Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I'm carrying more and more gear, spare parts, etc. I keep most things in soft-side bags, backpacks, etc. Problem is I'm getting so much I don't know the best way to keep it all in and down!

Please post pics, ideas, tips, etc, etc, on how you carry all your crap and keep it safe, secure, and still somewhat available.

Talk to me, tell me, let me know.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
My thoughts exactly Lance.

You probably wouldn't need Dana 60's if you didn't have a spare vehicle dis-assembled in the back of your trail rig.

I ususally take a cooler, and a couple of milk crates with basic hand tools (all in one 50 cal ammo can) and a two milk crates of recovery equipment with stuff like elec. tape, oil, brake fluid etc.

That's about all I can fit in the zuk anyway.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Lance, if you break less because you leave all the stuff in the tow rig, hate to see what happens when you haul it in!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I've got a Zuke as well, only thing I wouldn't want all that crap go flying if and when I roll. I'm not ready to wear a helmet while wheeling like some site suggested. I had a good laugh at that one!

Another thing is I travel some distance on runs. I log over 70 miles on some. Not exactly convenient to run back to the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Put everything in a big Rubbermaid box, and get some motorcycle tie-down straps from Walmart or Lowes to hold it down.

Get a few extra straps... You never know what you might do with 'em. :D

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
i use a box like this http://doityourself.com/store/6983001.htm in the bed of my jeep.... bolted to the cage with a caribeaner to keep the lid from poping open in rollove situations.

Holds gallon of atf, gallon of antifreeze, gallon of 90w, winch acc'y. bag, spare stubs,spare driveline, tools too big to fit in the 2 ammo cans i have, soft sided tool bag, lunch, and still some more room to spare. works great.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Go to an army navy surplus stor and find an old heavy canvas duffle bag. The on I have is huge and super tough. I just run a tie down strap thruogh the handles and i'm good to go.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
If you have the beack seat out and still have the holes in teh floor for the seat you can do what I did on my YJ:

I got a big rubbermaid box, drilled holes in the bottom, and bolted it to the floor using the back seat holes.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Here's what I did when this was my wheelin/camping rig;)

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Another shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I plan ahead with my clubmates or whoever I'm wheeling with.

Best way I have found to keep the weight down is not to carry every damn thing yourself.

Six rigs on one run do not really need six of the same tools or, hopefully, six of the same axles, etc.

Plan as a group not as an individual.

A lot of stuff I'll leave at the camp too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TexasBlakeWFO said:
If you have the beack seat out and still have the holes in teh floor for the seat you can do what I did on my YJ:

I got a big rubbermaid box, drilled holes in the bottom, and bolted it to the floor using the back seat holes.
I think this sounds like a great idea. I think i'd use some large fender washers or flat bar inside the box to stregnthen the mounting points. They make some nice boxes for quads. I may check and see if they might fit.

I've also thought about making an angle iron base frame that would fit ammo cans and then make a bar to lock/secure them in place. That way I could mark cans with different items. Anybody done something like that?

By the way Mustard, I finally understand the name! That is a really cool box. That may be the best option yet.

·
Registered
801 Posts
gnrrpreacher said:
I plan ahead with my clubmates or whoever I'm wheeling with.

Best way I have found to keep the weight down is not to carry every damn thing yourself.

Six rigs on one run do not really need six of the same tools or, hopefully, six of the same axles, etc.

Plan as a group not as an individual.

A lot of stuff I'll leave at the camp too.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on your statement, "Plan as a group not as an individual."

The only thing I plan with a group is where we are going wheeling.

I come prepared to fix my stuff with my tools and my parts. I don't like having to depend on someone else's packing skills to bring stuff. I have always been the one that comes prepared for most to all situations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts