Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A question for those wiser than me.

Recently made a set of cranked arms up for a customer, I cranked them 12* for a 3" lift (that's what the maths suggested, based on my 10* cranked arms in my 2" lifted RRC), as that's the lift he said he was getting. I did not see the car until he came to fit them, hence couldn't measure anything...

Fitted the arms, however the car was still standard height, a few days later he fitted the lifted coils. Then sent me this pic.

Looks like they're cranked a little too much, bush wear add's to the affect... (they need replacing). I've told him that I'll fix them with good grace, however I have been unable to do so for a while, due to the end of uni term.

He has since claimed that they are causing uneven tyre wear! :confused: Is this possible?!?! From his side it is... but I've spoken to quite a few LR techs who call BS. So I pose the question to the PBB!

Note: Both arms are cranked identically, and have identical true lengths. The rear of a D1 has 0 toe and 0 camber from factory anyway... To me, it shouldn't do shit. But I'd like to know if I'm missing something...

So what-say, Rover guys? I'll fix/replace them anyway, just curious.

Cheers
Will

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like his bushings are compressed enough. That washer looks loose.
"aren't"?

Lots of bushing material worn away... they are tight on the crush tube, I've told him they need replacing...

Un even rear tire wear?
Yup. The other LR techs I've talked to are saying the shocks are fucked. My theory, and a few guys agree, is that the trailing arm pins are moving fore and aft in the bushes, due to the worn away material. Hence accentuating rear steer on accel/overrun. It's clutching at straws, but until I alter/replace the arms, and there's new bushes in there, I feel somewhat curious/responsible to offer a solution.

Pics of the alleged tires?
Working on it...

this should be interesting :shaking:
Tell me about it... :barf:

Cheers
Will

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you lengthen them?
I didn't, they only lose 1.5mm true length with the crank, and with the lift, considering that the A-frame is shorter, the pinion angle is more inline with what it should be anyway.

That's what I found with my car anyway, I tried a few different lengths when I did the first set..

The best solution is to extend the arms a good 200 to 300mm IMO, but right now we don't want to hack at chassis'.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Looks like his bushings are compressed enough. That washer looks loose.
It's not a washer, it's part of a tube that runs through the bushing.

this should be interesting :shaking:
Do you remember how bad my DI was when the bushings were knackered?

IF he has worn bushings at either end, the axle will move on acceleration and deceleration. Typically, the right side will wear more severely than the left causing the axle to flop around. If not corrected, it will result in tire wear and eventually, shock absorber breakage.

To answer your question, if what you say is true, I'd look to bushings and bushing attachment points as they can become distorted as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not a washer, it's part of a tube that runs through the bushing.

Do you remember how bad my DI was when the bushings were knackered?

IF he has worn bushings at either end, the axle will move on acceleration and deceleration. Typically, the right side will wear more severely than the left causing the axle to flop around. If not corrected, it will result in tire wear and eventually, shock absorber breakage.

To answer your question, if what you say is true, I'd look to bushings and bushing attachment points as they can become distorted as well.
Depending on the brand, the 'washer' is either separate, or part of the crush tube in the bush. Doesn't matter as it's tight on that. But I can see the fore-aft movement due to the shagged bushes, causing problems...

Gee IDK, I'm pretty sure that's a big ass washer.....
Can't remember if this guys bushes have a separate of fixed washer... Either way, when he ordered the arms I asked him if he wanted bushes too (I get my gear at trade price), that was a no... When I fitted the arms I said to change them ASAP.

Ya get pics of the tires. Something doesn't sound right.
Nope, not yet, but my bets are on his bushes causing the problem. Good to see a fair bit of agreement.

Cheers Guys.
Will.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can I just say with my limited experience I can tell you right now that the bush you have provided an image of is not showing signs of an over cranked arm.

Your arms are not over cranked.

The opening at the base of the bush is due to a bend in that metal portion of the bush (the washer is bent), from UNDER cranked arms / too much down travel. Happens to my bushes all the time. Even with my arms being cranked for a 5" lift.

The bushes should be replaced with genuine LR. But are probably 'ok' to use for a lil longer if need be.

Without looking at the type of wear present on the tread its hard to state what the cause of the tyre wear is. But driving style aside, wear is more likely due to either, bad shock selection or a dud shock all together. If it is from the suspension links then it's a failure to maintain and replace bushings (could be any of the 6 rubber bushes failed or the ball joint itself).

Your customer is being difficult.
Hope you can sort this.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Gee IDK, I'm pretty sure that's a big ass washer.....
I'd have thought you'd learn by now.

It is a flange on a tube that runs all the way through the bushing.

If you had any decent education, you'd know A: not to argue such topics with me and B: you'd know how it went together.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd have thought you'd learn by now.

It is a flange on a tube that runs all the way through the bushing.

If you had any decent education, you'd know A: not to argue such topics with me and B: you'd know how it went together.
I was thinking of the Orange Poly bushings I had. That was a separate washer with those.
Either way, the pictured bushing looks to be garbage and will continue to be garbage until replaced with a GENUINE or Poly bushing.
As fer edjumacashun, I've gotten this far in life without a college degree and I don't have the hefty loans associated with one. In 13 years I went from an entry level employee to the boss at 34. I pull a decent enough salary where I can afford to have my wife stay home with our kids rather than ship them of to some daycare to be raised.
So I'm just fine being "uneducated". ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts