the wheel center so they were protected. I did crush the oil filter though, but not enough to leak badly.

I'd worry more about cracking a radiator bottom tank, ripping off hoses or lines, and crushing oil filters. Oh and don't ever let it freeze in solid if you get stuck, I knew a guy who ripped the axles clean out from under his jeep when they tried yanking it out still frozen in.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sure it can. But it isn't very common, the problem is usually a rock hiding under snow, water or ice.

Clear ice is a lot more likely to damage tires than cloudy ice since it is harder.

Deflated tires are more likely to get cut by rocks or ice in my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts